Does hardware effect playback?

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Does hardware effect playback?

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:20 pm

I'm all new to the whole hardware stuff. My forte is DVD ripping and conversion.

Does the hardware I have affect the playback of videos?....Or more, what hardware involves video? Graphics card, what's that?

Flame me if you will, but at least answer my question, okay? (I feel like a newbie all over again) :lol:
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:20 am

Hardware can affect playback. Especially if they're super compressive formats like DivX and Realmedia. Usually a 300 mhz or above comp can handle them just fine. A good videocard helps also, especially if it's AGP.
I'm out...

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:30 am

Well really it the thing that really affect video speed is usually the CPU.

You could have a really shitty PCI video card on a 200Mhz machine and nothing would play, put that video card in a 600Mhz machine and you'll likely have no problems playing back at all.

AGP really was meant for letting the video card use system memory for video memory(thus the video card can use as much memory as the system has), which is insanely slow so it's not used. Which is why we see cards out with 128MB of ram on them.

AGP does have other benefits, but it really doesn't play much part with your 2D playback.... KTHULU!!! :P so there...

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:32 am

ugh... that makes no sense....

I am mainly speaking of DivX. MPEG1 is known to playback fine on even 486s! :shock:

DivX is much more intensive. So on a 200Mhz machine you could probably play things like MPEG1, Indeo, CinePack , but not the l33ter MPEG2 or MPEG4 type codecs(DVDs or the many DivX flavors).

;)

~klinky

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:01 pm

AGP reduces latency. Or so I hear. God knows that PCI ATI Rage Pro was a piece of slow ass shit in my K6-2 500. If I had an AGP version I bet it woud've been faster.
I'm out...

Melfina
Org Profile

Post by Melfina » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:26 pm

Of course a AGP card is going to be better than the pci version. How does your hardware effect your video playback?? Well most movie players use direct show. But depending on the video, playback shouldn't go above 30 fps, which in effect is all cpu. If you are having problems with video feedback you might consider buying a $100 on ebay because its bound to be better than what youve got.
Forum Nublar
Webmaster and founder of

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:35 pm

kthulhu wrote:AGP reduces latency. Or so I hear. God knows that PCI ATI Rage Pro was a piece of slow ass shit in my K6-2 500. If I had an AGP version I bet it woud've been faster.
I think it was because of shitty drives in Win2k, it worked pretty good Win98.. remember ;)

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:35 pm

err that should be drivers :oops:

~klinky

Melfina
Org Profile

Post by Melfina » Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:17 am

Spend the 20 bucks to buy some stupid ati card, shove it in, get the new drivers, and you can play video...i mean like a 8meg pci graphics card can do video...maybe not that stupid windows media wooshey graphics thing...but it will play movies
Forum Nublar
Webmaster and founder of

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:20 am

I have a Geforce 2 GTS in a Duron 600 box now, so video performance is not an issue for me anymore.
I'm out...

Return to “Hardware Discussion”