Video Output Recommendations

SLB
Org Profile

Video Output Recommendations

Post by SLB » Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:34 pm

Now this may have been asked before, and it's probably been discussed somewhere, but I've been out of the AMV loop for quite some time now, and since I now have the money to put forth to get somewhere.....

I've seen a lot of discussion about input and capture cards here, which is all dandy and good. However, I have seen a lack of talk about output cards (VGA -> TV/VCR).

I am currently looking for a good output card/device. I want one that isn't dependant on which codec I use (i.e. will play both mpg's and avi's) as well as fill the screen (not the square black box I've seen with some 3D cards). I don't want to spend all my money on a big capture/output card (ie. Pinnicle DV500) but I want something that is going to give me good detail (not like the TV-out for most GeForce-based cards).

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:31 pm

IME, the TV out on ATI cards just plain smokes nVidia's. I chose a cheap Radeon VE ($60) for my home theater PC output.

I seem to recall hearing good things about Matrox TV out, as well. They definitely have winning 2d quality.

Beyond that, you'd probably have to spend $100 or more for a hardware RGB to TV converter.

That's all I can think of for doing it "realtime" on a budget.

Otherwise, you have to transcode to DV, or mpeg 1 or 2, and output to a mini DV camcorder, DVD, SVCD, or VCD, AFAIK.

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:52 pm

My dad is HOPEFULLY getting me a DV500+ for Haunakkah. I really want it, after what Ermac told me about it on AIM.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:53 pm

$450 is a big ticket haunakkah present...

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:55 pm

He's probably going to get it off eBay for me...damn it, aren't I the youngest computer whiz in the world? Jesus christ..My dad is 33 years older than me and I understand the concept of a Real-Time DV editing card, but he doesn't....

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:01 am

Yes, I was very cocky to, until this older man on the internet invited me to his place to "get cocky"...... :shock:

Okay, no that didn't happen... Be modest and people will take advantage of you, be over-confident and either you'll be called an ass, or wined up on your ass.

~klinky

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:02 am

I'm not trying to be an ass...just trying to be sarcastic..

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:08 am

Tuffle! Tuffle! No no no ;)

I don't know why I sad that don't worry ;)

~klinky

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:58 am

Do not even think about buying from sigma designs until you've read this.

http://www.videocoding.de/

Its doubtful that they will EVER get any of my money again.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”