Hypothetical preview of Premiere 6.5....

klinky
Org Profile

Hypothetical preview of Premiere 6.5....

Post by klinky » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:00 am

Hypotheticaly say I got ahold of Premiere 6.5 :twisted: , I would have these things to say about it :

Is it worth it : No.

Is there are better title tool: Yes - it looks very nice.

Does it import MPEG2 directly: Yes - through MainConcept's decoder I believe.

What about these "realtime previews": There is an option for it, but it's half baked. Let's just say you're not going to get any realtime MPEG2 previews. I finally got a "realtime" preview when using two 320x240 bitmaps one with %50 alpha, and both with image pan effects(with keyframes). Things got choppy once I used 640x480 bitmaps.

The thing about the "Realtime Previews" is that it reminds me of the "Render To Screen" option in 6.0. I don't think they really put much work into it. BTW the "Render To Ram" "Render To Disk" - "Render To Screen" are all gone, it's replaced with a simple checkbox that says "Realtime Preview". I never saw any point to Render To Ram or Render To Screen as computers have yet to be powerful enough to display a Premiere project in realtime.

So this is a BIG FAT letdown. The "realtime algorithm" doesn't decrease image quality or really try any tricks to speed up rendering. I believe it's just a "Render To Screen" with the name changed to "Realtime Previews".

What about annoying things like Premiere auto-setting 0.9 pixel size on 720x480 footage, or the "De-interlace when speed is below %100": Neither of these "problems" have been resolved. I wish there was some way I could tell Premiere "No I don't want these settings on all my clips" or visa versa. That isn't so though, Premiere enables these things by default once again.

Other things:

The help files are the same as Premiere 6.0, they didn't even bother changing the image at the top of the page to say "Premiere 6.5". The help file contains no real information about the new features of Premiere 6.5. In fact it even included references to features no longer in 6.5, such as the previously mentioned "Render To Screen - Render To Ram - Render To Disk" options.

Possibly this hypothetical version does not contain the proper help files, it was a hypothetical copy of a hypothetical CD, so I do not believe that is the case.

Premiere looks to comes with the ability to export MPEG2 or MPEG1, through MainConcept's MPEG engine, I haven't tested it out as of yet though.

Remember this was a purely "hypothetical :twisted: " preview of Premiere 6.5....

~klinky

Petro
Location: In the Nuclear Blast Zone of Washington DC, Virginia
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:27 am

Hypothetically, how would the stability of 6.5 compare with 6.0? I've been able to resolve most of the my stability problems by converting my DivX source files to Huffy, but I'd rather not have to do things like that.

Not so hypothetically, I should be able to get a legal copy of 6.5 for $99 - I love educational discounts :twisted:
My Profile There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:39 am

hypothetically it's pretty stable...

I just checked Adobe's website out and the upgrade is actually only $150... Which isn't that bad for what you get...

Pluses:
Built in import of DVDs.
Built in MPEG Encoder.
Nice looking(though sorta overkill) title tool
Slightly speed boost.

I think it's worth the $150... for some reason I thought it was $350 to upgrade.... doh silly me.

Actually the upgrade from Premiere LE( there was a light edition?) is $300 -yeeks...

Full retail is $550... which is pretty steep. I'd wait for 6.5 to come bundled with something like a DV500 if you plain to buy it new.

~klinky

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:44 am

Well the old title tool was terrible so any improvement there is a good thing. Sometimes it's desirable to not have to use photoshop to do the titles, especially when you want them to scroll.

Anyway, thanks for the hypothetical review klinky :)

Petro
Location: In the Nuclear Blast Zone of Washington DC, Virginia
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:49 am

What I meant, was that because I'm a student at my Uni, I can get a full legal copy of Premiere 6.5 (when it comes out) for $99. I don't think they sell an upgrade version there (at the school bookstore)
My Profile There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Varney5.0
Org Profile

Post by Varney5.0 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:57 am

Hypotheticaly speaking could we convert our .VOB files into MPEG2 files and load them into 6.5? I am not an expert but I would thing this way you would lose no quailty and have similar file sizes...Just a thought.

~Varney

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:20 pm

Yeah you can just you TMPEG to demux the vob to a .m2v file and load it up.

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:30 pm

Oh yeah one more thing I noticed is that if you're going to do DVD editing, it's actually faster if you just set the editing mode to "DV playback", it seeks alot faster and seems to render a bit faster too...

Still what I find strange is that Premiere, atleast for me, can't even playback a DVD with out stutter. That's with no effects or anything.. It's just chop city...

~klinky

ShonenDizzyCow
Org Profile

Post by ShonenDizzyCow » Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:12 am

Good hypothetical information, Kilnky.

I'll look forward to test/confirm your hypothesis as soon as it's viable. :wink:

Return to “Video & Audio Help”