Top 10% Min Requirement Raised

Wonka
Org Profile

Post by Wonka » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:31 am

There will always be BS reviews, on both sides of the spectrom. The only real fix to this is to simply not put so much (or any for that matter) weight on the list in the first place.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:10 pm

Wonka wrote:There will always be BS reviews, on both sides of the spectrom. The only real fix to this is to simply not put so much (or any for that matter) weight on the list in the first place.
There's a part of me that sort of wishes there wasn't any sort of ranking at all. If we didn't have it, we wouldn't have any of this BS. At the same time, people *shouldn't* put so much weight on it, but I can't really push my beliefs on someone else...oh well.

At the same time, I understand why it exists...we do need something to help people search for "good" (by their definition) videos and so on.

So, unfortunately, I agree and yet...I would like to see improvements made. I guess I'm an idealist :-P.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:34 am

Thankfully, from what I can tell, the BS reviews are NEVAR enough to "take down" a video if it's got the "strength" to continue...

Hey, if I recieve one of those, I'd just shrug it off. All I need to do is check this person's credibility... ^_^ [# ops, # vids made, etc...]

We KNOW who the credible people are...
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:53 pm

Hey All,

As a reminder, the top 10% scores on the "olympic" average by dropping the top and bottom 10% of the score before averaging. This means that some 10s and 1s are automatically disreguarded from the average scoring.

Phade.

istiv
Org Profile

Post by istiv » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:57 am

Hi guys

sorry for upping this already many discussed topic, but i still have a problem with the top10%.

This is top is to propose the best AMVs on the .org but, i'm still deceive by some AMVs in the upper part of it. There is (why ? i dunno) AMVs that don't have the qualities to be in this top then others that are required in it, they aren't here... look at shinji13's opinion exchange projects, you will agree with that.

i think you should increase again the opinions ratio from 7 to 10 or 20, that would eliminate all average (i don't say they are bad, but just not as good as others) videos. Be sure that the good videos will have these 10 or 20 opinions easily. look at euphoria or tainted donuts.
I guess that, need to think about a system to make more people opinion vids. i've thinked about it,, it's difficult ^^;; that's true... but best videos will be shown in this top.

Don't complain guys,it'snot a personal request, my videos will surely never appears in the top with this system, but if one day i have a vid in this top i will be really proud of it, in front of be in the top but near a vid like the kenshin 10 Mb .rm video i saw, that have the same rating as euphoria, with 8 opinions ...

One other thing is the importance of the "review" score in an opinion (here i speak as an amv creator). the review opinion is for me a completely faked scoring parameter. i received opinion from guys that likes all in my amvs but allow me a 3-5 score in the review section...
2 choices:
- they really won't review the vid, so sorry for talking about this, maybe i'm parano.
-they want to crush some vid in the top by the importance of the review score and the low words they have to write to explain their "review opinion". it's easy to say i won't review it... author can't say nothing about that.

I think the effort and the overall scores are the real scores. then maybe add an artistic score. i think it's really different from the originality score, it would permit to score lyrics sync, or vids that bring a message.

thanks for reading me, and sorry to be as late in the discussion.
(i hope you will understand all that i said, english is not my main language :/)

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:42 am

10 or 20 ops is way too much. What if you were a not well know amv creator, had a good video, but couldnt get the required ops to get on the chart? That isnt very fair =\ and you would have to whore for opinions

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:26 pm

LightningCountX wrote:10 or 20 ops is way too much. What if you were a not well know amv creator, had a good video, but couldnt get the required ops to get on the chart? That isnt very fair =\ and you would have to whore for opinions
That's pretty much the situation I find myself in, and I was actually planning to get some opinion exchanges going once I finish my Children Project section and have some time for actually watching vids and giving ops.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:23 pm

istiv wrote:Be sure that the good videos will have these 10 or 20 opinions easily. look at euphoria or tainted donuts.
Maybe, but keep in mind that both of those vids are 'con' vids - meaning they were widely seen. If they were nameless they would have had to pimp their vids in op exchanges until enough people paid attention to them to realize they were good.

Euphoria won at 3 contests (listed on the vid page) - and has near 400 reviews - you can bet a lot are because it's already at the top of the list, but many were definitely drawn in *because* it was shown at a con.
By contrast, Tainted Donuts lists one con and has 266 reviews - again, many because it is so high on the list, but you can bet a lot came from the vid being shown in public.

In that case, you might as well say the good vids that show at cons where many can see them will get the reviews they deserve. And any who don't submit to cons, or aren't well-known for having won at cons, obviously aren't worth it anyway, so no great loss there.

But really...raise the minimum and the same thing will come up again when another vid ranks with the top ones and people don't think it deserves it - you'll have to raise it yet again to weed them out. With op exchanges, there's no limit to how many reviews a person can get. You can only hope that if you raise it high enough only the well-known con vids will be included.

[Quick note on the 'reviewability' - I don't think it should count more than the other scores, but you have to realize how important it is as a score by itself. You can have the best edited/looking vid in the world, but if no one wants to watch it, the vid shouldn't be on that list. The 'reviewable' is the main 'opinion' area of the scores, so it being counted highest goes along with the idea of a popularity contest rather than just judging the 'perfection' of the editing. It's like voting for prom queen, not ranking the SAT scores...]

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:05 am

Arigatomyna wrote:Maybe, but keep in mind that both of those vids are 'con' vids - meaning they were widely seen. If they were nameless they would have had to pimp their vids in op exchanges until enough people paid attention to them to realize they were good.

Euphoria won at 3 contests (listed on the vid page) - and has near 400 reviews - you can bet a lot are because it's already at the top of the list, but many were definitely drawn in *because* it was shown at a con.
By contrast, Tainted Donuts lists one con and has 266 reviews - again, many because it is so high on the list, but you can bet a lot came from the vid being shown in public.

In that case, you might as well say the good vids that show at cons where many can see them will get the reviews they deserve. And any who don't submit to cons, or aren't well-known for having won at cons, obviously aren't worth it anyway, so no great loss there.
I don't mean to generalize, but at least with my experience, being shown at a con doesn't seem to increase the number of opinions by *that* much (to the point of hundreds).

At the same time, after being shown at Otakon, I *did* get 5 or 6 more reviews that week, but nothing of the same magnitude that you are speaking of.

Again, I know I'm just one person, but just figured I'd throw in my two cents since others I know that submit to cons seem to have similar results. IMO getting lots of opinions has a lot of factors involved like well...creating a good video, your personality within the community and so on.
Arigatomyna wrote:[Quick note on the 'reviewability' - I don't think it should count more than the other scores, but you have to realize how important it is as a score by itself. You can have the best edited/looking vid in the world, but if no one wants to watch it, the vid shouldn't be on that list. The 'reviewable' is the main 'opinion' area of the scores, so it being counted highest goes along with the idea of a popularity contest rather than just judging the 'perfection' of the editing. It's like voting for prom queen, not ranking the SAT scores...]
Wholeheartedly agree...esp. on the "if no one wants to watch it..." line.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Return to “Site Announcements”