are there any free or under$10 amv contests

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:45 am

Castor Troy wrote:The "send castor to akon" contest charges $50 bucks to enter. The more money you send, the better chance you have of winning! :)
Sorry, I only donate to the "Send Castor to JACON" fund :!:
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:33 am

Hitori wrote:Nan Desu Kan charges a $5 entry fee if you are not going to be there in person. They hand out awards. They push for people who enter to attend the con as well. I couldn't attend so I sent in my fee and guess what... One of my videos got something! :shock: I'm going this year to see how they run that amv contest. :)

Don't most cons do that anyways? Push people to attend the con itself? 8)
NDK is my home con. The $5 charge is something of a tariff. The staff views the AMV contest as something for the attendees to enter, and not necessarily a contest that should be encouraging anyone to just send things to if they aren't attending. Most people not attending the con will see the $5 charge and not enter, as a result those attending the con and entering the contest have a better chance of getting into the competion without having to worry about as many people who just send their videos out to every convention.

The result is that most of the videos entered at NDK are usually pretty amateurish 1st time amvs, though there are still a great number of highly polished individuals entering as well.

Cybermat
Org Profile

Post by Cybermat » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:43 pm

earthcurrent wrote:The staff views the AMV contest as something for the attendees to enter, and not necessarily a contest that should be encouraging anyone to just send things to if they aren't attending. Most people not attending the con will see the $5 charge and not enter, as a result those attending the con and entering the contest have a better chance of getting into the competion
Serious question: How would they know if someone who sends in an AMV does or doesn't actually attend the con? Checking the AMV submitters against the pre-registrations list is the only way I can think of to verify that they're intending to come to the con (at the time of the AMV submission deadline, anyway). Suppose they don't pre-reg for the con, or don't attend after they do pre-reg?
Otakon 2006 Fan Parody Contact | Otakon AMV Coordinator, 1997-2003

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:15 am

Cybermat wrote:
earthcurrent wrote:The staff views the AMV contest as something for the attendees to enter, and not necessarily a contest that should be encouraging anyone to just send things to if they aren't attending. Most people not attending the con will see the $5 charge and not enter, as a result those attending the con and entering the contest have a better chance of getting into the competion
Serious question: How would they know if someone who sends in an AMV does or doesn't actually attend the con? Checking the AMV submitters against the pre-registrations list is the only way I can think of to verify that they're intending to come to the con (at the time of the AMV submission deadline, anyway). Suppose they don't pre-reg for the con, or don't attend after they do pre-reg?
They have a pretty good computer record system for keep track of attendance. If they haven't pre-registered by the time of the cut off date for video entries then they have to pay $5, regardless to whether they are coming to the con or not. In 2001, the con fell just a few weeks after the whole 9-11 thing and we had a lot of cancellations from people who decided they just didn't want to travel to the con, even though they had preregistered. If you preregistered but do not attend the convention they will mail you your award if you win. They check to see if you are in attendance, and if you are just not in the audience they are pretty good at tracking you down.

Hitori
Org Profile

Post by Hitori » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:34 am

I tried to attend NDK6 last year but ran out of funds after AX (Damn dealers room)... So I sent my video in with the $5 shipping & handling fee if I were to win... 2 weeks after the con, I got word that one of the 3 videos I sent won an Asuka... The other videos were well liked at the con as well.
I wasn't expecting that but it was cool. I love my Asuka!! :roll:
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”