When you plan to Create a Vid do you write it in a Script?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:44 pm

ShonenDizzyCow wrote:I actually tried scripting stuff to the lyrics before, but I found it more comfortable and interesting to just edit the video it by ear. The faster I open up premiere and start editing, and less pre-planning I do, the easier it is for the video to be completed.

I never really capture footage for any of my videos per se. I always copy the whole whackus onto my HDD. Saves time, keeps things flexible.
Same here, but I've recently started jotting down little notes along the lines of what Sarahtheboring does.
Everyone is not the same as you.
Get over it.
And lighten up.

Melfina
Org Profile

Post by Melfina » Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:46 pm

How does it take you 2 hours to do 6 seconds? I couldnt stand with myself if I got that little acomplished
Forum Nublar
Webmaster and founder of

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:14 am

My girlfriend wants to make a vid. Good news is that she has a solid idea, and she did indeed make a script for it.. like, completely. I can see the vid in my head when reading it.

Bad news: It's an Evangelion video to Chop Suey :P

Of course... she had that idea a long time ago before the multitude of Eva/Chop vids came out here.
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Aug 04, 2002 1:35 am

Melfina wrote:How does it take you 2 hours to do 6 seconds? I couldnt stand with myself if I got that little acomplished
I got 6 seconds done in a full working day last week with my latest video.

Some things just take that long to do.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:59 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
Melfina wrote:How does it take you 2 hours to do 6 seconds? I couldnt stand with myself if I got that little acomplished
I got 6 seconds done in a full working day last week with my latest video.

Some things just take that long to do.
Indeed -- some things just don't look right the first time around, so you attack it again. You might find that your idea was just crap, so you clear that portion of the timeline and approach the idea from a different point of view. You find another idea, try to execute it well. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This process can go on for much longer than two hours or a day. I would be surprised if there wasn't at least one person here who has agonized over a few seconds of video for a couple days or a week or two.

In any case, this is me:

Paste assets into timeline. Edit to fit. Possibly apply preliminary filters to get a rough idea of how it looks. Render entire footage and some surrounding context to integrate audio and video (my system isn't nearly fast enough to handle real-time compositing). Almost always find that it just looks like crap. Remove filters and try again. Possibly try some masking or image retouching and chroma key. Re-render. Looks like crap again. Adjust keying and/or masking. Re-render. Damnit, what the hell am I doing wrong? Delete section of timeline. Sit for thirty minutes. Get bored of sitting, decide to work on some programming projects instead. Hit nasty thread-related race-condition bug, lose motivation to debug, return to video editor. Sit for fifteen minutes staring blankly at timeline and clip collection. Play some albums to get self in right mood. Throw self on bed. Get Calvin and Hobbes collections, flip through those, read Bill Watterson's comments. Return to video editor. Realize self is thirsty, get drink, guzzle drink, return upstairs. Stare at timeline again. Brilliant flash of insight. Clip portion from media, paste into timeline. Render rough draft. Hmm, looks interesting. Mask out unneeded footage. Step through timeline frame-by-frame to ensure mask tweens correctly. Re-render to get an idea of the surrounding context. Goddamnit, looks bad. Erase mask keyframes. Re-render. Undo erase. Tweak mask a bit. Re-render. Looks better now. Effects. WTF? Detach effects. Re-render. Hmm. De-saturate, de-interlace. Integrates better. Render more context to see if viewer will be bored or disgusted by change. Looks somewhat okay. Get tired, decide to sleep, perhaps revise some more the following day.

And that's how it can take 2 hours to get 6 seconds of footage.

Professional 666
Org Profile

Post by Professional 666 » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:07 am

I use "luck" 33.3% of the time. So far it's yielded decent results *_*

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:16 am

Professional 666 wrote:I use "luck" 33.3% of the time. So far it's yielded decent results *_*
My percentage of luck usage is about 50% except I haven't had the decent results. =P

Beef
Org Profile

Post by Beef » Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:18 am

I sometimes write down Ideas/concepts so I will not forget them.
http://www.sakkakustudios.com - Witness the Illusion
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=16354" target="_blank" class="postlink">ORG Profile</a>

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:16 pm

Well, there's nothing you have to do. Everyone has their own style. Do what works best for you.
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:37 am

thats true
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

Return to “General AMV”