Off Topic Section Removed

madmag9999
Org Profile

Post by madmag9999 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:59 pm

even though i loved wot and thats where i posted most often i did see this comeing i mean lately it has really filled up with spam. although i hate to see those forums go i understand why u did it and respect u for your disision
Moonslayer's Guide to a-m-v.org | AD & ErMaC's Guides to Audio & Video
"I'm sorry but i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die."

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:02 am

madmag9999 wrote:even though i loved wot and thats where i posted most often i did see this comeing i mean lately it has really filled up with spam. although i hate to see those forums go i understand why u did it and respect u for your disision
Yeah, this is the holiday season, there is natrually going to be more drama this time of year. If phade can't handle the WOT forums then maybe instead of closing them down, he could get people that KNOW how to handle them instead. It isn't like he pays the mods to do their work.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:05 am

The other forums already have spam leaking in every time an OT-junkie comes up to post. And a lot of OT threads end up being more like a chat than any sort of discussion. The chat room will still be available, right? Who knows, maybe this will lead to actual discussion in there. And with the mods not having to mess with the OT sections, they should have more time to catch and kill the spam in the other forums. [Though I'm sure General Anime will be the next section to go - I give it a few weeks at best.]

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:05 am

CaTaClYsM wrote: Yeah, this is the holiday season, there is natrually going to be more drama this time of year. If phade can't handle the WOT forums then maybe instead of closing them down, he could get people that KNOW how to handle them instead. It isn't like he pays the mods to do their work.
There doesn't NEED to be an "Off Topic" section on SOMEONE ELSE'S forum for YOUR convenience.. that's the thing. It was a luxury everyone was granted; it was taken advantage of, and that luxury was taken away.

Poo on everyone else, not Phade, for causing it.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:06 am

Funny how the only people upset are the undesirables that the people who have HALF AN OUNCE OF INTELLECT would rather see gone, anyway.

None of the people saying they _need_ it there contribute anything worthwhile anywhere else, and the "anywhere else" is the important part of this forum.

Spam won't increase elsewhere, it'll be deleted. Phade will get more moderators if he needs to.

No forum needs a place for the useless shit to be thrown; rather, all forums need less useless shit.

This action is the first step to actually make these forums marginally useful again.

Now, all wee need is a 2-week waiting period in which people can read but not post after first creating an account. :)
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

KhayotiK
Org Profile

Post by KhayotiK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:09 am

Phade Support Post:

The OT forums had become out of his hands. The amount of shit that was spewed was pretty high, and I think he's doing a good attempt to get it back to the root: AMVs. I know there was a bunch of FUN shit in the OT, names were made and broken there, but it's gone retarded. Brutally retarded. I personally think someday, when the smoke has cleared, it may be a good idea to bring it back. But where it was when he locked it? Good for you, Phade.
Image Image

Declan_Vee
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Declan_Vee » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:10 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

"The Off Topic forums were desecrated to oblivion and Phade chose to lock them instead of cleaning up the mess. We should all thank him for a job well done."
AMV Search | AMV Guides
AMV Live. "It's like Iron Chef, only too many cooks will spoil the broth"

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:58 am

jbone wrote:None of the people saying they _need_ it there contribute anything worthwhile anywhere else, and the "anywhere else" is the important part of this forum.
No amount of videos in MP4 can make up for that display of ignorance. Hows about you go through the GV and GVS forums looking for my posts. Then tell me I didn't contribute anything. Meanwhile, for the year and a half of my stay here, I was one of the largest OT/WOT posters. Sometimes the most intelligent posts in the forum, sometimes the most spam. That stick in your ass doesn't make everyone else incapable of being serious when necessary, easy-going when not.

Now let's see if I can outelite the elitists.
Personally I don't care, soley because I've become bored with this community. My generation has all but passed, and at this rate I'll never wind up producing a releaseworthy AMV. I'm not interested in the new generation of posters, and I have no interest in the trivial problems of the video forums. If I do come around, it would be to introduce something new and interesting (still working on that Advanced Content Mpeg 4...), have the rare real discussion, or help with guides and projects.
Admittedly, I've pulled a trbarry. Life offline has finally superceded life online.

Finally, I'd like to know if OT is going to be pruned a last time and taken off the forum, or just remain locked. If it's to be pruned there are a few threads I'd really like to back up first. I would greatly appreciate that info, if phade so wishes to reply.

I'm not gonna argue the politics of the decision, cause like I said, I just don't care these days. That be all.
◔ ◡ ◔

El Banana
Org Profile

Post by El Banana » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:52 am

Well, this is it then.

I came here because ever since I found it 3-4 years ago, this was a great place to chat. I don't make videos, although I do watch anime. And I had never posted outside the off topics and anime forums, mainly because I make no videos.
I watch them.

Granted, this place was getting really stupid, but it's had its ups and downs over the years. And there was still a group of intelligent posters left, with whom I enjoyed chatting.
But I suppose all things come to an end. It was nice meeting some of you people. But I'm not a productive member of the community, so I doubt I'll be missed. :?

Ta ta.
I like bugging people. Deal with it.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:13 am

This is an AMV site. The forum is a peripheral to it. If you're genuinely here for the AMVs, then essentially nothing will change on the site. I don't see why anyone who is here primarily for posting and watching AMV sees this as a great loss. AMV-wise, this removal of OT is no great detriment.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Return to “Site Announcements”