Proposal for changed review system

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Proposal for changed review system

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:11 am

As many of you know, the current review system has quite a few faults. For example many people simply want to leave their opinion, yet dont want to write a lot, which causes lots of almost worthless reviews. Also there is the issue of people giving out reviews that are merely attacks on the creator, or praise, intended to hurt/help the videos position on the top 10% list.

So how to fix this? Well here is a proposal that I've made regarding one possible way to make things better. This idea seems to have a lot of support already. Please note that this is mostly not my own ideas, but I've merely consolidated the ideas of others. Please submit your own ideas to this topic too!

First of all, get rid of the top 10% as we know it currently. I'm sure Phade has put a lot of work into it, but it really is rather pointless, and it leads people to make reviews into these so-called popularity contests.

Next thing, LEAVE the current review system as it is, though put a disaimer on it saying that if you are going to leave a review, you MUST write something that is verbose and well thought-out. Now I don't mean you must write page long reviews or more, but at least 2 good paragraphs. There is the possibility of restricting only other creators to being able to post these reviews, but I'm not quite sure how much I like that idea. It would also be nice if there were buttons added on the reviews so the creator could send private messages or email to the person that left the review.

Finally, add a new type of opinion in addition to the current review system. This would simply be a thumbs up/neutral/down opinion, and maybe allow for a few lines of comment. Any registered member of the site should be able to post one of these.

Now regarding the top 10%, there could be a new thing similar to it created, but utilizing the thumbs scores. Essentially, all videos would start at a score of zero. Every thumbs up would add +1 to the score, while every thumbs down would add -1 to the score, and neutral would not change the score at all. Essentially, the higher a videos score, the more popular it is. Since it would be so easy to leave this sort of opinion, videos could easily get hundreds of them.

Now finally, I'll explain the purpose of these changes and how I think they would improve things. With the removal of the current top 10%, there would be absolutely no reason for anyone to write a pointless review. The ONLY person that it would effect would be the person that recieves the review. (Though they could still choose to make up to 2 opinions public) Even if someone decided they hate your guts and so they give you straight 1's, who really gives a damn now, it wont matter in the least.
Now the thumbs reviews, they would serve merely as a gauge of public opinion to your video. This would give people the ability to simply state their opinion of your video without having to give you a pointless review. Since everyone would likely recieve LOTS of these types of opinions, it wouldn't really matter even if someone did give you a thumbs down or something just because they hate your guts, as that 1 opinion wouldnt have much weight. Also this would make the people that never get opinions happier, as they WILL get some sort of opinions on their videos.

So now what does everyone think of this? Does anyone have any objections to this sort of review system? Do you love this idea? If everyone would be happy with this, then we could throw the idea to Phade and let it become a reality.

What ideas do YOU have? What I have mentioned above is but one proposal. There is certainly room left for other ideas! Let's all work together to make this site as good as it possibly can be!

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:30 am

I proposed a lot of stuff in the past to modify the review system and the top 10% but none of my ideas went through :?

I personally think that limiting creators only to leave extensive feedback could be a serious drawback in the end. I admit that there aren't many non-creators that leave that kind of feedback but we still have some (Xanthrax is one of them for instance).

I also proposed the "quick review" to make people more incline to leave feedback... but this wouldn't affect that much the top 10% I believe. The flaw with the current system is that it doesn't take into account the number of total reviews of a video, so one AMV with three "10 across the board" is placed above one with an average of 9.50 on 100+ reviews.

Is this fair? Obviously not. We can do something about it? Maybe.

Personally I don't care about the top 10%... I believe last time I checked it was 3 or 4 months ago.

If everybody stopped caring about the top charts world would be a better place ;)
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

punistation
Org Profile

Post by punistation » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:47 am

I propose Phade does everything else on his TO DO list, before even thinking about the Review System.

...not just because I'm looking forward to Golden Donut, but because I SO want that "Please give your opinion of my video" request. thing. My current begging doesn't seem to be working. I've been doin' the sweet n' innocent eyelash-fluttering thing so much, I once almost achieved flight under my own power.

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:40 pm

You're right turboneko, that certainly wouldn't be too fair to some of the people like Xanthrax. For your comments about the 10%, if you notice in my proposal of it, the score of a video would be directly related to how many people have rated it. Which I think could be an excellant way to get an accurate count of which videos are the most popular. The reasoning being, if it's popular, it must be pretty good, and therefore worth a download. However I've just realized a flaw of that sort of a system, which would be that older vids would have a huge advantage over newer ones, due to having more quick opinons left. One possible solution to that would be to only tally the opinons left over the last 30 days or so. Or as you mention, perhaps just dont even worry about having such a thing, and let it be removed altogether.
And punistation, your comment is valid, but completely off topic. We aren't discussing the order in which Phade should do anything at all. What he does is completely up to him. The purpose of this thread is simply to identify exactly WHAT is wrong with the current syatem, and how it can be improved.

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:48 pm

"i hate the top 10%! lets get rid of it and put something else in its place that's simliar in EVERY aspect!"

right... come on.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:48 pm

I don't understand where you're coming from Panda, please explain.

Jeez, why does no one want to discuss? This is a serious issue!

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:06 pm

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with the current review system to warrant overhauling it. It's fair and accurate in my eyes.

LongShot
Org Profile

Post by LongShot » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:32 pm

The review system is good as it is. But then again, that's just me.
Girls use me.

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:34 pm

I like your idea with the thumbs up but frankly I think it would only cause more troubles. People instead of complaing on bad scores would be complaining on getting Thumbs down. And what would have if one person got all neutrals, yet he had 8's and 9's in his score. It would only be unjustice to him. Because the thumbs up could be taken into the mind of some as a way of saying if you liked it or not, which isn't really the case it's whether it achieved it's goal or didn't, and whether it had good ideas and solid editing.

So it could pose more problems or decrease the problems. Either way I could barely care. Although if it were taken into effect I would still look at the score of the video before the thumbs up.

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:49 pm

yeah, i agree that the current system does have flaws as u have pointed out Zarxrax, but no matter what system you have, there will always be flaws. as for the need to change the system, i think their are other things that are higher ranked about that need. "Anime I've watched" section, Make members 'todo' lists and Add "collaboration" list to videos just to name a few of the many things on the to-do list. theres also the karma system which has been on there forever. Then there is the fact that he still is redoing the legacy sections of the site. So phade does have his work cut out for him.

in addition, shouldn't this post be in the site suggestion forum??

ZeWrestler
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”