AMV Winners at AFO. Check Them Out

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Legionair
Org Profile

Post by Legionair » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:18 pm

Lots of stuff to cover. Let's see if I can remember it all. Some of these issues may not have been raised here, but I decided to address them here anyway. No sense replying all over the place and posting the same information over and over again.

[Disclaimer... I'm tired. I just got home. None of this should sound defensive. If it does, I apologize, but you may just be reading the wrong impression into my words.]

- AMV Filler
No, I was not aware that contest was considered filler. Or considered filler now. Obviously that wouldn't be my opinion. If it was filler, I wouldn't have spent three weeks getting the AMV Contest ready to play. On the other hand, as of Saturday night at around midnight, the AFO AMV Contest is no longer my puppy. What happened, happened. Life goes on, for better or worse.

- AMV Filler (Part Deux)
When the computer system wouldn't play the DVD-R, I had to resort to running back to the AMV Room to get my DVD player which I knew with 100% certainty would play the DVD. Because everything had to be rewired on the fly, there was no time to rewire to play filler while the judges decided.

- Audience Voting
Despite what it's viewed as, audience reaction was not the only reference we used to decide who won the contest. We did use it as a one of the basis' but it wasn't the only one. Why did I decide to go this route? As I explained before the contest, for AFO3 I photocopied 2,000 AMV Ballots. The viewing room was filled with over 1,000 people. We handed out 1,500 ballots. When I counted the results, we received only 300 back. That means that the balloting process was obviously flawed and something new had to be attempted.

- Replaying the Winners
If we had replayed the winning videos, it would have taken 20 to 30 more minutes to do that. I doubt anyone in the audience was willing to sit thru such an experience.

- Apologies
Apologies may not be necessary in some of these issues, and they probably won't fix what has been done, but I'm going to make the effort anyway. It doesn't cost anything to try to be nice to people and usually ends up costing quite a bit of sanity just to be mean. I know which issues are my fault and which I had no control of (or prior knowledge of). So maybe apology isn't the correct word. Sympathy? Yes, that might be better. I have quite a bit of sympathy for those AMV creators that feel wronged by what happened. I know how I would feel in your place, so I can empathize quite easily. And I don't want to seem like an uncaring administrator who just gives an "f--- you, deal with it" reaction.

- Apologies (Part Deux)
To the three people I apologized to above, I take responsibilty for both issues. For Thoughtsbleed's issue, I should have forced a test of the DVD before the contest. But scheduling and my body just didn't allow it to be possible. It's no secret that I never wanted a computer in the viewing room, which is why I insisted on keeping AFO3's AMV Contest on S-VHS. What I should have done Saturday night was bring my DVD player to the main room, but I didn't. When Friday night's adult contest went fine, I assumed that a DVD burned in the same manner (which the Saturday contest was) would be fine. When the contest started without audio, I should have hopped up and insisted that it be restarted, but it the stress of all the other situations, I just didn't have the time to think that clearly.

For Jesse & Jesse's issue, it was entirely my fault. I should have caught the fact that the audio was not playing properly. It played fine at home and seemed fine when I burned the DVD. When it got up on the big screen I realized that it was wrong. I still feel bad about this, but there's nothing else I can do at this moment other than feel bad. The deed is done and nothing can change it. I'm more pissed with myself for not catching it than anything else.

- 24 Hour Room
The 24 hour room became a standard room because on Friday night, the room became nothing more than a flophouse. When the cleaning people had to come in and wake everyone up, we caught hell for it. One or two people falling asleep accidentally while attempting to watch all night, that would have been okay. People camped out with pillows and covers was completely out of the question. Not to mention the general security issue. If something would have happened to one of these sleeping people, then my neck would be on the line. I like AMVs, but I don't like them enough to go to jail for providing them. More importantly, I don't want someone getting hurt, robbed, or worse while in the room under my jurisdiction. So the 24 hour room had to go.

- The Finale
The past two years I've attempted to improve the contest. Comparing the quality of the entries from last year to this year should show that I was partially sucessful. The events of the weekend under cut my efforts. I have no desire to start from the rebuilding again, that's why I stepped down. If I feel I can't reliably provide the videos in the way the artists expected as well as with a certain amount of respect for their invested work, then I won't attempt to do so.

So as of closing ceremonies to AFO4, I'm no longer affiliated with AFO or AGA. There's no bad blood on my side of things. I have nothing against any other staffers for what happened. Decisions, right or wrong, were made. Just like I would prefer not to be crucified for any poor decisions I've made, I'm not going to hold a handful of decisions as the sum total of another's person's character.

I hope to remain friends with the other AFO / AGA staffers and I hope they don't take my decision to part ways as a personal insult. I also hope that they don't assume that I wish them any ill will.

Thanks,
Jason

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:34 pm

Is the Marillion project still on?
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

Legionair
Org Profile

Post by Legionair » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:00 pm

It most definately is. I didn't expect to see the Marillion project subject come up though.

With my responsibilities to AFO4 completed and the ones to AGA finished, I can devote much more energy to the project.

For those of you who are already involved, look for an email from me sometime later in the week.

For those of you who don't know about it, but are interested, this is a long form AMV project using Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" album. The final version of the project will be burned to DVD and is planned to be delivered to the fan club next year.

Jason

wolf_hunter
Org Profile

Re: AMV Winners at AFO. Check Them Out

Post by wolf_hunter » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:55 am

tutterbutter wrote:And i felt horrible, because there were a few other videos which were really really great. Especially The Escaflowne One. Most of my feedback was That Cheerleading scene was cool, and it had a incredible story line and kept to it the whole video. /me shrugs - thank you.

shut up you diserve that award for such a great video :wink:

Ladymercury
Org Profile

Post by Ladymercury » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:28 am

The interruption in the AMV was, excuse my french, FUCKED. It pissed me off, not to mention that the Cosplay thing could have been done on Sunday instead of interrupting an already established contest.

I know that people would have been pissed off if we interrupted their Cosplay contest over AMV results. It was already annoying as it was to interrupt The Beer Song.

The techinical difficulties were fine, a little tiredsome, but fine.

I just wished that the AMV contest could have ran a little smoother.

But by the time the Comedy category rolled along, all of that was forgotten.

Its said to see you go, Jason, but I can understand some of the reasons.

And my ranting biatch tirade stuff:
1) I wish the con could have ran a bit smoother
2) I'm still pissed about my friggin panel being pushed to 3
3) I'm sadden that NO ONE GOT MY DO AS INFINITY VIDEO
4) That's it, I'm never doing an AMV to Phantom Quest Again
5) I'm shocked someone thought it was a new anime

o_O
ImageImage
" Gray? You mean GLAY?! I like Jiro! "
The Idiot's Guide To Vegas - A Tutorial for Vegas Video
Lights and Sounds, now up on utoob.

Return to “AMV Contests”