Why is it that DBZ+Linkin Park is so widely used? (serious)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Why is it that DBZ+Linkin Park is so widely used? (serious)

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:59 am

The only thing that this site does not need is DBZ with Linkin Park. It's enough to make someone's head spin.

But lately I've been wondering....
What's the reason why newbies pick these two in combination all of the time?

I never got into that DBZ crap (gomennasai fans). I do not see why so many insist on using these two. Isn't there something else their minds can do? Many of us do not start out simply by putting DBZ + Linkin Park. Many of us have many greater ideas.

But then here come these newbies or maybe even intermediate people that feel like they have to use these two. If they are shunned by it so much then why start? How did it get that EVERY person comes up with that idea?

I've been curious about this so I wanna hear what you guys think...

leathelanime
Org Profile

Post by leathelanime » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:54 am

Well i think its cause there songs a mostly Fast paced and Dbz IS Fast pace

Dark Kamui
Org Profile

Post by Dark Kamui » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:03 am

Well... it's simple really...

*Monker see, monkey do*

For example I'm not exactly a DBZ fan (Hell, I completely moved away from that eons ago) but I did a DBZ/LP vid in summer of 2001 when I guess DBZ/LP vids werent all that popular at all.

Actually, I had indeed picked up a good concept since the lyrics of "In The End" seem to match only one character in DBZ that came to mind at the time (Vegeta) and so I did my "Linkinball Z" entirely based on that character. I went for a dramatic/angst kind of thing and I think it worked well. Of course, peeps that just hate DBZ right off may not even care that the lyrics actually SYNCH and the video does have MEANING instead of radom scenes.

But anyways, it has more or less become a non-original trend these days. In fact, about 1/20 fanmails that I get peeps say that "I have inspired them" somehow and that they are going to make their own DBZMV...

Worst cases are when people beg me for software/tips or to guide them through the entire AMV creation process. (Something I rarely [If ever?] do)

So it's not that much of a mystery. People just see either my Vegeta vid or any other "good" DBZ AMV and they feel like making a DBZ/MV in order to do something "COOL".

Trust me... I have over 1700+ individualy originated fanmails stored on my comp, so I pretty much know what is going on in the head of the DBZ collective fanbase. =_=;;

One thing I could call a mystery myself is why so many people did pointless vids to Papa Roach or Blink182...

Like about 99% dont have anything to do with the lyrics and I bet someone has allready made a DBZ vid to Blink's "Blowjob" Son.
Another mind boggling thing is how listeners can somehow manage to ignore or neglect all the lyrics in Papa Roach and do Trunks/Last Resort AMVs when the song is in fact a suicide song; The guy stating that his life is shity and in order to get away from it all he must CUT his veins as his LAST RESORT.
It's obvious that fans only seem to hear "CUT" and "LAST RESORT". The leads me to wonder than in fact about %90 (if even more?) of all people dont really even pay attention to what they payed to listen to! @_@

And thus that's why so many fans do DBZ/LP vids that have absolutely no meaning (if any) at all. They seem to pick up on the beats of anything that "sounds cool" and that's it. -_-

Bah, I gave copies of some of my DBZ VCDs and editing software to this friend and by now I think his brother has made 2-3 vids per every song that Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit has ever made. It's pretty funny when he says he's done with his "latest" and best vid and when you look at it it's just pure, random, fighting to some guys blabering non-coherent lyrics. (Even more funny that he sees he is better than me at AMVs)

So... I've pretty muched experienced the horrors of copykating first-hand...

*Summons Holy Sword and stabs at the heart of Akira Toriyama* >_<

Dark Kamui
Org Profile

Post by Dark Kamui » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:08 am

*Summons Spell-Checker and stabs at his typos* _-_

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:10 am

You say you want it serious, yet go out of your way to bash what you're talking about... ;_;

ANYWAY...

DBZ is "mainstream." Linkin Park is "mainstream." When a person first comes to a new area of interest, they're hit with a lot of things. In terms of anime, "DragonBall" may be one of the first things they get an interest in (due to promotion, mainly on television). Linkin Park may be the "musical interest" they bring to this new field they're discovering (AMVs).

It seems that the majority (note: *majority) of people putting these DBZ + Linkin Park videos together tend to be of a younger age (that is, still in high school and younger). These individuals are still at in impressionable age where things in the "mainstream" are the most familiar to them, and they wish to do something with these things.

Also, it may be the lyrical content of Linkin Park songs. Say and think what you will about the band, but the fact remains that compared to the remaining mainstream music (note: *compared to... and hey, even standing on its own..), the lyrical content of Linkin Park songs is MUCH more mature and thought-out than, say, Limp Bizkit songs. I think the fact that Linkin Park lyrics are so easily associated with events that occur in various anime, that it just seems natural to combine the two.

There have been many occasions where friends and I have said that it would seem like "Hybrid Theory" was the unofficial American soundtrack to anime.

DBZ may be one of the most perfect candidates for this combination because of the show's content. It ran for ten years. People grew up with these characters. It's long. It contains so many events that can result in so many emotions (grief, delight, humor, etc) , it's very easy to find something to fit with it.

So if someone wants to combine the two, there's absolutely no reason in the world why anyone should want to deter them from creating that video. Chances are, they're just doing it to amuse themselves, and/or friends. And if they want to be serious about it.. hey.. more power to them. I'd love to see the results.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

Dark Kamui
Org Profile

Post by Dark Kamui » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:30 am

*Grew up watching Tenkkaman Spanish dubs and non-edited Japannese DBZ*

Fluxmeister
Org Profile

Post by Fluxmeister » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:20 am

:shock: 1700 fanmails?

50, about 50 fanmails here lol. Though I am yet to make a DBZ video lolol...

I think the appeal of Linkin Park and DBZ is mainly that the creators like both very very very much and can easily make associations to the stories etc. within DBZ. I am saying this all knowing nothing more than 'Goku' is a character in the show... lol.

In the most basic sense I think it appeals as the most fun video to make.(as a DBZ/Linkin Park fan)

...or in others case: The easiest way to win popularity contests among DBZ fans (this one is BAD! :evil: )

I honestly think that if you wanna make LinkinBallZ video #5980, then please do! Don't expect me to want to watch it... but don't let me tell you NOT to make something you want to.
| NHMK Music Video Downloads | Editing like it's 2006. |

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:31 am

Heh!

1. DBZ is popular
2. Linkin Park is popular

That alone is enough, but there's more!

1. DBZ is an "angry" anime
2. Linkin Park is "angry" music

But wait, there's even more!

1. DBZ has ANGST!
2. Linkin Park has, quite possibly, TOO MUCH ANGST!

They just go together like chips and salsa! Only a lot more angry and angsty.. and popular!

And then of course, the fans of both that band and that show are mostly early teens, so again, we have a connection. Voila!

And given fanbase similarities between anime and bands go, I am shocked we don't have more boy band/britney spears/christina aguillera etc... and Sailor Moon vids floating around than we do. Cuz the main fanbase for Sailor Moon and those teen idol bands would match up well, too. :?
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:02 pm

Most DBZ fans are also Linkin Park fans, go figure. Anyway, the thing is DBZ is often popular to rock, because people think it would be new and cool to show fighting to such and such rock in the background. They ar also relatively easy to do for beginners since they require little editing if all you want to do is show such and such fight with such and such music in the background.

90% of the time, these videos are more or less new background music for an old scene rather than an actual AMV.

§_Akuma_§
Org Profile

Post by §_Akuma_§ » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:33 pm

i think the 2 are a used alot b/c Linkin Park is a very easy band to make a music video with b/c of there lyrics, with LP u can easily match up what is bign said. ppl use DBZ b/c its popular, and u can easily find it almost anywhere. belive it or not but most of LP songs match up with DBZ and what is being said/done. (eg.One Step Closer - Lryic, "....im about to break" and with that u can have Gohan going SSJ2 for the first time or anything else like that, but u get the idea)
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=13690">======§ Akuma §======
2006 § Akuma § Productions</a>

Return to “General AMV”