stormychef
Org Profile

Post by stormychef » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:28 am

noir actually means black, dark.

and pronounciation would be like nwar

BaHaRa
Org Profile

Post by BaHaRa » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:23 pm

When something is in an anime and its not actually japanese, i usually just pronounce it the way the seiyuus do, even though it may not be correct, it sort of is when refering to the anime

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Sat Aug 10, 2002 9:17 am

It should be 'Nwar' as has been stated by others on this post.

In my film classes, we studdied film-noir and that was how it was pronounced. It is the accepted pronounciation in the US to my knowledge.

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

Anime Jedi
Org Profile

Post by Anime Jedi » Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:50 am

You guys sound like you're having trouble. I don't have trouble pronouncing Noir, but that's because I've taken most of my classes for the past 11 years in french. Speak English at home, French during class. I may speak it, but I'm not as fluent as someone that that was their first language. And if you're wondering, I easily do essays and stuff like that in French or English, not that essays are easy of course :lol: . I was born in Montreal, Québec after all.

So after I've trailed off for about 100km, back to Noir. It's hard to type something how it is supposed to be pronounced. I bet that most of you guys are trying to say the same thing, but just think of different spelling for the word. You'll just have to learn from someone in person, it would be so much easier. But all of you are as close as you can get.

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:10 pm

Tu parles couramment français, alors?

Anime Jedi
Org Profile

Post by Anime Jedi » Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:57 pm

Wyverex.CYPHER wrote:Tu parles couramment français, alors?
Attends une minute, je ne parles pas couramment français, mais je parles moyenne. Je parles français sans accent, donc quel qu'un que le français est leur langue maternelle saurait que le français n'est pas ma langue maternelle.

Une fois quand je faisais du ski au Québec, je parlais avec une femme en français. Mais après j'ai dit mon premier phrase, elle m'a répondu en anglais, parce que c'était si évident que je parlais anglais.

Malheureusement, l'année dernière était mon dernier année en fraçais. 11ième année et 12ième année vont être en anglais, donc je ne pourrais pas amiliorer dans cette langue. Comme tu peux voir, je probablement à beacoup de fautes d'orthographe. Aussi, je ne savais pas le mot, couramment, donc je devais le chercher dans la dictionnaire. :(

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:01 pm

Je parlerais anglais comme tu parles français, je serais content ^_^.

(I would be glad to speak english as you speak french)

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:04 pm

Sinon, j'ai le même problème dans l'autre sens : je me fais toujours comprendre et je comprends toujours, mais on voit tout de suite que ce n'est pas ma langue maternelle ^_^.

(more than two words => no translation)

priuscomet
Org Profile

Post by priuscomet » Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:10 pm

je parles fracais a peu. ::wince::

anyway, yes, "noir" means black. but all these different pronouncations are a bit confusing.

noir is usually pronounced "nwa" while you hold your nose and say the word fast. then there's the fobbish american pronounciation where you say "nowar" by just saying the word fast. all those hyphens people were putting up there made it seem like the word was two syllables when its actually just one.

Wyverex
Org Profile

Post by Wyverex » Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:16 pm

Yep was talking bout the proper pronounciation, not the fastest one.

proper : nwar -or- noar (R like in german and A like in "ah");
fastest : drop the R as prius said.

Return to “General Anime”