AMV Winners at AFO. Check Them Out

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
tutterbutter
Org Profile

AMV Winners at AFO. Check Them Out

Post by tutterbutter » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:01 am

First off BIGBIG Kudos to Legionair/Jason. He Did a wonderful Job this year.. he worked very hard. And this was my first Con, and the past two years. i wasnt there last year... Ive been told, and seen it improve dramatically.. Its a very comfortable, friendly Con, I hope it stays that way.

So Tonight was the AMV Contest..... I really really wish I could give a good list, but I was really distracted, so I can give you a little lowdown.

Goldenboy -Somebody to Love- Queen
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=18985 This Video Won, And Forgive me... Its late.. but I cannot remember what exactly for.. I know it was a very cool award... and very much deserved. Soul Bro entered a couple videos.. And worked hard. This TRULY is a favorite and its just freaking Hillarious. So Bro, post the exact name of what your award was for.. It rocked, I stood up 3 times. This Video was one of those times.

Best Comedy. -ZennMora - Ninja of the Night Im not gonna say anything but watch this dayum VIDEO, if you aint seen it.. Definently a crowd favorite, and seriously funny as hell. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=17526

Also, Best Editing. Went To Marlex for his KICK ass Video. Its not listed on the site yet.. PLEASE post it. Stood Up for this one too omgroxxors http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=20912 Major Profile Linkage THO

Best Adult/Hentai Video - Mexican Juniors Moneyshot - I think Ive already told the world this winner. I refuse to hand out that terrible kind of smut so you have to ask MJ for the linkage. :P

As For the Action Vid that won.. Someone please post it. Im hurting my head for not remembering.. And anyone else. Im doing my best to remember. The Action Vid..MUCHO was great though. Action and Comedy had the best vids overall in them, in my opinion.

Best Drama Video - Tutterbutter -Cowboy Bebop -Coldplay - Clocks - I dont really have much to say about this. I know i wasnt crowd favorite in this area because it was another lame Bebop Video. And I got good crowd reaction. I was talking to Marlex, and Actually not even paying attention when they announced my name.. Till Marlex looked at me... and was like.. you won. So David Violence totally Messed up my last name.. and it takes me like 20 seconds to get up.. outta sheer shock. And i felt horrible, because there were a few other videos which were really really great. Especially The Escaflowne One. Most of my feedback was That Cheerleading scene was cool, and it had a incredible story line and kept to it the whole video. /me shrugs - thank you. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=15751

There were some great videos, and I met alot of great people.. And Enjoyed the whole experience very much. Some Very Talented people who put alot of heart into thier work. Please Add more stories/awards if you can..... its 5am.. im tired. But i wanted to give props where they were due.

/end
Tutter
------ "And I have such a deep admiration for guys who roll around on the floor with other guys."

Legionair
Org Profile

Post by Legionair » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:18 am

Good morning, afternoon, or evening,

It’s Sunday morning and I’m about to head back out to the convention space. Before I do that I wanted to take a few moments and fill in the details that Tutter left out. I also wanted to address a few issues that occurred last night. I’m doing that now so that I don’t miss any details.

Before I list off all of the winners, I want to cover something that I feel is equally important. And I don’t want it to get lost underneath the list of winners, so I’m covering it first.

Let me start off by saying that I’m not happy with what happened last night. Those of you who were there probably already know what I’m talking about. I can go into details about it all, but I won’t. I’d rather have those in attendance describe it, if they wish, since their perspective will obviously be different than mine. In addition, my going into it would only seem like I’m trying to offer excuses for it all, and I’m not. What happened last night was unacceptable.

Everyone who participated put days, weeks, and probably months of work into their videos. They deserved to be played properly, as the artists involved intended them to be seen. I put at least three weeks of work into getting the contest up and ready to go, starting from the day the first CD-R reached my mailbox.

Like I said, I’m not going to go into details yet. I’m not going to offer excuses. For those of you there, if you have questions over what happened last night and would like answers, then please ask. You can ask me here, in public, or privately thru email. That’s your choice. I will not offer excuses about what went on behind the scenes, but I think you at least deserve an explanation.

For the most part, everyone’s video played as the artist intended it to. For the most part we were free of technical and scheduling issues once the contest started rolling. But there are three people that I wish to offer a public apology to. They didn’t ask for this and I hope this doesn’t turn an unwanted spotlight on them, but I feel the need to mention it regardless.

Thoughtsbleed –
His “Your Closest Friend” video started off the contest. Unfortunately due to technical issues started without audio for the first ten seconds of the video. This was unexpected and unacceptable. I started with his video because I felt it was a very strong lead off for the Drama category, the reaction of the audience seems to have confirmed that. And obviously I did not want to start the contest off on a mixer board issue.

Jesse & Jesse –
“Don’t Waste Your Youth.” That was their video and I don’t know what I can say. I can’t apologize enough about the way it was presented. I should have caught the audio issues, I didn’t. I dropped the ball. For those of you present at the contest, their video *did not* play the way it was intended. I should have caught it and I didn’t. I won’t have an answer for why that happened until I get home and have a chance to go through the work files, but I intend to do just that. There’s nothing that I can do to fix this, the contest has passed, the moment is gone, all I can do is apologize and try to figure out what happened so that it doesn’t happen to them again and hopefully doesn’t happen to anyone else either. Right now, the only excuse I can offer is that I had way too much on my plate and not enough time to do it all. That’s the only thing that would have let such a problem slip past me undetected.

I want to say how impressed I was with all of the entries, as well as all of the videos that were submitted this year. Last year we reached a grand total of 27 videos, I believe. All of which made it into the contest. This year we reached 51 videos, almost twice as many. 31 of them were submitted to the contest, 3 were disqualified and all of the remaining 28 played in the contest.

I will not offer any other comparisons between last and this year’s contests, except to say that it seemed obviously apparent to me that *everyone* involved seems to have improved drastically. Even after watching each video a dozen plus times while preparing the contest, I still sat through last night’s run and enjoyed them again. At least I enjoyed them when I wasn’t wincing from other issues.

My final point before I get to announcing the winners. Last night, immediately after the AMV Contest winners were announced, I resigned my AMV position with AFO. I’m making this public knowledge so that there is no going back on it. I will be finishing my commitments for this weekend and that will be all.

I have made the suggestion to management that David Violence should take over the reins if / when an AMV Contest is held at AFO5. David has already offered a verbal agreement that he would do it, but it remains to be seen whether management accepts my suggestion.

Last night (and Friday night’s) winners:

Best Adult / Hentai Video went to…
Mexican Junior’s “Moneyshot” using Bible Black to Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax.” I was somewhat paranoid about running this video, one for potentially going to jail for violating county decency laws or, two, offending our guests of honor who were sitting in the front row watching the contest. I was pretty relieved when the guests seemed to be enjoying it more than the audience was.

Best Editing went to…
Marlex’s “Together” using Vandread to Nine Inch Nails’ “We’re In This Together”

Best Technical went to…
Checkm8’s “Regrets” using Ruroni Kenshin to the Pet Shop Boy’s “It’s a Sin”

Best Concept went to…
Soul Bro Ryu’s “Somebody to Love” using Golden Boy to Queen’s “Somebody to Love”

Best Drama went to…
Tutterbutter’s “No Place Like Home” using Cowboy Bebop to Coldplay’s “Clocks”

Best Action went to…
Firedog’s “Chateau” using the End of Evangelion to “Chateau” from the Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack.

Best Comedy went to…
ZennMora’s “Dude, We’re Ninjas!” using Naruto to Sifl & Olly’s “Ninja of the Night”

I want to thank everyone for participating and later in the week I’ll post a full play list.

Thank you,
Jason
legionair@aol.com

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:35 am

Frankie Goes to Hollywood and the Pet Shop Boys? Welcome to 80sville population: AFO amv contest :D

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:54 am

Cant forget the Queen... wait... was Tommyrude in attendance? I feel ballot box stuffing was to blame, or possibly communism. Damn pinkos.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:11 am

"Somebody to Love" was from Day at the Races, 1976 :P

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:22 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:"Somebody to Love" was from Day at the Races, 1976 :P
Bah, close enough.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:28 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Frankie Goes to Hollywood and the Pet Shop Boys? Welcome to 80sville population: AFO amv contest :D
80'sville = Music Euphoria! :o

"I must be dreaming oooooo...."

Congrats to all the winners, especially my Tutter for kicking much booty in Drama. You definitely deserved it baby. 8)

*AIM KISSY FACE*

Checkm8
Org Profile

It was fun!

Post by Checkm8 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:18 pm

Hey guys!

Was great meeting you guys and Tutter, thanks for listening to me critique your vid, LOL! Hope any advice was definetly helpful. You had an AWESOME first vid and I definetly look forward to you future work and was glad to have the chance to meet you. You seem like a geniune person and artist, so keep it up :)

Jason, SO SO sorry for how they screwed ya. The actions taken were rediculous. For those not attending, right after the drama track, 1/3 into the contest, they pause the DVD, flip on the lights, and get on stage to address a COSPLAY drama issue where a group was offended because their skit got cut early, bla bla, stuff we don't need to worry about here. Long story short, they then announce all the cosplay winners, art show winners, art quick draw contest winners (VERY SLOWLY I MIGHT ADD), then resume the dvd after a good amount of the room left due to the crap. Jason, you did a GREAT job. The AMV panels were good, the videos were all introed great, and everything you did was good, so you personally do not apologize, but I do feel some of your colleges do need to at least acknowledge that they may have offended the AMV creators and artists at AFO 4. I have a feeling that won't happen and my opinion won't go over well, but I don't think they'd like it if I pissed on their hard work either.

Anyway, great work with your AMV's guys and feel free to e-mail if you ever wanna chat or anything and definetly check out my other vids!

L8R
Checkm8

OH, and yeah, my pet shop boys video was so 80's, but it's an old idea I had and I just had to do it ;-)

Checkm8
Org Profile

Quick update

Post by Checkm8 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:32 pm

This is more for Jason, but I figure all the other AMV artists should hear this as well...

Apparently the cosplayer's impression from what was told to them was that the AMV's at AFO were filler. Below is posted what I was told.

>>>>>
Well, just goes to show AFO isn't an AMV con. Personally they should never of had a drama in the first place (there was more to prove that none of it should've occured in the first place).
I asked someone at some point what they were doing till they said the winners for the cosplay (wanted to know if Tom won basically), and they said "Oh we're using AMVs as filler time"
So basically, AMVs are filler to AFO (least from that one person's pov).
overall, they should've shown random AMV's till they announced winners, then shown the winners of AMVs (so anyone who wanted to know who won, would be there anyway).
>>>>>

Problem with the last part is the judges were using audience reaction as an aide to judging everything. That does not work if you can't show the whole videos... Oh well Jason. Did you know your contest was filler? I guess the cosplay community thinks so...

Now the real question is, why do I care?!?!?
Checkm8

tutterbutter
Org Profile

Post by tutterbutter » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:18 am

You know, Legion said we were open to talk about this and maybe should.

First Off I thought it was rude. I had no big babysitter action for the AFO, so i had to bring my little daughter.... who i knew would sleep through the lights off and at least through 2 of the three categories....... Then POW the lights are thrown on, destroying the whole mood of the contest.. and the big PUBLIC service Announcement..

"YOU DONT NEED ALCOHOL TO MAKE YOU HAPPY"
Well im not trying to be funny or flame, but god I need alcohol to reasonably even enjoy cosplaying.. I dont like cosplaying.. Its alot of 14-17 year olds playing dress up.. and half of them arent even characters they are like people who are wierd.
And forget about I'd'ing for the Adult AMV contest... Men in Womens lingerie is pretty disturbing in itself...

it was rude, and alot of people got up and left and didnt even finish the amv contest because they thought it was over.. Cosplayers dont spend money infact most of them beg for it.. and eat pocky and sugar packets and think they are cool... AMV'ers actually go to workshops, go to dealer rooms and buy stuff to make thier videos.. Wow what a concept. Buying anime at a Con.. By the time a Cosplayer gets to a Con, theyve spent so much money on thier costume.. they dont have crap to spend..
Some costumes are nice, im not gonna wack on cosplayers.. We had 2 and half hours of main room.. We shouldnt have been interupted.... We shouldnt have been barged in on... I know people who come to cons just for dealers and AMV"s Not for Cosplay.. You know who comes to see Cosplay..
1. Cosplayers
2. People who need a good Laugh
3. Boys who wanna see girls in skimpy clothes and thats honesty for you..

I know sitting and chatting with the AMV creators quite a few felt like wow.. we are so unimportant.. That had nothing to do with Jason, or anyone involved with running the AMV area.. It was bad choices on the person who felt the need to do that.. Will I still enter and come next year of course..
I had a great time.. I wont let one little thing spoil, what alot of people put a great deal of time and effort into..
Legion - You are important and did a great job, I dont think anyone looks at this as your fault.. nor should they and if they do. let me kick thier butts!

And like My name and Video was up on the Big Screen during the WHOLE ordeal and cosplay winner announcements, it was free advertising and subliminal msging

/end
------ "And I have such a deep admiration for guys who roll around on the floor with other guys."

Return to “AMV Contests”