how you rate anime

Gatsthedarksword
Org Profile

how you rate anime

Post by Gatsthedarksword » Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:28 pm

this is kinda an odd question but i see alot of "whats your favorite anime" going on, not just on this site but all over. so i figured i would ask, do you put series and movies under the same train of thought when deciding your favorite i mean when i think that i descide on a series and a movie, like for example my favorite series has to be berserk but my favorite movie is suikoden"demon century" any one whos seen that movies going AH YEAH. funny as hell and the fight seens are great, but it's just a movie if they had more time to develop the characters and conflicts it would be my favorite anime title period but as it is simply a movie i can get more into berserk when i watch it, more action more drama, the short bits of funny in berserk are hard to find but more enjoyale because of the contrast. so i ask is there anyone else who does that or do you lump 'em together? how is my question, not what but if you descide to go ahead and tell your fav. anime.
"I'm a philosophy major. That means I can think deep thoughts about being unemployed."
Bruce Lee.

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:58 pm

I lump em together, and Bebop's still my fave.
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:15 am

A phrase I often use for people who don't know anime is this

"Saying you like or don't like anime is like saying you like or don't like American Movies"

There are too many styles, genres and themes in anime... just like in American films...

how can you compare your favorite action film to your favorite comedy to your favorite romance to your favorite drama?

Personally, I don't think you can.

I will always place the works of Ghibli up at the top because they are fine achievements in animation

but Wings of Honneamisse is one of the most complicated anime titles I have ever seen (just given all the work building the world it is set in... and that was about 2 years worth of work before anything else was done)

Then I have MANY good memories associated with Ranma 1/2 for personal reasons... even if Ranma isn't my favorite anime... or even in my top 10... I will always love Ranma because of other things I associate with it

I find it impossible to pick a top 10

but I chose my top 10 based on the impact the title had on me, the quality of the story telling and the characters.

So it isn't set in stone or anything.

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

Beefmaster10000
Org Profile

Post by Beefmaster10000 » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:20 am

I love anime. I seem to be addicted to it. So far, all the anime I have seen I end up liking them. I am also quite open minded, so the genre doesn't really matter to me.

projekt_navi
Org Profile

Post by projekt_navi » Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:25 am

I think every anime is great, even if i hate some, but I always give credit to the people who did the anime to show my appreciation.
A Fire Inside <<< AFI ... very good punk-rock band ... no shitty linkin park music ... pure rock :twisted:

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:05 am

Most important anime feature:

Huge breasts.The size of VW Bugs.So far no anime I have watched has satisfied this criteria (near the ending of Akira doesn't count either!). :x
I'm out...

Mroni
Location: Heading for the 90s living in the 80s sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
Org Profile

Post by Mroni » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:49 pm

You can have a favorite anime and my favorite Is Urusei Yatsura hands down it. It satisfies my sexual fantasies with lum chan it has funny and interesting plots. Yes anime is a broad field but just like american movies you can have a favorite. A movie you put above everything else. My favorite movie hands down is Mel brooks History of the world.

Mr Oni
Purity is wackable!
"Don't trust me I'm over 40!"

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:29 pm

I rate my anime the way I rate anything else be it music, movies, books, or anything else. If I like it its good. I know some friends of mine that watch anime for the sake of watching it and take anyhting that japan has to give, be it good or bad. (I even caught him watching DBZ of all things.) But there are animes that I wont watch because they are utter crap.

*builds rocket and flies away from planet at speed of light*

I even come down on good animes because of the way they let the symbolism take front seat to the story and characters. Take evangelion for instance, if you cant have a good show without a good story, and you can't have a good story without good characters then evangelion was utter crap, I sat there for 30 episodes watching shinji get his nuts kicked by his dad, asuka, rie, and the rest of the cast only to see him throw away human kind in not one but TWO crappy endings. Not to mention that the good guys were the bad guys and the bad guys good guys the scientific inacuracies and that bitch Asuka (she needs to be mentioned twice.) After about 5 episodes the only thing that kept me going was the hope that things turned out right for shinji and was sorely disapointed. This would be my main example. but don't star flaming me yet I havent gotten to why I hate gundam wing or the ending to CB yet.

*travels to ice planet to wait out flammings*

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:13 pm

FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME :twisted:
Copyright © Rozard 2002

So don't anyone even think about using it! :P
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:52 pm

<----- Too lazy to use Dr. Evil or the Rammestien poster Flames.
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

Return to “General Anime”