Admin Introduction

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:24 pm

Extensive webbased system. The issue is, they are from the desendants of what was WBS. 4 main sites, three using the same perl scripts (For one site it's propritary, older barebones versions are put out under GNU and the others use those), another uses a lesser capable webchat code it keeps to itself.

An interesting world, each site has it's own politics for intersite interaction, the realms within the sites will fight amongst themselves. So, you can piss of a small contingant and it has a quantum effect.

More funny, I am the most skilled at bypassing site security (Not like using a proxy and hotmail accounts is really a skill, it's lower then a script kiddy, yet effective)

I once sliped fake mail into a mailing list and managed to make members of two sites convinced they were going to merge.

I once made an administrator resign after she found I had been administrating a realm for 4 weeks and playing, dispite being banished from the system as a whole.

It's fun being angry.

It's sad that anyone can be an unstopable little jerk with only a proxy. But that's behind me. In this case, the situation is different. I'm just bitching because I'm watching poor administration cause decent. :P

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:08 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:In this case, the situation is different. I'm just bitching because I'm watching poor administration cause decent. :P
The problem was is not poor administration causing dissent, but lack of visibility causing a general anarchy. When you have nice, visible mods in place, the general populace as a whole tends to act better/more mature due to the natture of the human mind. When you have mods that are invisible, that principle goes to hell. Think about it this way: What if all Police officers were undercover? You wouldn't know who to trust, who was a cop and who wasn't, and crimes would be committed because nobody knew who was a cop and who wasn't. Now think about how you drive on the highway when you are following a cop car. You drive a little slower and more cautiously don't you? The same principle goes for seeing that name at the bottom of the page, or having said name post in your thread.

Shit, I've said my piece; I hope you understand my theory.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:17 pm

No, I can fully agree to that. But isn't a lack of visiability, poor administration itself?

azulmagia
Org Profile

Post by azulmagia » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:57 pm

Dannywilson wrote:
DJ_Izumi wrote:In this case, the situation is different. I'm just bitching because I'm watching poor administration cause decent. :P
The problem was is not poor administration causing dissent, but lack of visibility causing a general anarchy. When you have nice, visible mods in place, the general populace as a whole tends to act better/more mature due to the natture of the human mind. When you have mods that are invisible, that principle goes to hell.
Yeah, it sucks that almost nobody knows here who the mods are, how many mods there are, what forums they moderate, and if any mods were relieved of their duties in the wake of the OT debacle. It would be nice if other mods/admins came out of the closet. Inquiring minds would like to to know.

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:11 pm

It must kill you to not see a yellow name at the bottom of the screen.

azulmagia
Org Profile

Post by azulmagia » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:15 pm

fyrtenheimer wrote:It must kill you to not see a yellow name at the bottom of the screen.
You read my mind, Fyrt.

:shock:

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:32 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:No, I can fully agree to that. But isn't a lack of visiability, poor administration itself?
The theory behind the inviso-mods/admins was a good one in THEORY, but a poor one in practice. The idea was that most of these invisible moderators go to conventions, as do alot of the people that frequent these boards. The problem would be that if someone was lets say... unstable, that a forum gripe could turn into a VERY real physical altercation outside of the forums. This was meant to combat this perceived threat. In reality, most people, no matter how crazy their internet persona may be, are actually well adjusted people in real life. But there is still that 1% that MIGHT do something. I am in favor of any moderator that reads this to speak up, give their name, and speak their piece.

-Wilson Out
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:34 pm

Isn't there an equal risk that I, or someone else will come up and break jBone's (Or some other dick) knee caps with a baseball bat at a random con?

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:43 pm

that would be pretty pathetic of you, wouldn't you think?

but i guess that's your style.

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:10 am

Scott Melzer is a mod.

Return to “Site Announcements”