Mac or PC . . . what's the difference?

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:19 am

You're right, they're not the same thing - I misread it as x86-64, and I still assume that's what he meant, though you're right that it's not what he said.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:28 am

Are you sure he isn't a mormon?

You know, I remember this rumor going around a while ago that the next ST movie would envolve the crew going back to the First Enterprise, and when it started up a "Welcome to Machintosh" startup screen would be on the view screen. And I thought "gee, that makes perfect sense, because in every movie the Enterprise is always broken". Unfortunately it was just a rumor.

Really, it jut sounded like Red Wolf had a stick up his ass. Smelled the PC stench... well, that would explain it. PCs love me, rarely ever crash. My old AT&T 386 still works, for some unkown reason my 98SE system is increadibly stable (just don't let Seirra Utilities near it is all). Yet, I'll sit down with a Mac and find a new and creative way to crash it in about five minutes just by opening up it's version of notepad. I've just never ever ever had a good experiance with a Mac... and I'm left brained. And in my experiance, it takes a lot longer for a Mac to start up than a PC, the Mac only does it in a sneakier way to make you think it goes fast.

But, I have come across the odd person who can do good things with a Mac. I've just never had any luck with the platform.

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:33 am

Like I said it's just a rummor. I am trying to find the article, but it was a couple of weeks ago.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:38 am

There've been rumors about Apple doing stuff for x86/etc. processors for years. They're all phoney.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:49 am

jbone wrote:There've been rumors about Apple doing stuff for x86/etc. processors for years. They're all phoney.
Well, at one point there was a rumor that Apple was working on getting Quicktime on Windows. :)

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:54 am

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:54 am

That's different...Apple-format digital video on Windows actually makes sense, as it increases Apple's userbase. However, abandoning all their years of progress on their own hardware platforms would be highly irregular.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:45 am

The key words in both of those articles is "speculation". If Jobs comes out and says "We are putting Mac OS X on AMD systems", that'll be enough to convince me.

jbone: Yes, I know it's not the same, but it's fun to pedantically poke your sentences apart like that. :P

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:12 am

Anytime I get a piece of good working electrical hardware,it starts to mess up.Maybe I generate excessively high static.
I'm out...

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:27 pm

Buy yourself an Anti-Static Wrist Band. I can't say that they work though.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”