Proposal for changed review system

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:51 pm

flint_the_dwarf wrote:Hmm... yeah people generally seem to like being unsatisfied with stuff.
Like women and sex with dwarf's..
just kidding buddy ^_^ you left it open for reply though.

I think I'll give you a free review if you have a video.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:14 am

mexicanjunior wrote:There's exceptions to everything and an all 1's review is certainly worthy of being deleted by Phade because no video really deserves it....A minor tweak here and there is fine but a complete revamp is unneccssary IMHO.
The all-1's review in question is not a "review" in any sense of the word. It's a deliberate obstruction (several screens of irrelevant and tasteless text) that is intended to make it difficult for an opinion browser to get to the positive reviews that are listed below it. It is also directly contest-related - I won't discuss which until that convention has taken place. I presented the link since this topic is about improving the review system and that is an example of the kind of abuse it's being used for.

I still think the reviews need to be moderated, but I agree with you that a complete change is not needed. Most of the reviews I've been given are worth reading (and I still owe you one; haven't forgotten, just busy with contest deadlines).

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:32 am

Zarxrax wrote:...Instead, people would use the opinions more for what they were actually designed for - giving helpful feedback to the videos creator.
Maybe you're being a little too optimistic :). I don't see that the top 10% is a problem with regard to reviews, although I'm sure some people are misusing the review system to get in the top 10%, just as others are misusing the system for other reasons. The quick solution for the 10% list is to raise the threshold opinion count to something like 200 instead of 3. This will shorten the list and also make it very difficult for anyone to manipulate the results.

I do like your idea for a simple up-down vote. That could work if phade had the time to write the code.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:07 am

*Sniffs* No one likes me.... That's it Diemond, just for that I'm going to usurp your position in the Most Useful Commentators list. Mwa ha ha ha that'll teach ya! Right behind you!!!

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:03 am

Battle of the opinions.

Grid Lock! :x

^_^

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:43 am

Hey,

Finally the site is stable for more than 20 mins...

Anyways, the thumb scale has been an idea for quite some time. I was going to have it available for v.2, but I didn't get around to it in time for the rollout. I even had text referring to it that I had to remove since it's not here yet.
TaranT: The quick solution for the 10% list is to raise the threshold opinion count to something like 200 instead of 3.
The reason it is at 3 is so you can more quickly find what other people think is a good video. If you don't think it's good, post your honest opinion saying so. There is nothing wrong with an honest opinion.

As for who pushed for the top 10% in the begining, I won't say directly, but leave it up to you to research it when the old forum is back up in read-only mode; you may be suprised.

Phade.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:50 am

Phade wrote:Hey,

Finally the site is stable for more than 20 mins...

Anyways, the thumb scale has been an idea for quite some time. I was going to have it available for v.2, but I didn't get around to it in time for the rollout. I even had text referring to it that I had to remove since it's not here yet.
TaranT: The quick solution for the 10% list is to raise the threshold opinion count to something like 200 instead of 3.
The reason it is at 3 is so you can more quickly find what other people think is a good video. If you don't think it's good, post your honest opinion saying so. There is nothing wrong with an honest opinion.

As for who pushed for the top 10% in the begining, I won't say directly, but leave it up to you to research it when the old forum is back up in read-only mode; you may be suprised.

Phade.
Whoever pushed for it makes no difference Phade... that isn't the issue and bringing it up accomplishes what? Hell, for all I know I might have been one of the first to call for it, but after seeing it in action for a good time now I think it needs to change. I think some way of videos being recommended is good, but the top 10% walks a thing line between reviews and a popularity contest. It can skew preceptions as what a person has to do to make a really successful video. Leave that up to the creator and I just feel that the review / opinion system is currently trying to do two things which conflict with each other and devaule it. I would prefer a pure review system where the numbers don't matter in some popularity contest and a recommendation system like the thumbs as well.

Maboroshi

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:02 am

Phade wrote:As for who pushed for the top 10% in the begining, I won't say directly, but leave it up to you to research it when the old forum is back up in read-only mode; you may be suprised.

Go Phade! This is good that we can go back and read-only on the forums then we can give the n00bs those links when they ask a question that has been answered 9999999999 billion times.
Wise descion on your part Phade! I'd give you a thumb up if you could see me :D

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:42 pm

Originally posted by TaranT

...I still think the reviews need to be moderated...
I agree. We should from a group for moderating reviews to keep it useful & tidy. The review database isn't 'unlimited' y'know

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:02 am

Ahhh the review system a long and debated topic.....

well lets see i don't think anyone has come up with an acceptable alternative to the current system.....but i do have some suggestion.

1. Instead of 1-10 review it should be extended to decimals.

For example now you can have AMVs rated as 7.5 or 8.9 or 9.8 I myself have always had trouble giving an AMV a definite number when I review it adding decimals to the number system is simple to do for Phade and it makes a world of a difference, by providing a more accurate rating of an AMV.

2. Somehow opinions need to be organized for the creator.

Ie. when I go to see who has reviewed my AMVs today I can filter and view just AMV Creators' reviews from this site, or I can view non-AMV Creators' reviews from this site.

That way for those of us whom prefer reviews from fellow AMV Creators they get to see there colleagues reviews.

And also those of us whom prefer fan-based reviews we can see those aswell.

Thus as the creator we're able to distinguish btwn an AMV Creator review and a Fan review.
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”