Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Sereenie
Org Profile

N00bie alert...

Post by Sereenie » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:07 pm

Yep, one more!

Just a quick question, as I have read the posts AND the guides! (I swear!)

I am willing to try a few different software to see which one I like better. I read the software info page (OK, not all of it!) and written down a few I'd like to give a shot.

On the other hand, I have this software called "Cyberlink PowerDirector Pro 2.5" which came with my computer. I've never heard of it, no one I know has, and it's not in the software list.

Does anyone know it? Is it any good? (i. e. is it closer to Premiere or to WMM in quality?) Should I run away? In short, does anyone have anything to say about it?

I've seen the post about its free version 1.1 -- not useful, didn't give any info about the software. Another post, by elseif, was a bit more useful, but still pretty lacking in details; then again, it was an older version (2.2, I think).

What it comes down to is, I'm lazy and I don't see why I should go through all the trouble of getting new software and spending hours learning how to use it -- not to mention my precious dollars -- if I already have a perfectly good product! ^_^;

Thanks for your help. And please don't hesitate to flame me if there is a little-know section hidden somwhere which answers exactly that question!

S.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Re: N00bie alert...

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:05 pm

Sereenie wrote:What it comes down to is, I'm lazy and I don't see why I should go through all the trouble of getting new software and spending hours learning how to use it -- not to mention my precious dollars -- if I already have a perfectly good product! ^_^;
Best way to know if it's good, rather than waiting for someone who's heard of it, is to try it out. Make a vid and compare it to ones made by WMM (though 2.0 has a number of effects so these vids are getting better). If you like the way it works, use it. Who knows, you may have gotten a better movie maker on your computer than half the people on this site - you won't know until you try it. :?

Sporkmaster
Org Profile

Post by Sporkmaster » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:21 pm

Demos, its all about the demos.
When ever in doubt about getting a bad review remember these words; Shut up and make it better.
Xombie!The animated series
Something or other, newest video

Sereenie
Org Profile

Post by Sereenie » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:42 pm

Thanks! I'll try it with Virtual Dub (I don't have WMM) so at least I can compare those two together (this way I'm comparing oranges with oranges -- they're both low-end).

It's just that some tools are great for some things, but terrible for others. AMV making being such a specific way of working (multiple, high density clips), I expect that not all products are appropriate and that a lot of them simply do not answer to our needs. Considering I have never used such a software and a lot of people here have tried most of what's on the market, I'd save myself a lot of frustration trying here first. ^_^;

So, anyway, thanks for your help, it's really appreciated!

S.

ryuujin1
Org Profile

Post by ryuujin1 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:39 am

Is there a movie maker that uses .VOB files?

Saeth1
Org Profile

Post by Saeth1 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:30 am

I think some can, but if you Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>(Read Ermac and Absolute Destinies Friendly AMV Guide) it describes how to convert VOBS into avs, which is much better to edit in (less errors!)

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

Theres a clicky to the guide, if you have any other questions, it's most likely answered in there..

if not check the video software help forum, and good luck ;)

JoesGarage
Org Profile

Post by JoesGarage » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:57 pm

Hi, i really hope this is on topic and all and i skimmed through this thread and looked at some of the guides and stuff but i am still confused.

My question is: I have a MacOsX.......i am going to use iMovie to do the editing, my problem is.........i have no idea how to get footage. I hear talk of ripping but i have no idea what that is, and is it different for a mac then a pc? plus, if you can download it (which is prolly considered to be piracy and if it is im sorry) where can you download it for macs? If there is a good link in the guides section can you post it here cuz i could not find it, or if you can answer my questions thanks very much!! i'm sorry. ^_^;; ^_^;;

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:54 pm

Excellent question there Joe. Did you check out the guides? Try this area of the guide here, I wonder if anything there might be relevant to your question I'm not sure myself as I've never done it, but my assumption is that the process would essentially be the same.

PS.

Love the nick. :wink:

Down in Joe's Garage...
We were playing the same old song...
...play it through the evening and sometimes...

*goes off singing*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

NME
Org Profile

Frank Zappa

Post by NME » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:05 pm

Frank Zappa lives in my head, relentlessly martyring.

nevermind.

Guides are good, but the best thing to do when making an AMV is to just fool around. No one ever wrote a beautiful song, poem or painted a picture without a modicum of whimsy and magical fruitflavored jelly.

I love you mousepad.
nil per os

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:20 pm

Ya but you gotta have footage! :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “General AMV”