Upload and Download Restrictions

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:22 am

Hey Tuplica,

Until the full Donut server is online, only anime music videos should be uploaded. I will make this point more prominant on the upload page. Sorry...

Phade.

Giton
Org Profile

Post by Giton » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:12 am

Hmm, I know this may sound a little bit insolent, but is there a way to download local videos via a download-manager?
The only thing that seems to work is Mozilla's, but it has only little options and a bad usability.
I'm not talking about segmented download or other annoying things people can do with dl-managers, it's just I'm really addicted to AMVs and downloading all one by one costs lots of time :(
Normal Windows download option sucks anyways, cause dl's are not resumeable...

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:50 am

Hey Giton,

Great care has been taken into defeating "download accelerators". Why? A misconfigured "accelerator" can waste tons and tons of bandwidth. Normal download managers should not be affected, though they will not be able to resume downloads (an unfortunate side-effect of defeating "accelerators"). Which manager are you trying to use?

Phade.

Brsrk
Org Profile

Post by Brsrk » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:15 am

Giton wrote:Hmm, I know this may sound a little bit insolent, but is there a way to download local videos via a download-manager?
The only thing that seems to work is Mozilla's, but it has only little options and a bad usability.
I'm not talking about segmented download or other annoying things people can do with dl-managers, it's just I'm really addicted to AMVs and downloading all one by one costs lots of time :(
Normal Windows download option sucks anyways, cause dl's are not resumeable...
I use a program called GetRight, it's an accelorator, but I only use it for big files (over 10 mb) and don't use the segment option. It's a nice little program, it's got a trial time, but if you go past the expiration date/download a lot, it just tells you to enter code, pay, or soemthing else, but if you wait a few seconds, you can just hit "Ok" and you can keep using it. It's avaliable at www.getright.com and I think it's less than 1 mb, can't remember...

Hope that helps ya.
Pwolf wrote:that music was way to "happy" for an anime as dramatic as the kenshin ova... your an evil evil person :P :up: Pwolf
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87528

Bahamut God
Wrong Kind of Special
Org Profile

The one hit rule...

Post by Bahamut God » Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:21 pm

If there is a video that you don't like, but you can see how the person might think it would have been ok. (maybe there was one really bad sean, really short, and the rest was just fine) Will you maybe just deleate the video with a warrning? I really dout there are that many people out there that are just dieing to abuse the system.

I say this because I always forget that I have one or two questable seens in all of my videos.

In a video I just uploaded, the whole thing is a sexual induento about breats, but only one bare pair really show during the whole video. (It's all Ranma movie number two, the beach one)

I have a video that is from the Eva moive, that is pretty artistic, but has nudity, and end of eva violence. (which is not pointless, but is pretty graphic)

I can understand if it's really excessive, like a hentai video, made with hentai titles, to a hentai song.

...What's your take on ninja scroll by the way?
[Visit my Profile, it hates Bush!]
[Feel bad for someone who killed a kid]
"I'm telling you, I want to be a loser."-Khushrenada
I have a titley thing, and you might not. ^_^/

Giton
Org Profile

Post by Giton » Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:16 am

Great care has been taken into defeating "download accelerators". Why? A misconfigured "accelerator" can waste tons and tons of bandwidth. Normal download managers should not be affected, though they will not be able to resume downloads (an unfortunate side-effect of defeating "accelerators"). Which manager are you trying to use?
Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough, sorry.

I'm not thinking about using a download "accelerator", for I know the problems those programs cause.
My primary concern isn't the ability to resume downloads either.

So now my problem in detail:

I'm trying to download every single AMV that's available - I watch them all, so I'm not really what you may call a leech ;) - and till now everything was fine. I just had to right-click on that link and do a "save as", respective "save with getright" (acceleration turned off!) and the videos were downloaded automatically in a queue.
But that isn't possible with the Carrot anymore.
I tried several things but only two worked: Normal Windows download and download via Mozilla dl-manager, but I have troubles with both.
Windows dl: Download speed decreases after a time, and it's nearly impossible to downloads several videos at the same respectivly in a row.
Mozilla: Same as Windows dl, but with (non functional) resume option and no speed problem.
But in the end it's always that I have to wait until one dl is finished until I can start the next manually, or if I succeed in downloading more vids at once, I take some slots that might be used by other members, don't I?
Thus I'd have to spend several hours in front of my PC, if I wanted to keep up with the rate of new AMV releases... :cry:

So I just wanted to know if there is a program that downloads from the Carrot automatically (e.g. when I enter the Carrot-dl link manually) one after another, similar to FTP download.

It's the task of the Carrot system to distribute AMVs to those who want to watch them after all :D

Hope you understand my need 8)

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:25 am

Hey Giton,

I'm not that familiar with how GetRight technically works, but here's how the program should work if you want to use it with the Carrot downloads:

1. When you click on a local link, the download option will start automatically and the dialog to download will appear.
2. You then use this dialog box to say where to save your download and the save starts.
3. If you cancel the download, you will have to wait 60 seconds before attempting to download that particular video again. If you don't wait 60 seconds, you will get an error message instead of the video.
4. If you restart a download using the link, the download will start over at the beginning of the video file.
5. Whenever the link is used, the download script checks that the referrer is from the site, that you are a member logged in (cookie test), that you have permissions to download, and that you have not attempted to download the video in the last 60 seconds. If all of these conditions are met, the download will proceed.

So, if GetRight does not use the initial dialog box to start the download, you must wait 60 seconds and right-click the link that appears. The Mozilla manager seems to handle it just fine (the only manager I tested). IE has a silly "only two downloads per site" registry key setting that can be changed if you want to use the regular IE download thing. No manager or browser will be able to resume a download (sorry, it's a measure to stop accellerators).

I hope this helps. Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.

Brsrk
Org Profile

Post by Brsrk » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:34 am

Getright is a nice program. When I use it on AMV, I don't use the accelorator. It's a little program that can resume files and you can restart them whenever needed. I did this with a vid I recently got, but that was from a non-org AMV (not downloaded locally in other words)... If there was a way that I could somehow figure out the resume feature and get it to download with getright, then I'll be set. Even the sites that say "No resume capapbilities avaliable" lie to you, I had one that went through no problem. It was also a 150 mb file (CS patch) that came straight from the manufacturers site and FTP. I'm still trouble shooting on how to get it working, but I may try mozilla, but I want my resume feature!!! >_<
Pwolf wrote:that music was way to "happy" for an anime as dramatic as the kenshin ova... your an evil evil person :P :up: Pwolf
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87528

ZeMole
Org Profile

Re: Upload and Download Restrictions

Post by ZeMole » Wed May 21, 2003 7:43 pm

Phade wrote:Uploaded videos should only be anime music videos.
WAAAAA :cry: what will become of my lovely VGMVs?
Pass the Razor blades please, the fat lady just sang. :(

Loofa
Org Profile

Post by Loofa » Thu May 29, 2003 10:53 am

ok... this is kinda confusing me...

Now, I've read this thread, but can't seem to get this straight: Phade, regarding uploads, in one post you said that FF-vids are tolerated. In later post you've said FMV's, VGMV's and other non-anime are non-accepted. I've got two Final Fantasy vids, only using the FMV's, no in-gane.

Tolerated or not? A simple Yes or No, please, before I get even more confused ;) .

Return to “Site Announcements”