Fanime 2003 new AMV coordinator wants input

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:37 am

paizuri wrote:Not really. I put a DVD in a big mug and poured some beer on it and it just got all sticky and wouldn't play anymore. Well, maybe next time I'll wipe the beer off before I stick it in the player. :lol:
You forgot to wash the disc off. Do that and it should play fine.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:26 pm

TaranT wrote:BTW, I don't think an applause meter is going to work very well in that "tube" of a room that this year's AMV contest was held in.
We are working very hard at Sakura-Con to make sure that the AMV/OVA contest is in the main ballroom instead of that small room last year.
--Chris ^_^

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:05 pm

Although this Idea would cost a little to create they could use it every year....They should create voting remote like objects on the back of each seat....Of coure they wouldn't be allowed to screw them in so they can make them with a hanger like object to hook onto the seats infront....Have a master computer running a software program that allows the votes to be called.....The cordinator reviews each video with about 10-15 seconds and tells everyone to vote....They'd have 1-?? how many video's they've shown and have each remote only allowed to enter in and confirm one vote after each category has been played.....It would be much more effective....Even though this might cost a bit to construct they could use it every year...That way they wouldn't run into problems with the currently rating systems they have which really suck...

Eji
Org Profile

Hmmm...

Post by Eji » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:59 pm

Well, as far as the contest goes, could you put the limit back to 6 minutes? I know time's an issue, but I think there were some good AMVs around 6 minutes that got cut out.

Also, please, please have PRIZES!! When my friend entered our parodies in the 2002 Fanime contest and won, we were disappointed that all we got was name recognition, whereas Otakon and other places had prizes. I don't wanna sound bad, but I don't put a ton of effort and inspiration into an AMV to just get a pat on the head.

Thanx ^_^;;

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:41 pm

Another thing that I was thinking about was having various judges from a-m-v.org judging the various categories and having them mail me the judging results.

This would allow more participation from around the AMV community and possibly allow for more feedback to the individual AMV creators (through the judging forms).
--Chris ^_^

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:15 pm

Voting:

As an alternative to an applause meter or written ballots, put someone up on a ladder with a digicam with a wide-angle lens and a POWERFUL flash.
Vote each category by show of hands, with a small panel of judges deciding ties or close calls. Having technical merit awards from judges who might notice things missed by the general audience is nice, too.

Seating:

One of my good memories (the few) from AX was hearing that people sho submitted videos were getting tickets to the contest,(good ones up front) without waiting in that godawful line. I decided then and there I'd bust my butt to have a respectable entry ready for AX 2003. (heh, maybe I still will)
I think preferred/advance seating for finalists/submitees is a must. (a bonus ticket or three for said person's SO/close friends is a bonus, too. :)

Prizes:

Something very cool, yet money saving was touched on earlier.
I'd think the chance to meet n' greet one or more of the guests of honor/have a photo taken/get an autograph or sketch/get into the GOH banquet free (pick one or more of the above) scheduling permitting, would be a lot cooler than some sort of random DVD/software package/gift certificate, and might cost less.
Really short on cash to spend on prizes? How about a staff-only tshirt, and a prepaid full pass to next year's con?

<aerosmith> dream on... dream on... dream on... dream on... </aerosmith>

jbone
Org Profile

Re: Hmmm...

Post by jbone » Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:41 pm

Eji wrote:Also, please, please have PRIZES!! When my friend entered our parodies in the 2002 Fanime contest and won, we were disappointed that all we got was name recognition, whereas Otakon and other places had prizes. I don't wanna sound bad, but I don't put a ton of effort and inspiration into an AMV to just get a pat on the head.
I think someone's making these things for the wrong reason... ;-)
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

BigName
Org Profile

Post by BigName » Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:58 pm

Prizes really aren't important to me.... but what would be cool would be a certificate or something that I could use in my portfolio

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:02 pm

You can't really post something illegal in your portfolio...
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

BigName
Org Profile

Post by BigName » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:12 pm

jbone wrote:You can't really post something illegal in your portfolio...
A music video is a music video is a music is a music video, when you're looking for an editing job they don't really care, they just want to make sure you have the skills... and besides... I thought AMV's were legal since they promote the anime and the artist who's song is featured...

and if I can't put it in my portfolio then can't I just have an award to mount on my wall? :cry:

Return to “AMV Contests”