Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
NME
Org Profile

Post by NME » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:22 pm

isn't that implied?

You do need materials to do anything artistic. I think.

Goddamn technicalities.
nil per os

JoesGarage
Org Profile

Post by JoesGarage » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:47 pm

Otohiko wrote:Excellent question there Joe. Did you check out the guides? Try this area of the guide here, I wonder if anything there might be relevant to your question I'm not sure myself as I've never done it, but my assumption is that the process would essentially be the same.

PS.

Love the nick. :wink:

Down in Joe's Garage...
We were playing the same old song...
...play it through the evening and sometimes...

*goes off singing*
I did read the link you gave me, it is pretty good actually. It's just that i am still confused with the ripping of the dvds part. It gave links in there to download ripping programs, but the links go to otehr links and i just got lost ya know? lol. O well, i guess i should go back to figuring it out, but if anyone has a good ripping program, can you give me the link to download it from, and if there are many links, can you tell me which one to choose? haha, thanks!!

ooo and thank you for liking my nickname, it is a good song. lol.

JoesGarage
Org Profile

Post by JoesGarage » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:54 pm

hmm, it seems like you can't edit posts, so sorry for double posting but.....i forgot to metion that i have a mac, so not all programs will work. I found this one program but it has legal troubles, so i don't want to bother. But, i have a dvd burner on another computer in my house, i just remembered would that be ok?

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:38 pm

DVD burner? I don't see how that's relevant.

All you need is a DVD-ROM and one of those programs that works. If that other machine you're talking about is a PC (not Mac) - try getting some of those programs there and see if you get more luck with them on a PC. Although if you plan to edit the footage on an Mac after, it would make a bit of a problem transefering the raw footage from one computer to another (takes up lots of space). So maybe getting something to work on the Mac is a good idea.

I suggest you try reading over the guide again and take time going through the links, just so you don't miss any possibilities. After all, the guide was written by the biggest AMV tech experts, and if that doesn't help you - who knows what will.

Also, if you don't find an answer there, I suggest you try to post a new thread on this same forum (General AMV) and see if any other Mac users talk back...

good luck then 8)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:49 pm

or better yet read Red Wolf's Mac AMV guide (don't know why this isn't linked on the page with the other guides). It's supposedly a little out of date, but should cover you fine...and if not you can always ask him your questions direct by email. He's kinda busy, though, with running the AMV DC and all, so don't get too hung up on an immediate reply.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

JoesGarage
Org Profile

Post by JoesGarage » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:24 pm

I checked out Red Wolf's AMV guide, or scanned it at least. ^_^;; i figured i should start worrying about it when i get onto the other computer, which is also a mac btw. His guide seems to be very good though, it gives pictures, which help out alot. So, i shall try to make an amv one of these days.

Otaku_1
Org Profile

Hey

Post by Otaku_1 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:22 pm

I just received Adobe PREMIERE for me birthday, anyway I just got it and I want to make my own video SOLO, I have been in collaborations but I was more of the Atronaut retrieving info and doin non aomputerized timing and whatnot.

Anyway I have started up my Premiere and I but the DVD in my DVD rom drive. Now as I start it up to the time I want to capture it says that it THE DV CONTROLE DOESNT CONNECT TO THE DRIVER or something can anyone help me?

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Re: Hey

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:00 pm

Otaku_1 wrote:Anyway I have started up my Premiere and I but the DVD in my DVD rom drive. Now as I start it up to the time I want to capture it says that it THE DV CONTROLE DOESNT CONNECT TO THE DRIVER or something can anyone help me?
Did you read the guides on ripping dvds (they're on the member main page, at the bottom)? If so, then hop over to the 'video help' section and explain what you're using to rip your dvds and the error you're getting. If you're using DVDdecryptor, I could help, but you'll have to tell more about what you're working with. ^_^;;

Jaganshi Fox
Org Profile

Kazaa

Post by Jaganshi Fox » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:55 pm

I don't have many DVD's, so could I use clips from Kazaa instead? I don't really want great quality stuff right now. Thought I'd start it small, so right now I want to use Kazaa, if I can. So can I?
He goes touch touch and you go BOOM!
- me on Karasu

This is Miaka.....the priestess of Suzaku.....and this is Nuriko.............he's gay.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:17 pm

shlow down with the Kazaa clips!

Were you to look atforum rules when signing, you would see that one of the ethical guidelines is 'thou shalt not use downloaded footage'.

Generally, the quality of video is somewhat of concern. However, the bigger concern is an ethical one - if you're using clips from current digisubs, i.e. anime that's not licensed and sold on DVD in the US but available for download through fansubber groups - use of that is somewhat disliked, but noone willl give you too much pain about it. However...

While noone says you physically can't, the community definitely looks down on when a new video comes out that uses downloaded footage from a licensed anime - Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, DBZ, Eva and many others you can find on store shelves in America.

I strongly suggest you stay with DVD footage, but if you must download - try going with Digisubs. Otherwise don't expect much respect from informed reviewers...

good luck then 8)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “General AMV”