i am a complete newb

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
bionet15
Org Profile

i am a complete newb

Post by bionet15 » Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:09 pm

:cry: i feel realy stupid asking this but i realy dont know mutch about doing this kinda thing so here goes. see i want to post my cool music video and have people be able to download it but i dont realy know how do i need to put it on a fttp site or can i do it strate from my computer or can i put on this site. if you can tell me what to do plz tell me

MAS PRODUCTIONS
Org Profile

Post by MAS PRODUCTIONS » Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:22 pm

Guess I should be the first to say something so here goes. These are your only options as far as having your AMV being able to download.

1. Wait for Golden Donut to come around (might be awhile)

2. Pay money for a host and hope that your host doesn't mind extreme bandwidth

3. Create a FTP account on your own computer (hacking is a big risk)

4. Just send your amvs directly to others through AIM. (problem with that is if no one wants to bother with it they will just say screw it. )

Well those are some of your major options.

Melfina
Org Profile

Post by Melfina » Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:53 pm

Well, you have a couple of options

Ftp on your computer is a decent idea only if you have a good upstream...otherwise you wont get people downloading at 5k from you. Now, about hosting AMVs online, there are numerous sites that might host for you, maybe your best one? Now the site that I run is one of those, so if your interested click the button below.

AMVs can get huge, many webhosts dont like the bandwidth use. Mine contacted me about using almost half a gig of bandwidth a day...they really dont like it. But, they do say unlimited bandwidth, and they had to hold to their contract. Be sure you find one with unlimited, otherwise your gonna be in big problems with the bill
Forum Nublar
Webmaster and founder of

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:51 am

That unlimited bandwidth catch is always full of bullshit. I went through 4 host that offered unlimited bandwidth until I finally found one that limits the bandwidth at 60 gigs/month. Granted we still break that boundry but if I take a couple videos off the main site and Get Beef to host em off his comp everything works out. It's better than having to move to a new host every month because you've used too much of your "unlimited" bandwidth.

We were kicked off Penguin Hosting in less than a day. Machine you can relate to that as well.
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

bionet15
Org Profile

Post by bionet15 » Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:04 pm

thanks thats great can any one give the names of some good hosts that dont mind if you use a bunch of bandwidth and are relativly cheap

MAS PRODUCTIONS
Org Profile

Post by MAS PRODUCTIONS » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:47 pm

To tell you the truth you will never find a a "cheap" host. Something I forgot to mention, in the online amv never expect anything to be free or cheap. For what most people need as far as hosting goes, I wouldn't be suprised if they were charged up to $50 a month.

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:52 pm

I went with powweb.com , but then again I'm not that popular and only really plan on hosting 1-2 videos a month.

Sidicas
Org Profile

Post by Sidicas » Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:58 pm

Or if your looking for something just a bit cheaper montlhly ...
www.edatarack.com has worked good for me for the past month or so. Don't give as much bandwidth as powweb.com does though.

Sidicas
Org Profile

Post by Sidicas » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:56 am

Sorry to bring back an old post but edatarack as of like today...is no longer offering the great deals on bandwidth...Now their only offering like 6 gigs of transfer per month (for new signups only)...if your not signed up already don't even bother. Just not worth it anymore...

Return to “General AMV”