Legal?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:20 am

Melfina wrote:they said that it was alright as long as the footage was not misrepresenting the footage used
It means you shouldn't portray Hamtaro as Hitler, and stuff.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Petro
Location: In the Nuclear Blast Zone of Washington DC, Virginia
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:40 am

jbone wrote:It means you shouldn't portray Hamtaro as Hitler, and stuff.
You mean he isn't? :shock:
My Profile There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:51 am

Ashton wrote:You know, while this is very interesting and educational, it really is just that: educational.
Does anyone else find it slightly disturbing that knowledge of laws has simply become "educational"? It's not like I know every nuance of the US legal system (or any other country's for that matter), but as far as I know, ignorance doesn't stand up too well in a court of law.
Ashton wrote:Since we can pretty well see based on the history of the matter that the companies don't care we can all feel safe in the fact that they will continue to not care.
What history are you talking about? Since you apparently were not aware of the Prince/Maboroshi incident...
Ashton wrote:I mean, we haven't even heard so much as a peep of a warning from anyone (have we?) so I really think it would be odd if one of the companies just "out of the blue" decided, "Hey, we're going to go sue joe blow for this even though there are thousands of these guys running around all over the internet".
Yeah, the chances that anyone is going to target you specifically are pretty low, but hiding in a crowd doesn't necessarily make you safe.
Ashton wrote:And just like Napster/other p2p file sharing, even if that post-apocalyptic dreaded day does come that the various industries and companies does decide to go on a rampage and round up all of us for some bizarre reverse class action lawsuit, we will survive in clusters and pockets of sharing all across this vast internet like small rodents we will continue to multiply and evade capture and scurry from one side of the 'net to the other to avoid being smashed.
So you're saying fuck everyone else, we'll survive like the cockroaches we are even though it was probably our callous disregard and blatant flaunting of our "power" that caused the post-apocalyptic events in the first place?
Ashton wrote:Simply put, I intend to keep doing what I'm doing, are any of you really scared?
No, I'm not scared at all. But I wouldn't be surprised if this ever came to court. Or if some initiative passed that placed restrictions on Internet access and this was cited as an example. (Basically, I wouldn't put anything past the RIAA and similar-minded establishments.)
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Melfina
Org Profile

Post by Melfina » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:23 am

Lol speaking of hamtaro, I ran across the spanish intro version to it, note if you enjoy a good laugh download it, I do believe it is posted on the main page as mp3 of the day today...or it should be

Clickey blelow...and hamtaro is the devil RAWR!!!
Forum Nublar
Webmaster and founder of

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:44 am

Even if we did end up in court....

Think of the Publicity! :twisted:

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:31 pm

Mmmm....excessive bandwidth usage....more n00bs...
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:09 pm

Machine wrote:Even if we did end up in court....

Think of the Publicity! :twisted:
You truly are evil. Either that, or simply quit optimistic.
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:16 pm

I'm far more concerned about the various industries' attempts at copy protection and getting legislation passed that would make our computers open books to them and give them the right to delete anything they deem in violation of their narrow vision. An actual lawsuit would be a tremendous waste of resources for the RIAA. I mean, think of how many legal fees they would have to pay to stamp out every AMV studio. There's probably safety in numbers there, as it's not cost effective, but the big pitcure is much less friendly.

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:33 pm

I predict the downfall of the RIAA will be a joyous occasion.

I will piss on their ashes :twisted:

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:42 am

Not that I want to be the sorry bitch that has to use it, but fact is that AMV's typically have a larger filesize than the CD quality WAV of the same song might just have a small impact on a jury, ya think?

Also, AMV's are not conducive to pirating "entire albums" of music, or however the RIAA hysterics try to frame it.

Not that this is a very strong argument, but it IS true.
I've bought both CD's and Anime DVD's because something I saw in an AMV got me interested.

Besides, if they don't stop you from distro'ing it for2-3 months, it's cat-out-of-bag syndrome: people all over will keep trading it, and maybe want it even more if it gets publicity.

Just say "ok, I'll stop." then advertise the fact on every anime related board and chat you can find. :twisted:

Return to “General AMV”