Real question: DVD --> HuffYUV --> edit --> DVD...

Pr0crastin8r
Org Profile

Real question: DVD --> HuffYUV --> edit --> DVD...

Post by Pr0crastin8r » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:50 am

I'm using DVD source footage... I know how to use avisynth with premiere/virtualdub, and I know how to make HuffYUV files. I am using purely interlaced 23.97 fps video. I have TMPGenc.

I want to encode the clips I want into HuffYUV (easy enough), edit in premiere, and then encode back to mpeg-2. I want to keep it interlaced as HuffYUV and not use any IVTC filters in avisynth. When I re-encode to mpg-2 with the interlace checkbox checked, should it encode right and re-interlace? I've had problems with this before and I'd hate to findout that I did something wrong at the beginning of the project and can't finish it. Thanks for any help!

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:53 am

23.976 fps footage should not be interlaced.

Are you selecting Force FILM in dvd2avi? You should only use this option for progressive dvds.

Your source footage should be 29.97 if it's interlaced.

Anyway, once you fix that you should have 29.97fps footage you can edit in premiere and export as huffYUV and encode to interlaced mpeg2 no problem.

Pr0crastin8r
Org Profile

Post by Pr0crastin8r » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:22 am

how very odd... i remember thinking that to myself... but on dvd2avi, the status window did not say film, it explicitly said interlaced, 23.976fps. i'll check it out again... damn that DVD2avi, its given me more problems than its worth!

Pr0crastin8r
Org Profile

Post by Pr0crastin8r » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:23 am

Oh, i have one more question. in virtualdub you can mux lets say a divx video stream and an mp3 audio stream. when dealing with mpeg2 in tmpgenc, can you do that? or do you have to stick with wave/pcm/mp2/dd?

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:16 am

in dvd2avi there is an option to "force FILM". This will reduce the fps to 23.976 even if your source is interlaced and not FILM. This is why you need to DESELECT that option. ^_^

As for muxing an mp3, yes it is possible you either:

a) make an mp3 with a wav header so you can load it into virtualdub (must be constant bitrate)

b) use nandub and load in the mp3 as an audio stream (my preferred method)

For more audio encoding tips, please refer to my audio guide (link below).

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:20 pm

He was asking aobut TMPGEnc, not VirtualDub. :-)

It's possible to mux in some types of audio, but you're best off sticking with MPEG-1 layer II (.mp2) audio. Anything else has the potential to confuse computers.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:29 pm

So he was.

In any case, if he just read my Audio Guide he wouldn't need to ask any questions because I have a section on muxing audio with mpeg1.

^_^

Return to “Video & Audio Help”