Capture Card Advice

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
AMVUserII
Org Profile

Capture Card Advice

Post by AMVUserII » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:26 am

Yea i'm lookin' in the market to get a capture card although I want one that can do the following.

::I want to be able to use it to capture without losing any quality or VERY little......I would be mainly using this capture card to capture stuff off the TV and off my Video Games, also I want to be able to capture for long periods of time atleast 2 hours of footage in one session.

If anyone knows of where I may be able to purchase a card like this I would be much abliged if you would respond to thie thread and let me know.

Thanks for your Time,
-"We are the Next Generation in Anime Music Videos. We are Next Generation Films Inc."
-"Some ideas may be over used but Damnit! Some deserve to be done Right!"
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:30 am

oh and how about this capture card

http://www.dazzle.com/products/dcs200.html

Do you think it may suit my needs?

I'm reading through and it clearly doesn't answer how long it can capture in a session and if any quality is lost when capturing.....it lists compatibiliy though.....

Again any help would be appreciated,
-"We are the Next Generation in Anime Music Videos. We are Next Generation Films Inc."

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:33 am

Capturing at top-quality takes more than just a good capture card - you need a system which can keep up with the incredibly high data transfer rates of digital video. If, for example, your hard drives aren't fast enough, you'll drop frames regardless of the input quality.

What are the complete specs of your system, including brand and model of all components?

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:35 pm

Compaq Computer

-2.5 GHz
-Main Hard Drive - 80 GBs
-Secondary Hard Drive - 30 GBs
-1.0 GB of Memory
-External Hard Drive - 100 GBs

Yeah thats the basics of my computer I haven't brought it yet....

But i'll be getting it real soon. And thats the computer I plan to use to run my Capture Card off.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:27 am

Several of my friends have been quite pleased with their Hauppage model 401 WinTV cards.

I think they'd all advise you use Virtual Dub, or Dscaler or something for capture, instead of the stock software that comes with the card.

Gottaname
Org Profile

For me...

Post by Gottaname » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:50 am

I use a USB TV Tuner, it can capture from the VCR, TV and video Camera and give out MPEG 1/2 and AVI. Yeah, your computer must be very fast and have oddles of space. I'm using a 1GHZ computer with 20GB, not exactly good material but it is sufficient. I'm planning to get a new computer (P4 at the least). I'm also thinking of getting my hands on old P2 computers and upgrading their hard disks to 80GB each and linking them togehter using LAN, it's cheaper alternative to buying for powerful computer when you can have smaller computer doing different tasks.

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:45 am

well, your system is fast enough, the question is if your hard-drives are able to take it. and: in which resolution would you like to capture? if it's a lower one (320 x 240 and below) then cheap capture cards like wintv go or TerraTValue will bring very good results.
If you're going to capture in a high resolution (512 x 384 and above), you'll need a very good capture-card. then the only fast enough codecs will be MJPEG codecs. Uncompressed wouldn't work good because most harddrives are too slow to write the avi in real-time.
capture with virtual dub in compatibly mode, or video and audio will dismatch. then it's useful when you compress the file one more time with the virtual dub filter "temporal smoother", level 2 which will smooth all disturbances in the video. no matter how good your capture-card is, it will never capture anything without any disturbances, but the quality can get nearby as good as dvd-rips.

I hope grammar is right ^_^

jbone
Org Profile

Re: For me...

Post by jbone » Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:44 am

Gottaname wrote:I use a USB TV Tuner, it can capture from the VCR, TV and video Camera and give out MPEG 1/2 and AVI.
The USB tuner is a _very_ limiting factor. IIRC, USB allows for only 1.1Mbps of data transfer. Full-quality video takes _much_ more bandwidth than this.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:46 am

Antonio Zalles wrote:Compaq Computer

Yeah thats the basics of my computer I haven't brought it yet....
Why but a Compaq? They load their computers with so much extra $h1t, and they're often hard to expand...

http://www.alienware.com is the only place I'd buy a personal computer from, if I didn't built 'em myself. :-)

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:42 am

JCD wrote:well, your system is fast enough, the question is if your hard-drives are able to take it. and: in which resolution would you like to capture? if it's a lower one (320 x 240 and below) then cheap capture cards like wintv go or TerraTValue will bring very good results.
If you're going to capture in a high resolution (512 x 384 and above), you'll need a very good capture-card. then the only fast enough codecs will be MJPEG codecs. Uncompressed wouldn't work good because most harddrives are too slow to write the avi in real-time.
capture with virtual dub in compatibly mode, or video and audio will dismatch. then it's useful when you compress the file one more time with the virtual dub filter "temporal smoother", level 2 which will smooth all disturbances in the video. no matter how good your capture-card is, it will never capture anything without any disturbances, but the quality can get nearby as good as dvd-rips.
Yes I do plan on capturing in High Resolution (512x834 and above), What Capture Card would be the Best for capturing at that kind of resolution with losing VERY little quality if any is lost?

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”