Divx Encoding

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:00 am

realplayer is good for small bitrates... but for large bitrates it's mp4 implementation is poor.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:28 am

Call me old fasioned, but I use good old Mpeg-1. I edit with Divx/DVD -> HufYUV source material, but I still use mpeg-1. You can get some very good results from mpeg, and there are several advantages.

Firstly, Mpeg is time tested, devloped in the late 80's, and only changed a little to make Mpeg-2, used on DVD's.

Second, Mpeg is sturdy and durable, you never download an mpeg file that's sound won't play, unless someone for got to include sound, small errors in the mpeg don't crash the player, only cause a few visual glitches.

Third, Mpeg is a standard, Divx can very to a great amount, that customizability can be a great plus though, but I like Mpeg. Mpeg-1 can be played by by a 133mhz P1 running Win3.1. with nothing more then old fasioned media player.

On the other hand, if file size is an issue, I still recomend Divx. You get more bang for your buck, though CPU demands can be higher. I have issues running Divx 5 fansubs on my P5. :|

If you do use Divx, don't be stupid and use only 1 ' I ' frame, I hate that. :P

staticninja
Org Profile

Post by staticninja » Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:12 am

where can i get real 9?

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:08 pm

ninja:
http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/ ... index.html

its a 'preview' version, the actual producer program isnt released yet, but its the same thing with the same features, just no GUI

but thats why god made doom9, so here
http://www.nic.fi/~lhahne/rm9/gui.html

ta-dah. If you need any help ask and I'll prolly know the answer

meh, mpeg's only advantage over real is the cpu power needed. Its only advantage against most compression formats is its widespread support, but Realplayer was rated as being installed on more systems than any other program in some survey some time a lil while back. Anyway, as for the player gripes, I really like RealOne, its better than wmp 8 imho
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

staticninja
Org Profile

Post by staticninja » Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:15 pm

thanks much

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:05 pm

Once I can use a Realvideo codec in VirtualDub and Windows Media Player, then I'll use it. Until then..........

{says the man who has doesn't have any version of RealPlayer on his computer and wouldn't even want to go through the ten million popups and mis-guided links off of Real.com's site to download their shitastic software}

~klinky

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:02 am

RadicalEd0 wrote:ninja:
http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/ ... index.html
meh, mpeg's only advantage over real is the cpu power needed. Its only advantage against most compression formats is its widespread support, but Realplayer was rated as being installed on more systems than any other program in some survey some time a lil while back. Anyway, as for the player gripes, I really like RealOne, its better than wmp 8 imho
the problem is that I can't put them in my amv-playlist!
I stay on DivX 5, on high bitrates the quality is just awesome, on low quality it beats wma and rm easyly at the same bitrate.
also you could make a 2-pass with 10000 kbps, then it puts the bitrate only as high as the source is -> max quality with less filesize.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:06 am

10000 kbps? Isn't that Divx5's max bitrate? Why not just make it at 10mbit DVD format? :|

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:57 am

IMO wmv8 compression & quality is about as good as divx (if not better.) I have made wmv8 vids before, but later found a few ppl complaint coz they couldnt play it correctly on their WMP6 & 7 (except 7.1)

So I'm staying with divx4, until wmv8 gets very popular or wmv10 comes out.

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:16 am

DJ_Izumi wrote:10000 kbps? Isn't that Divx5's max bitrate? Why not just make it at 10mbit DVD format? :|
because divx calculated the max needed bitrate -> i had a 3:23 long amv out of tv-captures and i didn't know which bitrate i should use.
then i made a 10000kbps 2-pass and the size was later 35 MB -> divx had looked in the first pass where it needs which bitrate, always high enough without quality-loss. the size is so small because tv-captures don't need a high bitrate, but on some parts with effects they do!
that's a pretty good and easy method for compressing tv or vhs captured amvs

Return to “General AMV”