Ek leaving... and maybe me too

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Professional 666
Org Profile

Post by Professional 666 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:46 am

I like the old phorum better. Less visual distractions.

phantom_112
Org Profile

Post by phantom_112 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:02 am

Since I have only been a member of the org for about a year now, I have no reason to fade out of its existance yet. But as I learn more about cons and why people make AMV's in the first place, I find it a paradox that most of them want to make good videos to win at cons, I myself would much rather make a video for the fun of it, the only recent AMV that I have seen that was made mostly for FUN was AbsoluteDestiny's Shameless Rock Video.

Sure this video didn't make the finals list for AX but it is a fun video to watch. Sure there is nothing wrong with making an AMV for a con but it should also be fun to make, theres no need to pour all your time and sweat into something that may or may not win.

I first got into AMV's because I thought it was something cool to do, and have progressed from that to it being FUN to do.

It is not the making of "The Org" that has made amv's more competetive, it has been the cons, such as AX, JACON, etc that have... Sure it would be cool to win an award, but just getting my video shown on the "big screen" would satisfy be enough.

I say stop worring about the Cons and just do an AMV for the fun of it, do them for your own sake, not because they might win at a con.

And lastly, have fun with creating videos.
supersai45: -makes a fist with hands-
phant112: what else do you make fists with?

thejugglinman23: it doesnt cost me anything to play with myself

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:07 am

Professional 666 wrote:I like the old phorum better. Less visual distractions.
Wrong forum, wrong thread, wrong everything. Go to a website forum to b*tch about your attention deficit disorder and how graphics make you unable to read.
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

StudioKZ
Org Profile

Post by StudioKZ » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:00 pm

Why is it so many people keep posting here to tell us why they DON'T post here?
Actually, because phpboard has this cool new feature that sends me email when somebody replies to me, I came back, directly back to this thread. :P
Quote:
"...have you seen any of the videos from this year, so far? There's maybe FIVE memorable ones..." - STUDIOKZ

If you ask me (which you did. I heard you!), the reason people think AMV's aren't as good as they used to be is because they convinced themselves the oldies were greater then they were, only because there was so few around.
There was no shortage of AMVs dating back farther than 1994-1995 (When I first saw AMVs and full on AMV contests), when you could just lay down a few scenes to music and call it a video, there weren't so few around, but those that were were either by people who already knew what they were doing or had some original and INTERESTING idea or concept they were trying to get across. (For the most part, obviously there were some bad ones even then)
AMV's were rare way back when, and have since boomed in popularity, in addition becoming more accessable. With so much more people creating music video's, we can start having standards by which to judge them. We can start sayin "this one is better than that one", instead of being glad one exists at all.
Again, they were rare when? Most people are talking about last year, the year before, and the year before dating back to 1998, *maybe*. The technology boom started in 1998 when suddenly it was feasible to edit video on your desktop machine, but yet, contests that I attended between 1995 and 1999 were always Packed houses and loaded with Videos. (Hell, Engle was what, 1998, 1999? That's still one of the most popular videos with people). You're alone in your thinking of yesteryear, it was *TEN* years ago that people were happy Videos existed at all and thus didn't judge them, those of us who are bothered by the current state of Fandom are bothered only by the last year and a half or so. That ain't Yesteryear that we're longing for.
<snip.. Don't bring Penny Arcade into this argument>

"Sure, the old AMV's of yesteryear had pirate-copy VHS video, static audio, and next to no effects... but they had soul! They were art! Today's excessive glut of AMV's are merely shallow and hollow, masked by DVD-quality video & direct-from-CD audio, partnered with needless Premiere Effects"

Again, you're alone in your definition of Yesteryear.
Have you seen the videos lately? I'm not saying new videos in general as though I were an old fart, I'm talking about videos from just this year.
No, AMV's haven't gotten worse. YOU have just seen too many, for too long. You've become a connaisseur, constantly demanding bigger and better, while always comparing today's crop as incomparable to that which you grew up with.
O.o This is wrong on so many levels. We're not talking about Music here, we're not talking about the sorry-ass New Metal Rap-Rock that's gracing our radios, we're talking about Anime fans and Music Videos. Nobody is demanding bigger and better, people are demanding good. People want to see videos that were made for the fun of making them and not for the sake of being considered cool at a convention or as a tool to become a sort of con celebrity. AMVs may or may not be Art, but nobody is asking for videos with 'soul', they're asking for videos that are FUN. As I said, FIVE fun and memorable videos. (although I miscounted as I was counting them up again last night, there are more like Eight or Nine, but I can't for the life of me remember the ninth one. Of those, one of them isn't even *especially* well made(It was well made enough), but it's *FUN* and *ORIGINAL* and that's the important part (UY - 'It wasn't me' by Shaggy).).

Matt Murray (if you even know who he is) said once (and I paraphrase)that 'Especially with today's technology, hitting the beats on time is so easy that anybody can do it. There has to be something else to a video that compels you to want to watch it.'

That's the problem with videos today, they're technically fine, but uncompelling, because well, everybody is spreading their wings and testing out this new $200 video capture hardware and their pirate copy of Premiere, because it's absolutely vital that *ALL* new creators use Premiere, because it's what everybody else uses!!!(Incidentally, it's not.)

Also, incidentally, You are incorrect. This is why I don't DOWNLOAD Videos that I haven't seen before, because there are so many out there, I don't want to deal with sorting through them. The good ones usually end up at Conventions (Although I pointed out to somebody that perhaps the reason this year is suffering is that the older creators don't want to deal with the competition or the pettyness surrounding it ("What?! My Video didn't get in?! But it was so popular at <insert con here>!! You suck! Your Con Sucks! All of this list of creators who did get in SUCK!"), while new creators who might be decent will never find out because they visit the Org or the ML or AMV panels and discussions at Cons and decide that they don't stand a chance of even getting shown at a con because of all of the blowhards arguing over petty stuff.)

I'm not a Connaisseur and I'm not overloaded with Music Videos as such, I watch only what shows up at cons and so far this year is pretty weak in comparison to the last two years.

That's my only point.
...IT'S <gasp>

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=89045
I love fatties. HOT FUCKING!

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:15 pm

Garylisk wrote:Go to a website forum to b*tch about your attention deficit disorder and how graphics make you unable to read.
This, coming from someone whose avatar directly breaks the site's rule? :-D

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:52 pm

StudioKZ wrote:
foofoo wrote:]No, AMV's haven't gotten worse. YOU have just seen too many, for too long. You've become a connaisseur, constantly demanding bigger and better, while always comparing today's crop as incomparable to that which you grew up with.
O.o This is wrong on so many levels. We're not talking about Music here, we're not talking about the sorry-ass New Metal Rap-Rock that's gracing our radios, we're talking about Anime fans and Music Videos. Nobody is demanding bigger and better, people are demanding good. People want to see videos that were made for the fun of making them and not for the sake of being considered cool at a convention or as a tool to become a sort of con celebrity. AMVs may or may not be Art, but nobody is asking for videos with 'soul', they're asking for videos that are FUN. As I said, FIVE fun and memorable videos. (although I miscounted as I was counting them up again last night, there are more like Eight or Nine, but I can't for the life of me remember the ninth one. Of those, one of them isn't even *especially* well made(It was well made enough), but it's *FUN* and *ORIGINAL* and that's the important part (UY - 'It wasn't me' by Shaggy).).

Matt Murray (if you even know who he is) said once (and I paraphrase)that 'Especially with today's technology, hitting the beats on time is so easy that anybody can do it. There has to be something else to a video that compels you to want to watch it.'

That's the problem with videos today, they're technically fine, but uncompelling, because well, everybody is spreading their wings and testing out this new $200 video capture hardware and their pirate copy of Premiere, because it's absolutely vital that *ALL* new creators use Premiere, because it's what everybody else uses!!!(Incidentally, it's not.)

Also, incidentally, You are incorrect. This is why I don't DOWNLOAD Videos that I haven't seen before, because there are so many out there, I don't want to deal with sorting through them. The good ones usually end up at Conventions (Although I pointed out to somebody that perhaps the reason this year is suffering is that the older creators don't want to deal with the competition or the pettyness surrounding it ("What?! My Video didn't get in?! But it was so popular at <insert con here>!! You suck! Your Con Sucks! All of this list of creators who did get in SUCK!"), while new creators who might be decent will never find out because they visit the Org or the ML or AMV panels and discussions at Cons and decide that they don't stand a chance of even getting shown at a con because of all of the blowhards arguing over petty stuff.)

I'm not a Connaisseur and I'm not overloaded with Music Videos as such, I watch only what shows up at cons and so far this year is pretty weak in comparison to the last two years.

That's my only point.
now WHY would a 'fun' video ever be entered into a con?? they make them FOR FUN!! Sure somebody might enter their vid/ goto a con for fun... but most likely they won't get as far as the ppl that take it seriously (not that 'for fun' ppl don't take a serious approach... just most won't). Too say that you miss the fun videos yet don't test the waters for undiscovered talent who's reluctant to enter into a con he can't attend (*ahem*, me...) is rather.... wanting something but not working for it so you PROBLY won't find it so why b*tch about it (is the word hypocritical?? What word am I looking for here!)

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:00 pm

I just want to say that I'm listening to Polvo - Lazy Comet, and punistation's cat girl wa dancing in perfect time with it. Well, for the first part (tempo changes).
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:19 pm

jbone wrote:
Garylisk wrote:Go to a website forum to b*tch about your attention deficit disorder and how graphics make you unable to read.
This, coming from someone whose avatar directly breaks the site's rule? :-D
In more ways than one, that little image is 13k!
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

punistation
Org Profile

Post by punistation » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:39 pm

" You suck! Your Con Sucks! All of this list of creators who did get in SUCK!" - STUDIOKZ

Honestly, why do people cast such a negative light on people who suck? I suck, and am proud to do so.

I can't stand these people who drink soda by holding it up in the air and pouring it into their gaping mouths. That is just SO... I dunno', weird. Then there's those individuals who stick a syringe into their can of Pepsi, fill it up, then inject the soda into their mouths. Talk about New Age crap!

I'm proud to suck. I open my can of Pepsi, making that wondeful "p-zok" sound, I lift the can to my lips, hold it at a slight angle, then suck the soda out through the hole. Then I swallow it. I suck and swallow and am proud to do so.

Sometimes I use a straw, by sticking it into the can of soda. Doesn't make much difference, but the way I suck is more concentratred. Plus it's safer, what with this age of cut lips and insects falling into the can, etc. I like the sugary taste of soda swishing in my mouth, and the aftertaste is long there after I swallow it down. I brush my teeth after, but only because it's hygenic, not because I don't like the taste of the stuff.

Those of us who suck should not have to be vilified by such derogatory comments, and should be free to suck wherever, whenever we want to. It is always the ignorant and the crass who cannot be open-minded enough to accept that there are people in this world who are happy to suck. Keep your hands off my soda! This is who I am! Who are you to judge me?

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

ImageImage
Flame all anti-suckers!

P.S. For those who've been asking: No, I'm no longer going out with Wonka. I just couldn't learn to live with the embaressment of calling out a name like that in a crowded nightclub, let alone in passion. Plus, he scared me. I believe it's a rather ominous signal when a man names himself after an eccentric loner, who lures children to his house with the promise of sweets, then makes them dissapear one by one.

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:59 pm

punistation wrote:

I suck, and am proud to do so.
*gasp!* Marry me! ;_;

Return to “General AMV”