Mac or PC . . . what's the difference?

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:26 pm

The only reason that PCs have a worse reputation about crashing is because of the shear number of them in existence. If town A has only 2 people driving cars, it is likely that there will not be many car accidents and if there are, the numbers are rather small. If town B has 100,000+ people driving, there are going to inherently be more accidents (and most are probably the same kind of accidents – not stopping at a stop sign, red light, etc.) I figure that is a simple way of putting it to people who use simple computers.

Mac users need to also stop griping about Bill Gates stealing Windows from Apple. He stole it fair and square from the same people that Apple stole it from.

As far as Macs having had the hardware a long time ago, so too did the PC world. Look at any "All-In-Wonder" video card from ATI - cheap video capture before Firewire. CDR technology – I don’t know when they came to the PC but my first PC back in 1996 had one. By the way, I took some classes on print graphics and digital video back in 1994. We used Macs for print graphics and PCs for video and 3D animation. When I asked “why not one computer for all?” I was told that rendering was faster on the PC and that the only reason Macs are used for print graphics is because that’s just the way it has always been. Kind of like the old monkey story – take 3 monkeys put them in a cage and beat the crap out of all of them if one of them goes for the banana. After they stop going for the banana replace one monkey with a new one. He goes for the banana and the other 2 beat the crap out of him, but they don’t get hurt. Eventually the new monkey does not go for the banana. Replace the other 2 old monkey one by one in the same manner and after a while you have 3 monkeys that won’t go for the banana and don’t know why – it’s just the way it has always been. I’ll give you this – before the early 1990’s, Macs ruled in graphics. Sorry about that, back to the speed issue. I still remember an old Mac commercial, I think it was for the G2 or G3 that said something along the lines of "This computer is faster than a Pentium II." If you looked at the bottom of the screen it said in fine print "compared to a Pentium II 266." At the time you could get a Pentium II 400 or K6-2 400.

And I am tired of Mac lovers saying that their PC's last longer and don't need upgrades. My first PC I ever bought is still in operation and it didn't need an upgrade, I wanted one. It may only be a Pentium I 233MHz but it still runs everything my friend needs (He is not a gamer). Upgrades can be cheap if you think ahead with a PC.

Have you ever noticed that things for small children and construction workers are also very icon driven? I will probably catch a lot of flack for that response, but it is true.

Ok,
You will find that your Mac AMV creators are, on the whole, a much more educated, successful, polite, serious about their work, and savvy creator than your average PC AMV creator.
I’m not sure about that. Me personally I only have an Associates in Electronic graphics, and am 3 classes away from an Associates in Computer Programming, but of the people I know that have PC computers, many have degrees in one thing or another, while the others that have Macs are either under 16 or would be better off with a TV internet machine because they think that my knowledge of computers extends to fixing their Mac problems. Sorry, but Macs are not trouble free and I don’t mess with them.

Personally of PCs I prefer AMD, which unfortunately means I will probably have to have a little more respect for Macs in the next year or so. If you have heard the news Apple is working on an x86 64bit version of OSX. Who is the only one with an x86 64bit processor looming in the horizon? AMD. This is all just a rumor so don't take it to the bank.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:41 pm

A Mac and a PC both have equal ability to be unstable and crash-prone. As more of the people who own Macs are educated/computer-literate, they are more likely to understand how to configure it so that it is stable. Even though about the same <I>quantity</I> of PC users are able to run stable, reliable systems, a smaller <I>percentage</I> is able to because there are so many more PC users.

A computer is a tool. In this day and age, it's possible to do basically anything using any platform, and it's just a matter of individual preference as to which platform "works better." There is no such thing as an indisputable, conclusive study to show that one playform is absolutely better than the other, since all published studies are inherently flawed in some way.

So, basically, both Macs and PCs are good, and anyone who wastes time arguing over which is "the better platform" is a moron. :-D

Pick a platform you like, and use it to your heart's content. Just don't try to unduly presure other people into using it just because you think it's superior.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:54 pm

Red Wolf started it. :roll:

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:05 am

In that case, Red Wolf is a morin. ;-)
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:07 am

moron

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:09 am

Me too! - doh!

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:12 am

I think we should all ditch computers and do back to VCR to VCR editing.

On second thought that would spark a worse debate - DV vs. VHS vs. SVHS vs. HI-8 vs. Beta.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:12 am

Sinime wrote:If you have heard the news Apple is working on an x86 64bit version of OSX. Who is the only one with an x86 64bit processor looming in the horizon? AMD. This is all just a rumor so don't take it to the bank.
I really, really doubt that. (If it's true, show me the news article, and it'd better be from a reputable source.) Apple has a greater stake in the hardware business than the software business. The core of Mac OS X has been available now for the Intel x86 architecture for a while -- go install Darwin on a machine. It's the upper layers -- Quartz/Quartz Extreme (which I must admit looks really, really cool, from the developer and user perspective), Aqua, Cocoa, Carbon, etc. that people buy the machines for. If all that comes out for the x86 architecture, Apple is sunk.

People say that Apple has had a working version of OS X for the Intel x86 family in its military-lockdown blue building, but I don't think that's all that true, either.

Oh, by the way, the Intel Itanium has been out for a while now, and the Itanium2 is due out soon. Both run legacy 32-bit x86 code -- so, no, AMD isn't the first.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:14 am

trythil wrote:Oh, by the way, the Intel Itanium has been out for a while now, and the Itanium2 is due out soon. Both run legacy 32-bit x86 code -- so, no, AMD isn't the first.
Itanic isn't x86-64.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:18 am

No, it's not. But then again, AMD's Hammer also isn't an "x86" CPU in the traditional sense of the word. Or maybe he meant x86-64, and I didn't read that correctly. (Yeah, I don't read "x86 64-bit" as the same as "x86-64", because they're not.)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”