Please I need help.

The_Digital_Phoenix
Org Profile

Please I need help.

Post by The_Digital_Phoenix » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:38 am

I am so torn up over this. I am worried about my VHS tapes. I need to know what can damage them. Heat, cold, vibration from my stereo speakers, the magnets in my speakers, the smoke from my cigarette - oh god the list goes on. I have been told so much and I don't know who to believe anymore. I figured someone here would know.
See, I would love to get DVD but I haven't the money :cry: And besides that wouldn't help me out on the shows I get off T.V.

As you can see I am all turned around so please don't flame me.
I have spent so much time, effort and a whole lot of money on these tapes so if something were to happen to them I would just die. This is like what defines my life - AMV's.

Thanks so much for at least reading this.

Oh, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I wasn't sure where to put this :? [/i]

Petro
Location: In the Nuclear Blast Zone of Washington DC, Virginia
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:04 pm

Check out some blank tapes and see what they say. Also, if you're that worried, I'd suggest making VCD backup copies of your tapes.
My Profile There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The_Digital_Phoenix
Org Profile

Post by The_Digital_Phoenix » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:10 pm

What is a VCD?

Petro
Location: In the Nuclear Blast Zone of Washington DC, Virginia
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:26 pm

A Video CD. Most burners support them. Each VCD can hold 72 minutes of video (You can use CD-Rs to make them) and most can play on any DVD player and any computer. Nero includes the ability to make VCDs on the fly from avi files (Mpegs are easier though) Just use a capture card to grab your video and you can make copies. I'm sure there's some guides on it on the site some where.
My Profile There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:22 pm

Oh, potential sources of damage...heat, moisture, dirt, dust, cigarette smoke, strong magnetic fields, nuclear weapons, radiation, bacterial decay, proton decay, entropy, existence. :D

Seriously, though, if you are that concerned about them, a backup procedure like what Petro recommended is a good idea. VCDs aren't as vulnerable as a VHS tape is, though you still need to be careful about not scratching the disc. :P

Another way: just keep them in a somewhat secure location. You don't have to get a hermetically sealed, sterilized box, but anything that does a decently good job of protecting tapes from most heat, sunlight, and contaminants will ensure a good lifespan for those things.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:31 pm

Convert them to VCD ASAP!!

Because when the russians blast us with the magnetic rays your tapes will be destroyed! :shock:

~klinky

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:13 pm

Klinky is damn right.We will need anime in the post-EMP chaos.
I'm out...

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:17 pm

As Dark Angel put it(the fox show which I hope is cancelled)... people "had money hanging out their asses, but when the EMP hit it was all zeros" and she is just so fucking awesome with her shitastic bike ...fuck her and her worthless xena warrior like FX, oh and buffy can also go stuff a cucumber... and stuff because he has a pointless ass of a show too..

VENTING!

~klinky

Return to “Video & Audio Help”