What do I need to be able to hookup my video camera to my pc

ssjvegitto
Org Profile

What do I need to be able to hookup my video camera to my pc

Post by ssjvegitto » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:29 am

I want to know what kind of cord I would have to use to hook up my video camera to my pc? And where would I put that cord on my pc.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:07 am

What video camera is this?

What interface(s) does it use?

There's video cameras that can output via Firewire, in which case you need Firewire support in your OS, motherboard, and capture program. If it's not on-board, get a Firewire add-on card. There are video cameras that will output via USB 1.1 and/or USB 2.0. Almost every video camera has a video out, which you can similarly route. But that's not always the optimal solution.

In other words:

Give some details.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:09 am

trythil wrote:Almost every video camera has a video out, which you can similarly route. But that's not always the optimal solution.
"Route" as in routing video out -> capture card video in.

mofisto
Org Profile

Post by mofisto » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:03 pm

I think its blatently obvious :wink: we are talking about a parallel port here. What you need to do is go to Radio Shack and pick up the following. 4 wire RCA cables, 1 10' parallel printer cable. Then you need to splice the ends off of one side of each of the cables. Match up any wires that are Not black brown or yello. Then plug each end into your respective outlet. Then you need to download Parallel Port Capture Video. Its free from http://www.ismysiteupyet.com then you will be able to spool video feed in through you parallel port at a blazing 56kbps. This should suffice.

I'm naughty
- "People disappear all the time. Why don't they reappear? FEAR"

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:15 pm

mofisto wrote:I think its blatently obvious :wink: we are talking about a parallel port here. What you need to do is go to Radio Shack and pick up the following. 4 wire RCA cables, 1 10' parallel printer cable. Then you need to splice the ends off of one side of each of the cables. Match up any wires that are Not black brown or yello. Then plug each end into your respective outlet. Then you need to download Parallel Port Capture Video. Its free from http://www.ismysiteupyet.com then you will be able to spool video feed in through you parallel port at a blazing 56kbps. This should suffice.

I'm naughty

He man the printer port can reach speeds of up to 3MB or so!

:p

~klinky

ssjvegitto
Org Profile

Post by ssjvegitto » Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:21 pm

ok, i have to wait until the weekend before I can go to radio shack. But after I go i'll check this post again, and post any problems.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:47 pm

ssjvegitto wrote:ok, i have to wait until the weekend before I can go to radio shack. But after I go i'll check this post again, and post any problems.
Umm, teasing noobs is fun and all, but...

superVegetable dude, you do know that mofisto was joking, right?
it was funny, but I don't want to see even someone as foolish as you buy a bunch of cables and ruin them by cutting them up for nothing.

If you have a DV camcorder, you need a Firewire/1394 adapter.

If it takes any other kind of tape, VHS/8mm/beta/whatever, you need a capture card instead.

Do a little reading before asking such a vague question, willya?
So far you're coming across as hopelessly dim.

ssjvegitto
Org Profile

Post by ssjvegitto » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:04 pm

I know what I said almost seemed real. :lol: Anyway my camera is a Panasonic Palmsight PV-L657 with a Digital EIS Stabilization. So i guess i need that Firewire/1394 adapter. What is it and where can I get it. And how much does it cost? Sorry for all the questions.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:13 pm

My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

ssjvegitto
Org Profile

Post by ssjvegitto » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:05 pm

I checked the product comparison and the cheapest one is 49.99 So i wanted to know if firewire cards are suopposed to be in the $50-$200 range?

Return to “Hardware Discussion”