Difficulty With bad HK DVD source

Ashton
Org Profile

Difficulty With bad HK DVD source

Post by Ashton » Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:16 am

I have two disclaimers to start out with.
1. This is your formal warning, I'm going to get as technical as I know how on this one so for all those out there that know better than I do, I apologize, and for all those out there that don't know very much of the terminology or concepts I apologize as well.
2. Yes, it's HK DVDs, but it's Inu Yasha, and Viz is being lazy otherwise I would already own the US release, please believe me. Also believe that when it is finally released I will buy it.

Alright, right down to the bottom. I bought two sets of Inu Yasha DVDs from an eBay retailer in Hong Kong. I really wasn't sure what I was going to get, but they arrived soon enough. The price was right, and the subs weren't horrible so I lived with it. But even at the time I noticed something was horribly wrong with the video. Not something distracting enough that it detracted from my viewing experience, but something that I couldn't put my finger on and everyone that saw the video felt as well.
So time goes by and I decide that I must do an IY vid, so I got and rip off the VOBs and load avisynth and all that junk, and I decide that I'm going to figure out what's wrong with them and fix it so I can make my video. This is all well and good, and sitting down and scrutinizing every frame did the trick just fine; I discovered the source of my anguish within a half an hour.
It's odd to think now that I missed something so obvious at first, but it wasn't something I was really looking for. The difficulty was in the color. It seemed that two chroma YUV channels had somehow shifted about 8 pixels to the left in their encoding job (or their cruddy analogue recording job.)
So last night I set out to find a way to solve my difficulties. I found two very effective VirtualDub filters that both did the trick nicely and put those chroma channels right back in their place. Unfortunately I was still left with three problems.
First, and less importantly, the filters are very slow. They make an encode of one of the disks take 7 days, a length of time that I'm not willing to part with my computer for. In addition this means that I am forced make a recompress, and with the amount of space on my computer it's going to have to be about 2000 k/sec which is pretty bad. The most logical solution to both of these problems would be if I could find an AVIsynth plugin that is much faster and does the same thing. Or is there any other solution?
Second, I said that the chroma is about 8 pixels off, but that's not exactly correct. The chroma is off by 8 pixels for that majority of the time, but it changes. Some of time it moves over a few, and it usually sticks to a certain distance all throughout a scene. I can't imagine why that is.
Third, there seems to be some overflow somehow, so that even though I put the Chroma between the lines of the luma odd colors go outside of the lines. For instance, Inu Yasha is standing in a scene wearing his typical red robe and the red is all nice and snug in it's luma confines, but a very light pink is spilling out the left side and a very dark blue is spilling out the left side. This third problem is probably the least important because it's really only noticeable if you look closely at an individual frame or stare directly at the side of his suit.

So, I'm sorry for trying to use HK (and please, don't anybody respond, "well, serves you right for using HK DVDs. Hahaha, look how morally superior I am! Hahaha!")(oh, and if anybody actually responds with that message, it will expose your level of maturity) but I really do want to make this video and you must admit that Viz really did drop the ball on this one. Thanks for all of your help.
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:24 am

ok, I'm going to be helpful.

They've obviously captured the Inu Yasha using an analogue source and it's got colour bleed.

My advice is to edit your video in a lossless format then try and apply the chroma shift and chroma blurring filters to your end product.

This way, it wont take 7 days to do.

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:35 am

Thanks so much for the response, now that you mention it that sounds like a right dandy idea, especially since I would have been editing losslessly anyway using AVIsynth. The only problem with that is that I really dislike those blur chroma filters. They take forever and they tend to reduce the quality. Oh well, it will be the best looking IY video to date :D (unless someone got a hold of region 2 DVDs :( .... *runs off the check*)
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:50 am

I've got access to region 2 IY dvds, but I haven't made a video from them.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”