Fanime 2003 new AMV coordinator wants input

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
wwf_htm
Org Profile

Post by wwf_htm » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:37 pm

i've never experienced a vote by ballot. what are they like and what do they entail?

thanks

htm

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:45 pm

wwf_htm wrote:i've never experienced a vote by ballot. what are they like and what do they entail?

thanks

htm
At Akon, fan favorite was determined by vote ballot. Basically, they handed out sheets of paper with all the videos shown in the contest and you would sort your top 5 from most to least favorite. At the end of the contest, everyone gave their ballots to the people running the contest.

wwf_htm
Org Profile

Post by wwf_htm » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:47 am

mexicanjunior wrote:
wwf_htm wrote:i've never experienced a vote by ballot. what are they like and what do they entail?

thanks

htm
At Akon, fan favorite was determined by vote ballot. Basically, they handed out sheets of paper with all the videos shown in the contest and you would sort your top 5 from most to least favorite. At the end of the contest, everyone gave their ballots to the people running the contest.
how long does it usually take to tally up the votes?

thanks again

htm

scottanime
The One
Org Profile

Post by scottanime » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:16 pm

Ballot voteing will be takeing place by have all the finalist videos listed on a sheet of paper with places for attendees to vote on their favorite video in each category and best of show. Judges awards will be voted on prior to the show. We are curretly in negotiation on how specifically votes will be tallied. We do have the resources to count votes immediately following the event to close AMV finals with an award presentation, this will however cut out around 40 minutes worth of finalsit video entries and these will be pushed down to the semi-finalist screening. The option is to open Cosplay 2 hours later with the award presentation first, then lead into cosplay. This option will add the 40 minutes of finalist videos.

As always looking for informed input
Scott Peterson
NDK AMV Coordinator 2006-2022
Sac Anime AMV Coordinator 2007 & 2010
Fanime AMV Coordinator 2003-2006

Nappy
Org Profile

Re: Audience Judging

Post by Nappy » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:45 pm

wwf_htm wrote:I went to AX last year and I'd swear that the video that combined Cowboy Bebop and Dragonballz was getting more of a reaction that the video that actually won the comedy award. The way the announcer decided which video was the winner told me 2 things - the announcer decided that there is no way a Dragonballz video should win top honors at AX and/or he decided to let the guy that was going to coordinate the contest next year win. Having a ballot system would remove all doubt that the video that won was what most people wanted to win. Now I'm not trying to diss the video that actually won. I liked it a lot. However, I also think that the way it won was a little shady and that any doubt would have been eliminated had the judging system been better.

HTM
Umm DBZ wasn't in comedy for one, two it didn't get more applause that the run off for comedy did which was spectacular and 6 mins. Now maybe in that runoff their lil meter was maxed out and they just gave it to the coordinator who knows. DBZ was in action and lost to chemicals which had more applause but from the back rows and balcony :/ and chemicals won, and even the creator was suprised, ppl later argued that it would have won for his comedy and not action anyways, and if it was in comedy I don't think it woulda beat out the other two....

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:01 pm

TROAL wrote:
3) Audience acclaim is a poor indication of certain categories like "Best Editing, Best Choice of Music, or Most Original". The average fan is not an AMV maker, just an AMV watcher, so categories like this are better left to a panel of savvy judges.

I apologize if this is a repeat of previous comments. Just wanted to add my two cents.
That's the reason the contests I'm coordinating have best video voting by audiance, as well as a best video by judging. All the best artistic, etc catagories art judged as well... This is the best way I found on balancing the two.... This is not to say other contests are not fair or do it wrong, I thing it's great having a variety of methods applied at many different contests and some work better at a particular convention. Since there are so many contests thease days, people can always choose which to enter if judging to them is an issue....

Vlad

Vlad

wwf_htm
Org Profile

Post by wwf_htm » Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:56 am

Nappy wrote:
wwf_htm wrote:I went to AX last year and I'd swear that the video that combined Cowboy Bebop and Dragonballz was getting more of a reaction that the video that actually won the comedy award. The way the announcer decided which video was the winner told me 2 things - the announcer decided that there is no way a Dragonballz video should win top honors at AX and/or he decided to let the guy that was going to coordinate the contest next year win. Having a ballot system would remove all doubt that the video that won was what most people wanted to win. Now I'm not trying to diss the video that actually won. I liked it a lot. However, I also think that the way it won was a little shady and that any doubt would have been eliminated had the judging system been better.

HTM
Umm DBZ wasn't in comedy for one, two it didn't get more applause that the run off for comedy did which was spectacular and 6 mins. Now maybe in that runoff their lil meter was maxed out and they just gave it to the coordinator who knows. DBZ was in action and lost to chemicals which had more applause but from the back rows and balcony :/ and chemicals won, and even the creator was suprised, ppl later argued that it would have won for his comedy and not action anyways, and if it was in comedy I don't think it woulda beat out the other two....
hmm... it was in action? whichever category it was it, i'd swear that it got a bigger reaction. and yeah, if it won, it probably would have been for its comedy aspect and that'd suck if that were the case. i think someone suggested this, but i'll say it again - the people coordinating this event should choose which category to put the videos in. also, maybe there should be a separate action+comedy section 'cause i see those a lot. putting that aside and getting back to whether using a noise meter is good - i still say it sucks except for maybe the fan favorite award.

htm

Declan_Vee
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Declan_Vee » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:27 pm

1. Fan switches should be labelled :wink:
2. Budget for a repeat of the competiton finalists/entrys on the next day of the convention. This way if all hell breaks loose on the original timeslot, you'll have a backup plan, and time to repair any damage.
AMV Search | AMV Guides
AMV Live. "It's like Iron Chef, only too many cooks will spoil the broth"

Nappy
Org Profile

Post by Nappy » Sat Mar 15, 2003 5:34 pm

wwf_htm wrote:
Nappy wrote:

HTM
Actually they do move stuff, they moved my drama to comedy, but I said in the entry they could move it if they wanted cuz its kinda both. o_o
hmm... it was in action? whichever category it was it, i'd swear that it got a bigger reaction. and yeah, if it won, it probably would have been for its comedy aspect and that'd suck if that were the case. i think someone suggested this, but i'll say it again - the people coordinating this event should choose which category to put the videos in. also, maybe there should be a separate action+comedy section 'cause i see those a lot. putting that aside and getting back to whether using a noise meter is good - i still say it sucks except for maybe the fan favorite award.

htm

Cybermat
Org Profile

Post by Cybermat » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:31 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:That's the reason the contests I'm coordinating have best video voting by audience, as well as a best video by judging. All the best artistic, etc categories art judged as well... This is the best way I found on balancing the two.... This is not to say other contests are not fair or do it wrong, I thing it's great having a variety of methods applied at many different contests
That's one of the cool things about the existence of so many convention (and non-convention) AMV contests these days: people can try anything they think will work well, and see what flies and what tanks.

The nice thing about technical stuff is that it can be "perfected" in the sense that technical knowledge can be shared, and mistakes once made need not be repeated.

The nice thing about non-technical stuff is that anything goes. AMV Screenings can be competitive or non-competitive; they can be as structured or as unstructured as desired; contest winner(s) can be determined by many valid methods--fan vote, peer review, or a panel of judges.

The tough part about doing a contest is balancing the desires of all the parties involved... AMV makers would like as much exposure as possible, but any con has limited space & time to share between all of its various activities... audiences can only sit still for screenings of certain durations... contest staffers are never numerous enough to implement all the ideas there are.

Return to “AMV Contests”