AWA

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:36 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:We do, on the other hand, have the current world champion heavyweight boxer. I think us Brits can handle things just fine thanks.
Right. Just send him into the Middle East, and I bet your heavyweight boxer will end the warring there single-handedly. ;-)
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:48 am

Why? we aren't the ones picking fights with the Middle East. :P

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:47 pm

That's exactly what the US said about Germany, until we found out Hitler was trying to make an ally of Mexico. :-D
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Metro
Org Profile

Post by Metro » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:22 pm

jbone wrote:That's exactly what the US said about Germany, until we found out Hitler was trying to make an ally of Mexico.
Actually Hitler didn't do that; Germany contacted Mexico about an alliance in WWI, not WWII. A copy of the famous Zimmerman letter can be found here

As for WWII, yes the Russians could have destroyed Germany all by there little lonesome, but the Russians also came very close to losing. Both Stalin and Hitler were idiots, but thankfully for the Russians, Stalin did not interfere to the same extent as Hitler.

The entry of the United States into WWII insured victory for the Allies. Not only was the US the largest industrial power, but the US also had the trump card, nuclear weapons. Ironically only 80,000 people died in Hiroshima, but over 100,000 people died in the fire bombings of Tokyo.

-Metro

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:33 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Why? we aren't the ones picking fights with the Middle East. :P
Actually British planes the other day helped American planes blow up some anti-air missile sites in Iraq. Y'all were also the first NATO ally to help us blow up the Taliban (very cool of y'all, btw).

As for WWII, the Russians stopped helping England in order to sign a non-aggression pact with Germany. The Russians didn't enter the war either until they were attacked as well. The USA, however, was always supplying weapons, supplies, and "military consultants" (i.e. unofficial fighting troops) to England with the Lease Loan Act at the cost of our own ships and crewmen being killed or captured by German U-boats. England was the only country to declare war without being attacked themselves and I do know that it was British citizens and pilots, not American troops, that kept the Germans out of the British Isles.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:33 pm

Dude... we were having petty jabs at each other without much seriousness.

This isn't exactly the right thread for a history lesson.

In any case, I'm looking forward to AWA despite any world squabbles ^_^

Metro
Org Profile

Post by Metro » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:06 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Dude... we were having petty jabs at each other without much seriousness.
That’s what I thought it was, and I was going to leave the thread alone, but there was some misinformation given. I felt an obligation to at least point out the error and give a correction. (I also made sure that all of the spelling in my post was correct) :D

I enjoy AMV's and I also enjoy WWII history, and I used this as an opportunity to give my opinions on an issue that was raised. Now the issue was off topic, and if this caused any problems I apologies :( .

In a more related topic, I will also be going to AWA. It will be my first con and I entered my first video into the general contest. I'm VERY excited about going and seeing what some have described as the "Academy Awards of AMVs", going to the AMV panel, and meeting some of the excellent creators that will be there.

-Metro

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:21 pm

Wow, I just the best history lesson :shock:

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:25 pm

Metro - no worries, I just wanted to get the thread back on topic.

I have a feeling that I wont be doing anything but amv events at AWA, which is fine by me ^_^... that and drinking of course.

Return to “AMV Contests”