How does Pinnacle Studio DV v7 compare to Premiere v6.0?

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

How does Pinnacle Studio DV v7 compare to Premiere v6.0?

Post by Chaos Angel » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:37 pm

I was walking through my local Best Buy when I saw something that caught my eye. Pinnacle Studio DV version 7. It comes with a capture card and a Firewire cable, as well as the video editting software. It looks impressive, so I got it to prevent going back and seeing that someone else has already bought it ($129.99 with a $30 rebate).

Currently, I am using the Beta of Adobe Premiere 6. I first got the Beta because I could not afford the real thing; lately, however, I have begun to think that I should upgrade to a full version editting program to get more out of it.

So, what I am wondering is this. Should I stick with Premiere and get a refund on the Pinnacle, or should I ditch Premiere and keep the Pinnacle? Which is the better editting program?

Thanks.
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:09 pm

I am going to say Premiere!

Never used pinnacle, but... ehhh.... I just bet Premiere is better.

:p

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:10 pm

Oh and you cn get Premiere cheap bundled with a DV200, so.... $230 or so....

~klinky

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:18 pm

I would definitely say go with Premiere. Pinnacle was the first editing program I got and it never really worked properly for me. It ran really slowly on my old computer, ate all the memory and had to shut down constantly. If there wasn't enough memory to render something, it would stop halfway through the rendering process. It would just stop. And even when I got my new computer that has tons of RAM and put the program on it, Pinnacle still didn't run very well. The scene selection feature Studio 7 has is a major problem if you're using whole anime episodes, because it takes a long, long time for it to detect all the scenes.

Premiere is much much better, it allows you to be much more accurate to where you cut your scenes, and it has a wide variety of effects while Pinnacle has a few different transitions and that's about it. Plus Premiere is the only thing I know of that can use the avisynth plug-in, which is very useful when it comes to editing DVD footage. Premiere also seemed to export in higher quality.

Pinnacle was a very frustrating program for me, and had very limited abilities. But with Premiere the sky was the limit, and I would definitely say go with Premiere even though it takes a long time to figure out how to work it properly. But that's what the manual is for I guess :wink:
ImageImage

Return to “Video Editing Software”