Why don't people want to stick to their own language?

BigName
Org Profile

Post by BigName » Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:03 am

jesus christ i'm a slow

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:07 am

*Masturbates*
Nope, don't see it. Better do another test run.
*Masturbates again*
Still nothing. One more time.
*Masturbates yet again*
Hmm. Inconclusive this time.
*Masturbates a fourth time*
Definitely don't see it. One more time!
*Gets stuck in a vicious cycle*
I'm out...

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:00 am

Ah my goddess is the correct title but when the Mr fujishima was told what it sounded like in english he expressed that he liked Oh my goddess and that's how it should be in english. Thats what animeigos liner notes say. So if Fujishima thinks that's what it should be I am in total agreement.

Mr Oni
Purity is wackable!
"Don't trust me I'm over 40!"

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:19 pm

So many points brought up. Whew. :shock:

In general I trace these back to two tendencies:

A) "Everything About Japan Is Inherently Superior To Everything About Every Other Country Ever Existing On Earth" would cause things like people frothing at the mouth if you say "Oh! My Goddess". It was so in Japan, ergo it is Good and Right and Holy.

B) "Tripping Over My Own Language-Bound Tongue" syndrome, in which people will habitually slur or change things so that they are more pronounceable within their own speech pattern.

JUST as Japanese speakers add vowels on the ends of words borrowed from other languages so that they are more pronounceable to them, so do English-speaking translators and fans alter pronunciations like "Ryoko" so that they fit more smoothly into their speech.

The points made sort of cancel each other out, don't they? You seemed to slam people who adhere AND people who change. It's confusing. I don't understand the overarching theme between the two. O_o;

The_Digital_Phoenix
Org Profile

Post by The_Digital_Phoenix » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:49 pm

I love voice talents and I try to see if I can emulate the voice actor, and I usually can. ^_^ So I try to say things the way they are meant to be said. But sometimes it's too hard to wrap my tongue around a tricky foriegn word and I just do My best.
I say "Sa koo rah" and not "Sak' rah" (or whatever you said) and I don't say "Sa ker rah" either.
When I pronouce Akira I say "A ki rah" with almost a "D" sound before the "rah". I have heard Akira pronounce so many times that I can't tell which is correct anymore.
It bugs me to no end when people say "Po kee mon" *shudders* I say Po kay mon" which I feel is correct. But go figure I say "Di geh mon" and "Di gee mon" :?

In short I just try and say words the way they are supposed to be said or the way I think they are supposed to be said. And I don't care what people say 'cause all people are different and all people will say things differently.
Case in point: Take the word "Either". My whole family and all my neighbors, except my sister, all say "eether" and my sister and I say "eyether". The later would be the English pronouciation, so I have no clue as to why we would say "eyether"
OMG

OK! I'll shut up now!

No one needs to go on that long about that.

Bye!
^_^

rurouni_trelane
Org Profile

Re: Why don't people want to stick to their own language?

Post by rurouni_trelane » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:27 pm

UncleMilo wrote: Ry, as in Ryoko and Ryu, is pronounced with a very quick "d" sound.

To say Ryu, you say the word "you" as if there was a quick "d" in front of it ... like dyou.

Ryoko, if you listen closely, is pronounced dyoko... again with a very quick d.
This is mostly only the case in Southern Japan, especially Okinawa. It's hilarious listening to a man from Okinawa trying to say "Relax." It comes out "dedax."
UncleMilo wrote: and sometimes, U is ignored.

Sakura is pronounced Sak'ra just as Asuka is pronounced As'ka.
This is distinctive of someone from Tokyo. The Tokyo accent tends to drop vowels, especially U's. Although the entire country tends to drop the U on the end of "desu".

Oh, and the japanese R and the japanese L are pretty much pronounced the same way: a mix of the two.
I believe in equality of the sexes and all, but hey, I likes boobs.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:55 pm

BigName I wasn't really concerned at all about the meaning of the song. If you'll note, I simply quoted the lyrics. And it really was just a comical quotation not really meant to drive my point or anything like that.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “General Anime”