Putting AMVs on VCDs

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Blackheartstar
Org Profile

Putting AMVs on VCDs

Post by Blackheartstar » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:49 pm

Ive tryed puttong several AMVs onto a VCD so that I could watch them in comfort on my tv, but some of them come out looking realy bad. (On the other hand others come out perfect.)

Do I need to do anything special for them to come out with the same level quality they had on my PC?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Re: Putting AMVs on VCDs

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:27 pm

Blackheartstar wrote:Ive tryed puttong several AMVs onto a VCD so that I could watch them in comfort on my tv, but some of them come out looking realy bad. (On the other hand others come out perfect.)

Do I need to do anything special for them to come out with the same level quality they had on my PC?
Unless you have really bad quality amv's, they won't look as good as VCD's, because VDC is only 352x240 res.

For tips on how to make them look as good as possible, read chapter 6 of Ermac's Guide on making good encodes with TmpegEnc.

Beef
Org Profile

Post by Beef » Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:16 pm

One of my friends has a cheap dvd player and because of that the audio come out horrable, make sure your DVD player does not suck. That could be a prop although I never heard of a cheap DVD player playing Video crappy, just crappy audio.
http://www.sakkakustudios.com - Witness the Illusion
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=16354" target="_blank" class="postlink">ORG Profile</a>

CArnesen
Org Profile

Re: Putting AMVs on VCDs

Post by CArnesen » Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:58 pm

Blackheartstar wrote:Ive tryed puttong several AMVs onto a VCD so that I could watch them in comfort on my tv, but some of them come out looking realy bad. (On the other hand others come out perfect.)

I would actually recommend making it into a SVCD (480x480 resolution). You can only fit about 25 minutes on a disk, but it looks really good.

--Chris ^^

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:27 pm

I tried to put my own AMV on a SVCD about two days ago, and I ended up with with something very strange. I got the picture and teh sound just fine, I even got the menu, but unfortunately the motion was extremely chunky. Like, the footage would move for about 3/4 of a second and then stop for 1/4 of a second. It would do this over and over in the same pattern. I don't know what went wrong. Also, why is the aspect ratio of SVCDs 1:1? I mean, isn't the res of a television 720x480?
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

§_Akuma_§
Org Profile

Post by §_Akuma_§ » Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:04 pm

if u need help putting files on a VCD, go to www.vcdhelp.com that place will tell u EVERYTHING about VCD's, what program to use and how to use them.
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=13690">======§ Akuma §======
2006 § Akuma § Productions</a>

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:24 pm

Ashton wrote:I tried to put my own AMV on a SVCD about two days ago, and I ended up with with something very strange. I got the picture and teh sound just fine, I even got the menu, but unfortunately the motion was extremely chunky. Like, the footage would move for about 3/4 of a second and then stop for 1/4 of a second. It would do this over and over in the same pattern. I don't know what went wrong. Also, why is the aspect ratio of SVCDs 1:1? I mean, isn't the res of a television 720x480?
Actually, analog TV really just has "lines" of resolution, which is where the 480 vertical Res. comes in. IIRC, having 720 lines of horizontal resolution on a DVD is to allow for 16:9 widescreen playback, and 640 is all the effective resolution you really benefit from on a "normal" 4:3 TV set. Hardware DVD players just generate an analog line from however many pixels are allocated for it, approporiate for whichever TV type is flagged in the player's menu.

More to the point: Ashton, have you ever been able to burn and play SVCD files encoded by someone else sucessfully?
Is this on your computer or a hardware player? I'll assume the mpeg file itself plays back fine on your computer off the HD.
Could be your player is having trouble reading the disc fast enough to get all the frames rendered.
Did you burn a CD-R or CDRW?
Did you try playing it with your computer CD drive with DVD playing software?
Do you have another brand/type of disc available to try?

Just a few possibilities to check out.

Return to “General AMV”