Mindwarp Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:34 pm

And some shades of grey are lighter than others. All opinions may be valid, but all opinions are not equal. You even stated yourself that some opinions may be wrong. And please demonstrate how there isn't a quantitative and objective way to determine how one video is better than another. And if all contests are purely subjective, it wouldn't matter how informed a judge is, as all of the data they have amassed would be simply thrown out when they issue a ruling.

I just like to argue.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:31 pm

Dammit, you're trying to make me think, aren't you? :p
"And please demonstrate how there isn't a quantitative and objective way to determine how one video is better than another." Simply because it is IMPOSSIBLE to judge art in such a way due to its very nature. You cannot see every thought that went through the creator's mind when they were creating it. You cannot know every single edit that they made to the footage. You are INTERPRETING someone else's work. In a scientific process, everything is laid out straight. This equal this because of this. You can't say that with art. Some people think "Engel" is the greatest AMV known to man. Some people (myself included) believe its WAY overhyped. Some people think its a better video than I think it is. So is either of us wrong? Can you measure an actual amount of quality in the video? Can you say "This video is 99% perfect" and prove it an a way that everyone in the community could agree with you? Of course not.

"And if all contests are purely subjective, it wouldn't matter how informed a judge is, as all of the data they have amassed would be simply thrown out when they issue a ruling."
In the end, it all really comes down to either "Which video did I enjoy watching the most", or "which video appeared to me to have the most effort put into it", or "which video was pulled off with the most apparent overall quality?" That's simply the way it is.

"You even stated yourself that some opinions may be wrong."
Hmmm, my opinion on that issue was wrong. An opinion cannot be right or wrong.
Wait a minute.....
[/quote]

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:46 pm

But all thoughts are simply comprised of electrical and chemical signals being batted from one neuron to another. Events are stimulie with defined sets of forces acting on defined objects. Each event leaves a distinct effect on its surroundings. Is it unreasonable to assume that the evolution of Chaos Theory will allow us to detect such things? Of course human beings are clouded by emotions and desires, and this allows something as simple as counting ballots to become a national controversy, but a machine, on the otherhand, has none of these failings. So why would it be impossible to build a machine to simply choose the best? Psychologists, mathematians, historians and social theorists can program the critera.

Anyway, your post simply used your premise to prove your premise. Does that really make any sense?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:56 pm

Um... and I like beef, too.

edoggy
Org Profile

Post by edoggy » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:23 pm

alternatefutures is a debating beast wow, you go man hitem up with that wit boy. haha anyway i posted a question a on the last page but people were still arguing and it got annoyed. could anyone tell me where the opinions or reviews for the mindwarp contest are goin to be posted. it said so in the rules that each contestant would recieve atleast one opinion on animemusicvideos.org and i was just wondering where?
sorry to interrupt the arguing :D if someone could let me know before they start arguing again i would greatly apreciate it.

edoggy
"isnt this where im supposed to put a clever quote?"

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:01 pm

Alright, I just did a search for your videos, edoggy, and surprise surprise, I can't find them, which means right now Machine and his buds have no place to write a review for you. So, this is what you do. Go to your Members page and the third button down is "Enter New Video". Click that and enter the video information for the video you submitted. It doesn't matter if you don't have it available for download. Once you do that then the Mindwarp crew will look your vid up, click on the vid information and then use the "Submit an Opinion" button. To view this opinion (when you recieve it) just look at the video listings at the bottom of your Member pageand find a little listing which says something like "ops: 1" Click the number and you can read your review.

DeepBLiu
Org Profile

Post by DeepBLiu » Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:39 pm

Well in all fairness, I haven't received a review for my video either. But I don't mind, going through 100+ video opinions must be a bitch bitch bitch!

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:03 am

You have no idea :lol:

KenShimazu
Org Profile

Post by KenShimazu » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:30 am

Take your time Machine ^^ I`m pretty sure everyone here is patient enough :D

Return to “AMV Contests”