What is "Karma"

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

What is "Karma"

Post by DiemondDagger » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:10 am

What is it?
It's an option and I was away for a while before the new a-m-v.org was up and running so what is it?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:29 am

It's not yet set up, but eventually I think we'll be able to save up Karma Points for little plastic soldiers or whatnot, like you'd get at Chuck E. Cheese. :-D

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:41 am

SO AWESOME! :D

I'ma gonna get me some G.I.Joes!
(I miss those) :cry:

melezov
Org Profile

What is "Karma"

Post by melezov » Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:18 am

Karma has quite a karma. Long after India's seers immortalized it in the Vedas, it suffered bad press under European missionaries who belittled it as "fate" and "fatalism," and today finds itself again in the ascendancy as the subtle and all-encompassing principle which governs man's experiential universe in a way likened to gravity's governance over the physical plane. Like gravity, karma was always there in its fullest potency, even when people did not comprehend it. The early seers who brought through the Vedas were practitioners, mystics and divine oracles who put into practice the knowledge of karma. To them, Karma -- from the root kri, "to do" -- was a power by which they could influence the Gods, nature, weather, harvests and enemies through right intent and rites righteously performed. Thus by their actions they could determine their destiny. Through the ages, other realized souls explained the workings of karma, revealing details of this cosmic law and, when the tradition of writing came into vogue, recording it for future generations. In this way they established karma as perhaps the fundamental principle of Hindu consciousness and culture then and now.

But karma has suffered a chronic association with the word fate. Fate is a Western idea, derived largely from the three Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. It means, with wide variation, that one's life has been set by agencies outside oneself. Karma is exactly the opposite. "`It is the coward and the fool who says this is fate,' goes the Sanskrit proverb," said Swami Vivekananda. "But it is the strong man who stands up and says, `I will make my fate.'"

Please feel free to ask about anything else you don't "dig".

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:31 pm

.................................. :shock: .......................................

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:31 pm

melezov,

I think you missed something...the "karma" he's talking about is a selection on the left side menu of the members page.

I would have no idea what it could be for. I guess I'll scan the 'to do' list for clues :)

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:04 pm

Karma, as far as I know (which is very little right now), is a sort of reward system designed to recognize acts of 'good' in the Org. Like helping people in the forums, submitting guides, maybe reviews. Stuff like that. I don't think I'm totally wrong here...
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”