A-kon 14 results and contest/panel discussion.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

A-kon 14 results and contest/panel discussion.

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:46 am

Best Overall, Fan favorite
Song: Yatta
Anime: Various

Best Technical
Song:
Anime: Initial D

Best Artistic and Judges choice
Song: My funny valentine
Anime: Cowboy Bebop
Created by Machine

Hentaifest winner:
MJ's Moneyshot

Iron Chef Winners

Round 1

Big Dave vs. Danny Wilson
Song: DMX's X is gonna give it to you
Footage:
Big Dave - GTO
Danny Wilson - Blood
Winner: Big Dave
Big Dave's was hilarious while Danny tried to make it a serious video.

Round 2

Castor Troy vs. Hitori
Song: Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville
Footage:
Castor Troy: FLCL
Hitori: Excel Saga
Winner: Castor Troy
Very close contest btw...

---------------------------
AMV Contest Discussion
---------------------------

Ugh.....

Before the contest started, we were all subjected to this Sailor Moon transformation video to burn time for the contest and it was played REALLY FUCKING LOUD especially with me and the rest of the La Familia sitting up near the front.

The actual contest was pretty bad because all of the videos were put on 1 tape recorded in EP which really screwed over many people especially the Milo brothers. Alot of the videos were from horrible divx sources and some even SHOWED THE DAMN DIVX logo. Some even looked like 160 x 120 rm files blown up to view on a projector screen (I liked that fruits basket video but it looked like a muddy pile of crap visually). My video looked like it went through a blender 35 times and the sound started off low and went normal around the middle. The only video that actually survived the entire recording process was Ikasu's Sin City.

The contest was a pretty big disappointment and their explanation for only accepting VHS is TOTAL BS since they played MJ's moneyshot from his cd.

----------------
AMV Panel
----------------

Yes, there was an amv panel and Hitori and I went to help out with it but Hitori went to the awards ceremony but I decided to stay. When I sat on the panel, I barely got to say anything because the 2 people running it didn't even give me a chance to speak. I didn't want to be rude and interrupt them since they sorta knew what there were talking about. I only got to say around 5 phrases (One being a correction for "Doki Doki Studios" and I said "Productions", saved you there Tim :)

With the last 5 minutes, they showed Dragon Bebop Z on the TV but didn't even bother to turn the lights off which made it hard to see. Plus they didn't even give a chance to show Hitori's videos.

--------------

I had an absolute blast at Akon except for the actual amv related stuff. I really hope they get their act together because so many of us were screwed over.

I'll be posting a list of the contest videos later. If you didn't make it, you were shown at the showcase.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Re: A-kon 14 results and contest/panel discussion.

Post by mexicanjunior » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:09 am

Castor Troy wrote:
Hentaifest winner:
MJ's Moneyshot
Good times, good times... 8) The only semi bad thing about that was I could tell the guy that made the "other vid" was pretty upset about not winning. I shook his hand and he was kind of surly with me. :| Twas still my proudest AMV moment so far. :D
Castor Troy wrote:
I had an absolute blast at Akon except for the actual amv related stuff. I really hope they get their act together because so many of us were screwed over.
Castor = my new/old hero. :D You must make AWA man, La Familia needs you. :D

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:16 am

mexicanjunior wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:
Hentaifest winner:
MJ's Moneyshot
Good times, good times... 8) The only semi bad thing about that was I could tell the guy that made the "other vid" was pretty upset about not winning. I shook his hand and he was kind of surly with me. :| Twas still my proudest AMV moment so far. :D
Castor Troy wrote:
Castor = my new/old hero. :D You must make AWA man, La Familia needs you. :D
That guy's video wasn't even that great. I almost thought he had a chance because he used familiar anime characters in hentai which would please the crowd but Moneyshot had the WAY better sync and matching. I can't believe that guy just blew you off man... talk about a poor sport. :x

Man, I miss all you guys already! Good times! :cry:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Darkseid
Org Profile

Post by Darkseid » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:16 am

EP?!!! :shock:

Egads....
"Had I known one human's death caused you pain, I would have killed MORE... and kill more I shall!"

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:26 am

First off....MY EYES...All those quote replies threw me off...I got confused...My head hurts now...lol..But I wish I could of been there....Next year for sure though...But I'm glad to hear that my video actually played BETTER visually wise than anyone elses...Hee hee!....::Sends the 5 dollars he owes to the tech guy for his wonderful work at A-kon::...^_^..

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:10 am

Castor Troy wrote: Best Artistic and Judges choice
Song: My funny valentine
Anime: Cowboy Bebop
Created by Machine
I almost forgot, Best Artistic was actually a tie between Carlos's vid and a Trigun/Superman-Five For Fighting video. Not sure who made it though.

pmfreak
Org Profile

Post by pmfreak » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:29 am

What happen to the Best action/comedy/drama categories? They didn't have them? How the hell they didn't have best action/comedy/drama categories?

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:26 am

Well always next year

and my AMV was entered in the comedy........
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2014

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:16 pm

pmfreak wrote:What happen to the Best action/comedy/drama categories? They didn't have them? How the hell they didn't have best action/comedy/drama categories?

Akon does not do Action/Comedy/Drama...They are different (i.e. cheap)

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:49 pm

Totally told you guys to come to JACON. JACON was amazing! It rawked!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Return to “AMV Contests”