What's the deal?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Glenn the Frog
Org Profile

What's the deal?

Post by Glenn the Frog » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:21 am

I don't know what kind of hazing you guys have going on here, but I'm a little disturbed. Everywhere I go here people seem to hate new posters to the board. Just because I recently started posting, it doesn't mean that I am new to the whole Anime Music Video scene. I have been making videos for a little over 2 and half years now, and I have about 13 completed videos under my belt. I don't think that I have to be ostracized just because I posted for the first time today. I just want to know why everyone here seems to be so eliteist.
Oh my god! Who driving car? Bear Driving Car? How can that be?

RyanGlazner
Org Profile

Post by RyanGlazner » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:25 am

You'll notice that most, if not all newbies that are picked on by board members are asking stupid questions (i.e. "where can I get music videos"), frequently in the wrong forum. If people will look around a bit and try to find some things out on their own, they wouldn't get picked on.

Glenn the Frog
Org Profile

Post by Glenn the Frog » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:28 am

Well, if a person is an idiot then they deserve to be ostracized. But anybody can be an idiot. It isn't fair to lump somebody new to the board into a category which is synonymous with idiot.

RyanGlazner
Org Profile

Post by RyanGlazner » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:34 am

I don't. I deal with everyone as individuals. If someone posts something stupid (and to the wrong forum, frequently), i'm going to tell them, and not necessarily in a nice way. This applies to everybody, not just people that are new. Thing is, most people that stick around have some common sense and think at least a little bit before they post. I'm sure there are many newbies that aren't idiots, but the ones that are get all the attention, so it looks like we haze all newbies. If a newbie just started posting relevantly and with some small amount of common sense, nobody would "haze" you. I did, and I was never picked on at all.

Fluxmeister
Org Profile

Post by Fluxmeister » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:34 am

Welcome to the real world, you are a statistic. :P

:roll:

Don't worry about it. Just take a real laid back attitude about the board.
If you have some important issues etc. I am sure you will get normal
responses.
| NHMK Music Video Downloads | Editing like it's 2006. |

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:35 am

It's not elitist, it's that people who have been here for awhile are used to getting the same questions on an almost weekly basis. Granted, this is no excuse for insulting someone, but it happens because most of the questions can be answered in guides already created and can be accessed from your member page.

I assume a lot of new posters are gregarious and just want to say hi and get involved in the forums. I think, and I could be wrong, the reason this forum is so different from other anime forums, is because the demographic here is pretty narrow in that most people here are amv makers. Some people are experienced video production types but the majority tend to be new to computer editing and have lots of questions to ask about amv making...and not just creation but concept. That's a hard thing to teach and some new people are so anxious, they don't realize that having some amv experience would help keep some of the rude comments away.

And then there are also people here who insult in a kidding kind of way that is funny and accepted by people who are aware of it (kind of like calling your friends names :) they know you don't mean it) but some people take insults on the internet seriously.

That's just my view. I guess, once someone is in here awhile they'd understand. It's not intended to be mean to new people...but I agree it can be confusing.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:35 am

Hmm... the only reason I might 'ostracize' you is because you used that same word in two consecutive posts!

Maybe you aren't looking closely enough. Most of the flames on newbies (using this term as newcomers to the Org, not new to AMVs) are from questions but they aren't really hostile. I've been trying to keep mine as un-hostile as I can. And not everyone here is 'eliteist' either. I can't think of anyone being cruel to a newbie just because it was his first post. If the post was, "Hey I'm new," then they usually aren't received very warmly. I think you can understand that that gets very annoying after a while.

We're really not bad people... :cry:
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Glenn the Frog
Org Profile

Post by Glenn the Frog » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:38 am

I'm sorry, its just I posted something asking for opinions on songs I was thinking of using and somebody had a very holier than thou attitude and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I was unfairly lumping the board regulars into an evil elitist group and that was wrong of me. I just won't say stupid things.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:52 am

It's ok :D
What I said about experience might ring in here though. I have always said (and heard others say):
It's easier to find an anime for a song than it is to find a song for an anime.

In other words, being inspired ususally comes from hearing a song and feeling it fits or click with an anime, either for it's style, emotion, interpretation or...so forth. It's harder to do it the other way...seeing an anime and trying to make a video from there..(view Failed Experiments in Video Editing :wink: )

I saw your other thread and the anime you have in mind.

What I advise is to not let someone else pick a song for you. For me, it's a much stronger desire and urge to work on something I felt myself. More inspiring and makes the whole process easier.

So, listen to some songs you like or at least have and feel it all out. See if anything fits with Metropolis in a way you feel you would like to express it. I find this method becomes invasive though...eventually, you will not be able to listen to a song without trying to mentally match it up with an idea :lol:

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:55 am

No no no, by all means say stupid things! This Org wouldn't be any fun if people never said stupid things. Look at temjin. Don't worry, over the next few hours, days, weeks you won't be able to ignore him.

And *some* people aren't AMV makers :oops: ! But hey, that doesn't stop me from watching, reviewing, suggesting, and helping. And my first post wasn't very well received either so don't worry 'bout it. In fact, out of 56 responses to my first post, only two were helpful.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “General AMV”