Tekkoshocon AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Tekkoshocon AMV Contest Results

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:35 am

Assuming I am remembering things properly at least, the results were:

Comedy/Parody: "The Maid You Want", Hand Maid May to Devo's "The Girl You Want", Rogue & Flexei Films

Action: "Breaking Me Down", Spriggan to Soil's "Breaking Me Down", Shaggy Productions

Drama: "Forsaken Son", EVA to System of a Down's "Chop Suey!", 9:18 Productions

Romance: "My Funny Valentine", Cowboy Bebop to Frank Sinatra's "My Funny Valentine", MindWarp Entertainment
Best of Show, Best Editing, Best Original Concept- "Alternate Reality", Boogiepop Phantom to Various audio, MindWarp Entertainment

Honorable Mention: "Elegy for the Ghosts", GitS to Moby's "Matrix Theme Song", Stefan Meyer (entry from Germany)

The contest actually went very well, IMO. The only real gripes I have about it were that the picture and sound quality wasn't nearly up to par with what I would have liked to have seen (the contest was run off a compiled VHS tape, and technical problems had required them to do like 3 or 4 D/A and A/D conversions, so all the entries no matter what the original source looked like ended up looking like 2nd gen or so VHS copies. It wasn't terrible, but when you've submitted a full DVD Quality file to the contest, it's a bit of a disappointment when it comes out looking like it did. They are aware of the problem, and have promised to have it a much higher quality next year (and probably not accept VHS submissions, as they were apparenlty what caused at least some of the problems).

The other nitpick was that the ballots were not handed out to people in the actual contest- they were just sitting out afterwards and you had to go out of your way to pick one up and vote. In addition to probably lowering the total number of people who actually voted on the results (all the awards were decided by audience vote), it would have been relatively easy for someone to have picked up more than one ballot and voted multiple times.

One very good thing I have to compliment them on were the little 'bumpers' they made for each category. A short clip from something appropriate to the category was shown to separate the categories. By far the funniest thing in the contest (unfortunately, given I had a video in Comedy :wink: ) was the 'Romance' category bumper. They had a clip from He-Man with Prince Adam and another male character riding on a horse (together) when they faded in the 'Romance' title. I think they left extra space before the first actual video for people to finish laughing- it was really funny.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:28 pm

We all know Carlos's video scared everyone into voting for it :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Machine
Org Profile

Re: Tekkoshocon AMV Contest Results

Post by Machine » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:47 pm

Ashyukun wrote:Assuming I am remembering things properly at least, the results were:

Romance: "My Funny Valentine", Cowboy Bebop to Frank Sinatra's "My Funny Valentine", MindWarp Entertainment
Best of Show, Best Editing, Best Original Concept- "Alternate Reality", Boogiepop Phantom to Various audio, MindWarp Entertainment

Holy Fuckin Bejesus!!!!

*fumbles for acceptance speech.

I wish I could have been there. Damn college. As soon as I get a degree and a job...its CON touring time!

Big thanks to all who voted for my vids :D

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:17 am

They should be getting in touch with you soon to see about getting you the prizes. I forget what the prize for the Romance category was (it was a DVD, but which one I don't remember... going by the rest of the con, likely RahXephon 1 or Noir 1), but they decided to make the prize for the three awards that "Alternate Reality" won the NTHT box set.

Don't assume that it'll be any easier to make it to more cons after college :wink: In college, you tend to have a nice summer vacation to go to cons during- when you're working, you have to use vacation time for them. And when you're married in addition, you have to remember to save vacation time for things other than cons. :wink:
Bob 'Ash' Babcock

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:09 am

Ashyukun wrote:but they decided to make the prize for the three awards that "Alternate Reality" won the NTHT box set.
O_o!!! That's an awesome prize!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:40 am

Ashyukun wrote:They should be getting in touch with you soon to see about getting you the prizes. I forget what the prize for the Romance category was (it was a DVD, but which one I don't remember... going by the rest of the con, likely RahXephon 1 or Noir 1), but they decided to make the prize for the three awards that "Alternate Reality" won the NTHT box set.

Don't assume that it'll be any easier to make it to more cons after college :wink: In college, you tend to have a nice summer vacation to go to cons during- when you're working, you have to use vacation time for them. And when you're married in addition, you have to remember to save vacation time for things other than cons. :wink:

Wow?!!?! A whole box set. That would be nice footage to use indeed!

Well if you marry a woman who loves anime and is hot (rare species of woman) then you sure to be a shoe in for CON touring. Hehehhe :D

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:07 pm

Machine wrote:Well if you marry a woman who loves anime and is hot (rare species of woman) then you sure to be a shoe in for CON touring. Hehehhe :D
(sigh) Now you made me remember my ex-girlfriend who was of that rare specie (I believe they are of the specie "homo-animectus" of the genus "cute"). Grr...now I'm all nostalgic :-( Damn you Carlos!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:56 pm

I think it would of the genus "Kawaii-ne". :p

I didn't quite bat a thousand there. :wink: While more than sufficiently hot and cute, my wife isn't nearly the raving Otaku that I am, but does have a few things she likes (Sailor Moon, AMG, and DNA^2 for example... though her current favorite is Hare Tokidoki Buta, or at least the dubbed import version of it, "Tokyo Pig") and doesn't mind my heavy interest in it. Unfortunately, cons aren't really her thing, though she did stop by AXNY for an afternoon in her Sailor Moon costume 8)
Bob 'Ash' Babcock

rogueandflexei
Org Profile

Post by rogueandflexei » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:06 pm

Wow my husband must be really lucky, I'm cute, hot, I love to go to conventions, I'm a cosplay addict, and we wouldn't have any music videos if it wasn't for me coming up with the ideas and the script. :P
*tee hee*

Um.......yeah......he's so lucky..... *Rogue finishes patting herself on the back*

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:16 pm

rogueandflexei wrote:Wow my husband must be really lucky, I'm cute, hot, I love to go to conventions, I'm a cosplay addict, and we wouldn't have any music videos if it wasn't for me coming up with the ideas and the script. :P
*tee hee*

Um.......yeah......he's so lucky..... *Rogue finishes patting herself on the back*

I so want to be in your shoes right now!!!

College is in my way!! :D

Return to “AMV Contests”