AMV entry question

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
DreamsofaCobra
Org Profile

AMV entry question

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:15 pm

Okay, I have my first two vids done, and I am thinking about entering them in Anime Expo's AMV contest. Rules mention that all footage/music is assumed to be cleared for use in the contest by owners/creators. What exactly does this mean, and what do I need to do to comply? ie do I need written permission?

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:23 pm

Basically, this is a CYA for the con. If any companies come and complain that the con was showing their licensed footage without their permission, the con can point to the release and say that the company needs to talk to you. To be fully, un-sue-ably legal about it, yes, you would need written permission. Is anyone going to do it? I'd be fairly surprised if anyone did- and even if anyone tried, the odds are that the music company would not give their OK (and there's a good chance that the anime companies wouldn't give written OK either- they have copyrights to protect).
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

DreamsofaCobra
Org Profile

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:16 pm

I had a sneaking suspision, but I wanted to be sure. Last thing I need is legal trouble.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:17 pm

-_- AX really needs to word that clause more clearly, it just brings up too many questions with people who have never read it before.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “AMV Contests”