Ek leaving... and maybe me too

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
OrionPro001
Org Profile

Post by OrionPro001 » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:30 pm

temjin wrote:hmmm, this post still going? well, just in case you wondering. rat in a cage by smashing pumpkins is a great song. so stop stomping shrooms in your basement freakin' hippies.
Yeah that song there ROXXXOORRRR!!!!!
http://www.orionproductions.org
Where Anime & Music Come Together.

StudioKZ
Org Profile

go go go

Post by StudioKZ » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:36 pm

There's more to it than that, Joe.

Music Videos in general are going the way of Cosplay and it's really troubling in a way, because it's leading down more of a 'I make videos so I can be cool and show off what I can do with my Computer and my Anime Collection' path than one of 'I make videos because I think videos are cool and I want to get these ideas out of my head!'. The Org is just the sounding board for the overall outburst from people who are looking more for an 'in' to some perceived convention inner circle than people looking for a creative outlet.

The Org isn't the problem, nor is the problem the way things are done on The Org. The problem is with the AMV community in general. I was sitting in AIM chat the other day and somebody was asking what sort of software and hardware they should start out with. I pointed out that many people started out with the cheapie cheapie stuff, DC-10s, All In Wonders, and Video Editing software like Avid Cinema or Ulead and several people jumped on me about how that was wrong and how the people just starting out should have the stuff they're going to be using a year or two from now and how every new creator should start in Premiere and how they should start with the $ 3-500+ dedicated cards cause that was somehow the key to making good videos.

Lots of people have gotten premiere and gotten the expensive editing cards and have you seen any of the videos from this year, so far? There's maybe FIVE memorable ones that have debuted at any cons thus far. FIVE... We're mid-way through Con Season this month. I realize many people are saving up for AWA,(I also realize a lot of creativity is tied up in DDR2) but still, FIVE?!? Everything else is mostly mediocre. I also notice a serious lack of Comedy entrants at all this year. I can't remember seeing one video this year that was Intended as a Comedy that made me laugh (well, PFS and all of the various 'Wrong' Videos aside). Even the Light Hearted 'Fun' videos are few and far between this year (Muchas Smoochas to MTT)

I don't know if the problem is competition at cons, the panels, the dedicated track, the same 'celebrities' sitting on panels at every con, AMV creators being involved in cons and thus getting more 'guest'-like status, the fact that the older AMV creators(the 'celebrities') are friends and tend to hang out together at cons and this being looked upon as somehow being 'in the clique' or above the rest and so in order to elevate themselves to that level, newer creators are lording their accomplishments over others in an attempt to get themselves noticed and get themselves onto a Panel. (Actually I think I just summed up 90% of the problem right in that paragraph, and then I have to wonder if I'm not part of the problem -.-; )

As for the Phorum, you'll notice severe lack of presence by 90% of the old guard anyways, as the Phorum is worse even than the ML for signal to noise anymore. This is my first foray into the forums in over a month, I don't see anything new or any compelling reason for me to stay.

StudioKZ
Org Profile

Phillistines

Post by StudioKZ » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:38 pm

Incidentally, there is no song called 'Rat in a Cage', There IS a song called 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings'...

StudioKZ
Org Profile

Post by StudioKZ » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:08 am

Jeez, this multiple pages thing threw me, I didn't notice that there were nine pages between my reply and the post I was replying to.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

JBone is the bomb!

Post by OmniStrata » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:45 am

JBone...
Not only is he most opinionated, but he's totally correct. Take things on this site too seriously, and you hurt yourself the most.

WOO HOO! IF EVERYONE SKILLED LEAVES, THAT MAKES ME THE BEST AMV EDITOR!!!!!!
I love my signature by the way.

Oh yeah, I've got to ask ErMaC and icechai for a favor laterz.

My original signature as a gag was supposed to look like this:

I'm STRATA! I'm NOBODY'S BITCH! YOU (points to dokidoki) are MINE! And YOU (points to ErMaC) and YOU! (points to Hsien). I don't need to know you. (points to Aokakesu) YOU, need to know me! (points to the whole org). I WILL BE THE ONE!

Of course, that sig is a little too long and each time I see it, I must control myself from laughing my ass off...

:lol:

Have fun people! I know I will...
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: JBone is the bomb!

Post by dokidoki » Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:57 am

OmniStrata wrote:YOU (points to dokidoki) are MINE!
I am? Well, pucker up...

(kidding... >ptooie!<)

KZ: Well said. Out of curiousity, which cons have you been to so far this year?

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:13 pm

[quote="klinky]
like "I hated the song", "Dragon Ball Z is stupid",

~klinky[/quote]

umm, the thing is there for entertainment, public enjoyment... if not than why release it publicly? Therefore why would 'I didn't enjoy the song (a phrase I use alot ;-p)' be stupid? maybe something like 'LPZ is d00m!', this current LPZ thing is pretty stupid but I enjoy it anyway, is pretty stupid but not if you just say 'the clips you chose don't make sence!' see what I'm sayin?? blame the playa not the game!

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:06 pm

punistation wrote:and this other big bloke starts with the "No! You're alive! So live!" thing. (Oy, talk about watching one too many EVA episodes...)
then he goes onto say 'E=MC squared! Energy equals Mass times Force (or something, don't blame me!! I'm in college!) is einsteins theory saying that since the alcohal went in it is being mixed around with such force that, depending on this guy's weight (and I'd guess him to be ~150 pounds!), the vomit will come out with SUCH energy that it could fill 100 balloons!! And 'OH!' the stench!! The fumes could keep the balloons filled for days!

OK something like that... but I beleive that was Otakon Documentary ;-p now that I think of it, another great thing that is/ was available on Joe's sight. The vid that allowed me too meet the beauty that is EK....

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:46 pm

*cough* Stalker :twisted:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:33 pm

*Activates his bathroom cameras*

Hehe... 8)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “General AMV”