AnimeNext 2003 AMV Contest - Complete Listing / Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:26 am

I don't care if I was officially "staff" or whatnot, but I have no problem with going on-record by saying AnimeNext 2003 was one of the worst conventions I've ever been to.

Nothing felt organized, it was impossible to talk to any of the other staff (with the exception of the con chair, Eugene Cheng) because they just didn't want to hear it, none of the events were interesting in the least...

So yeah. It sucked.

Despite constant pleading before and during the con, I just couldn't get anything shown. I had been e-mailing the main list and programming MONTHS before-hand with a list of things I'd like to show (which included NES and DDR), but no-one ever got back to me, and when I showed up to TBA slots with things to show... they told me they already filled them (with an episode of <I>Naruto</I>... woo-fuckin'-hoo... I mean, I like Naruto, but you can't fill a 1 hour slot with ONE EPISODE OF NARUTO).

So yeah. Nothing got shown. Sorry, guys... I really, really, really, really did try my hardest, though.

The DVD wasn't all a loss, though... I'll be showing it to the anime club here at Rutgers at some point :P I do appreciate your making the disc for us, despite not being able to show it at AnimeNext.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:06 am

I heard second hand that the entire con schedule for sunday was 13 hours of dubbed inuyasha.

omfg

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:15 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:I heard second hand that the entire con schedule for sunday was 13 hours of dubbed inuyasha.

omfg
But that's the "NEXT evolution of anime conventions", so it can't be that bad!

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:24 pm

I'm sure that, if enough people voice their complaints, they'll fix a lot of things up for next year. Right?

(At least I hope they do, because, unlike Rye, Secaucus is actually close enough that I could drive there for the day and not have to get a room...)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:57 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:I heard second hand that the entire con schedule for sunday was 13 hours of dubbed inuyasha.

omfg
I'm not sure if it was actually quite that much, but yeah- one of the main events rooms was showing nothing but a solid block of dubbed Inu Yasha on Sunday. And it had a rather large audience in there. This doesn't surprise me much though, given that some 1/5 of the cosplayers there seemed to be dressed up as IY characters.

The con staff did seem to really not be on top of, well, anything. The con had worked out having anime played on one of the channels of the hotel's closed circuit TV during the convention. Apparently someone forgot that, "Oh, yeah- we have to actually change the DVDs..." and the people staying in the hotel were treated to some 8 hours or more of watching one of the .hack DVD menu screens.

I'd have to agree with Mike though- of all the conventions I've been to so far (and this is including two this year that this was their first year in existence) AnimeNext was the least enjoyable. If it were going to be held in Rye again next year, I likely wouldn't bother making the effort unless I was on a panel and didn't have to pay for it. I did hear from a number of people though that last year was much better, and they'll be back where they were last year for next year's con. So hopefully you're right Scintilla, and between being back in a better place and with any/all complaints taken to heart, next year will be better. However, I very very seriously doubt I'll be making the drive down to Secaucus for it myself.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:59 pm

Ashyukun wrote:Neither the NES Project or DDR3 got played, by no fault of Meri or Mike.
Bummer. :(

ANTDrakko
Org Profile

Post by ANTDrakko » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:16 pm

Yeah, the con wasn't really that great at all, and this was my first con! It was really weird, and I'm sure VegettoEX and Meri can vouch, when a random staff member came running into the AMV panel saying how "Everybody had to leave the building as soon as possible". I felt like we were about to be shot by some terrorists or something!

:shock: Eep!

But it was cool to meet some familiar names in the AMV community.

~Seen
Seenage Inc. Webmaster/Producer

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:45 pm

Could you tell me where Holy War Good vs. Evil Finished I willn't be dissapointed.

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:18 pm

Could some one find out what rank and what percent of the votes we got for our video I'm really curious since this was my first offical contest a video of ours got in.

ANTDrakko
Org Profile

Post by ANTDrakko » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:09 pm

What video was yours?

Return to “AMV Contests”