What audio codec should I use?

silver_moon
Org Profile

What audio codec should I use?

Post by silver_moon » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:13 pm

I'm making a DivX file in Virtual Dub, and I made a pretty decent picture quality video that's about 40 MB, but the sound quality was terrible after I compressed it. I used MPEG-Layer 3 at 56 kBits/sec (22, 050 Hz).

Which compressor should I be using?

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:51 pm

After I fiddled around in Virtual Dub for a while I found a codec that worked pretty good, and I think I'll use it so don't worry about this thread anymore:)

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:04 pm

what codec would that be? anyway use vorbis audio and mux it in oggmux, vorbis is cool
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:35 pm

I used something called IMA ADPCM and it sounded pretty good. Heh... I know next to nothing about audio compression :roll:

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:59 pm

Um... well PCM gets hardly any compression. You want to go with MP3. The reason it sounded bad was because you downsmapled it to 22khz. Leave it at 44khz and use bitrate of 128kbit or better.

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:24 am

And if you feel you want to know more then refer to AbsoluteDestiny's guide to some things audio

It's really a good guide
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:38 am

Using PCM audio will make the audio data larger than the video data. You need to install another mp3 codec in order to encode audio at a higher bitrate.

Definitely read the audio guide to learn more about this.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:46 pm

If you can't use mp3, vorbis, or anything better, use ATRAC3 compression, it runs at a fixed bitrate of about 282 kbps, which is a lot better than pcm.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:30 pm

RadicalEd0 wrote:If you can't use mp3, vorbis, or anything better, use ATRAC3 compression, it runs at a fixed bitrate of about 282 kbps, which is a lot better than pcm.
I've never heard of ATRAC3.

I don't mean to imply I'm <I>the</I> authority of what's known and what's not, but I do try to keep up with the different codecs available.

If I've never heard of it, then I guarantee plenty of other pwoplw will have never heard of it.

If plenty of people have never heard of it, then plenty of people won't have the needed codecs installed, and therefore audio playback won't work properly.

If, however, it comes standard with Windows, then I simply don't remember it because it's not worth using.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. Make of it what you will. But I wouldn't recommend using an audio codec which, quite possibly, either few people will be able to easily use or which will sound like @$$.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:22 pm

hmm... ATRAC3 is the compression used for minidisk, so its fairly old, but it dosent sound like crap, and I'm pretty sure its standard. But funny thing is, I was just trying to encode something to test it and it won't seem to work :/ I still say go with vorbis o.o

Return to “Video & Audio Help”