hardware ?

extractnegative
Org Profile

hardware ?

Post by extractnegative » Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:34 am

I got a athlon xp 1.7+ with a geforce 4 mx 64 drr,128 ddr, and a 60 gb hd, is the geforce good for dvd ripping or is my system too weak?

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Jul 26, 2002 12:45 am

yes

No your system would work fine actually.

~klinky

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:30 am

The graphics card is nearly irrelavent when it comes to DVD ripping. What you're looking for there is

(1) DVD speed,
(2) CPU / FPU performance,
(3) Memory performance, and
(4) Disk subsystem performance / disk space available.

In those respects your system is more than adequate.

However, you will want more memory when you start editing. RAM is cheap these days; I suggest at least 512 MB of RAM. Go for 1 GB+ if it's possible.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:33 am

Yeah, It'll work.

When you upgrade, think of this:

My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:52 am

you'd think someone who had so much money to spend (read: waste) on hardware could afford an ergonomic keyboard.

Oh well, I guess they can afford painkillers when they get rsi.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:13 pm

s /Waste/Tax Writeoff (it's good to be self employed) :D
My eyes are worth it, especially when it means I can pay uncle sam a little less next year.

I've had two 20+ inch CRT's in the last seven years, and I find that they fail quite a bit sooner than I'd like them to, and size, weight, and heat production are also issues. I really doubt I'll ever consider a CRT over 19" again.

I always keep a spare keyboard and mouse around, as they seem to die when you need them most. Those IBM model M's are nigh indestructable, and make a great backup, especially at $2 from the local thrift store.

That pic was taken the day those screens arrived, and I had not had a chance to replace my MS ergo keyboard which died an untimely death *cough*brattylittlecousin* at that time.

My bottom line is this: there is such a thing as "enough" RAM, generally 256mb to 1gb will work for most applications, (128 is a little slim, exactnegative) but one can never really have too much hard drive space, or screen real estate.

So there, or something. :)

Shulocc
Org Profile

Post by Shulocc » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:15 pm

I know exactly what you mean man. I keep a spare machine with a little bitty 750AMD and a 6GB HHD. I can't begin to count the number of keyboards, mouse, speakers, and assorted 3-4GB hhds. My latest creation looks like C3-PO right now. I need to get a new case, I'm runnin out of room. I'm trying a SCSI system now and the only major difference I've noticed is the price. A 36.4GB HHD cost 350 after tax and shipping. But like you, it's a tax write-off.
"Hope is the pain we feel that makes us try again"
-----Chico Science

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:10 pm

Why do you guys go through keyboards so fast? I only bought a new one because it doubles as a USB hub.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:25 pm

If you get a good-quality keyboard - such as an indestructible archaic IBM clicky-type or a slick but sturdy NMB softtouch (such as the black Monorail keyboards) - your keyboard will last forever, or until you pour the better part of a 2-lliter bottle of soda onto it.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:32 pm

jbone wrote:If you get a good-quality keyboard - such as an indestructible archaic IBM clicky-type or a slick but sturdy NMB softtouch (such as the black Monorail keyboards) - your keyboard will last forever, or until you pour the better part of a 2-lliter bottle of soda onto it.
The keyboard in my pix IS an IBM model M clicky-type. its also heavy and sturdy enough to make a decent weapon, if necessary.

Generally, spilled Beer/soda, and the occaissional messy spoo are what ruin keyboards :twisted:

jbone: lliter???? :lol:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”