Top 10% Min Requirement Raised

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:57 pm

Phade wrote:Hey,

Working on it... ;-)

Phade.
I have a few suggestions. Namely with the minimum ops to be qualified. Given, I like the idea of it being above 3, but 8 seems a bit too much. Now since the "ranking" requires only videos that have 8 or more ops to be qualified, I think that leaves less then 700 videos qualified before one even takes the top 10% of those.

It seems a bit harsh to cut the qualified videos from ~2,500 -> ~700. I'd suggest something around 5 or 6 opinions. I'd say that this would still take care of the problem that was rampant with the previous format of 3 ops. This would probably populate the top 10% with about ~100 videos which I think is pretty accurate compared to 50 - 60. I won't name videos, but I can think of plenty of great videos that aren't making the "cut" since the qualified videos "pool" is less than 700 and thus aren't within those Top 60 or so videos.

Oh and no, this post is not motivated by my own videos. Mine are from the top 10% currently :-P. I just think a lot of GREAT videos aren't on there and thus wouldn't get the exposure they deserve.

Another suggestion would be to go with the old format of 3 opinions to qualify and this new Baysian equation. That would definitely take care of the 3 op wonders because of the weighted rank (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C in the equation. This would obviously have the same # of entries in the top 10% (~250 videos), but the weighted average will make it so only the good videos (with more opinions) would populate the list.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the # of qualified videos isn't that many and thus the "top 10%" is more like the "top 5%" since it's so picky. At the same time, I realize why it is since the other problem is 3 op wonders. Thus, I think lowering the op requirement back to 3 AND having this Baysian equation will kill both problems. This would lead to a good 200 or so videos that deserve to be listed as such.

I hope this makes sense. I guess it's really up to you Phade to see which one works out the best and I do appreciate your work.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:08 pm

Oop! Just checked, there are 88 videos listed and thus that would mean 880 videos qualified. Hmm...perhaps these videos I think are great...aren't :-P. j/k
-Daniel

HungryCrackPot
Spammer Time
Org Profile

Post by HungryCrackPot » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:21 am

bring it down to no stars and incapable of being downloaded
maybe then i will stand a chance
oooooohhhhh ya
ImageImageImageImageImage

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:10 am

Is there any chance you can remove vids that aren't available for download? Or have them placed on a proxy? There are a number of vids on the top list that can't be downloaded - anime vids that could nicely be placed on the carrot. It just seems odd that you can't get some of the 'best' vids on the site. :?

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:53 am

why ur at it, there are a number of vids on the most under rated videos section with broken links. maybe there should be a way (for that section at least) where if it gets enough broken link warnings, the video is taken off the list
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:57 am

Hey,

Arigatomyna: Some vids come and go. With the full Donut server on the way, putting up more vids is completely an option when it gets here, but most will still be up to the video creator to do it.

ZeWrestler: I'm probably going to rewrite the "under rated" section to pull from the local vids, thus fixing that problem.

Phade.

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:15 pm

sounds cool phade
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Top 10% Min Requirement Raised

Post by dwchang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:59 pm

Phade wrote:Hey All,

With the creation of the Star Scale, the minimum number of opinions to appear on the Top 10% list has been increased from 3 to 7. This has reduced the number of videos appearing on the list but should also reduce the number of videos that shouldn't be on the list. More tweaking to follow.

Phade.
Quick thing...it says at the bottom:

"Qualified = count(opinions) > 7"

That would mean 8 opinions to qualify. Not 7.

Did you mean for it to be 7 instead of 8? I think you did based on this post, but perhaps you meant to say 8 here.

Given, it doesn't matter that much, just figured I'd point out a possible typo or worse something that requires actual work :(.
-Daniel

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:06 pm

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:30 pm

Phade, can we get an all 1's op purge anytime soon? The top 10% had a rash of those several weeks back from a "Super Vegeta" and others who wanted thier own videos to be pushed into the top slots...
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

Return to “Site Announcements”