Need advice with working with still shots

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Need advice with working with still shots

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:25 am

HI there guys.

I've ran into an anime that I think kicks the behind of many out there (story and character-wise of course).

The only problem with making this video is that it consists of mostly still images. That's right, a DVD with mostly still images -- but of course, a LOT of still images -- almost looks like seeing it from the creators' computer. Of course I don't want to make it a slide show, but could anyone give me some advice to liven-up the still shots?

For those interested, the title is Phantom of Inferno. Notice that nothing has been made for it on the .org except for one measly video, and that's not really one cause it only has a few seconds' worth. Of course many people will tell you that it sucks because of the lack of actual video, but if you can grit your teeth and go through it, I think you'll like it as much as I do. You won't find much info on the net cause of course not many people even know it exists, so best to ask me if you're futhur interested.

Anyway, i'm going off topic. So can anyone gimme any advice on what to do?
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:26 am

Any info on what song you'll be using?
I'm out...

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:15 pm

Here's some songs that I am considering:

Metal Gear Solid OST - The Best is Yet to Come
Phantom of Inferno OST - Promise Land
Delerium feat. Sarah McLauchlan - Silence

all are great songs. if you don't know what they sound like but can't get access to listen to them, then they are vocal songs with a bit of mellow and relaxing tone, yet at the same time a little bit of drama.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:58 pm

I could only find Delerium and Sarah Mclachlan.In regards to that song:
I'd say fading in and out between stills is an obvious effect that'd work well.Some long pans,if the footage and song allow it,would work.Is there any action in the footage?Short moments of it would be good.At the end of the song,maybe a closeup or extreme closeup of one of the main characters?

Just my ideas.Without seeing much of the footage,I can't make too big an judgement on what'd work and what wouldn't.My final conslusion though:Aim for slowish drama.
I'm out...

Schu no ko
Org Profile

Post by Schu no ko » Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:18 pm

I agree. And make sure that if it is a lot of stills, don't make it too long. I remember this one "video" at Sakura Con that was to an anime version of The Little Mermaid set to a classical piece. All. Stills. For like five minutes. I understood what they were trying to do, but it was executed in a very boring manner.

So, just make sure its not too long or else your audience will get bored. If worse comes to worse, try editing part of the song out.

Good luck to ya!

Return to “General AMV”