Working With D2V In Premiere

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:32 pm

FurryCurry wrote: I'm only using the one movie for this vid, but hey, once you can open an mpeg2 file in Premiere, you can chop out and transcode whatever you want to the codec of your choice, ne?
Well... yes but that's not the point. You can do that in virtualdub.

The point is to edit directly from the vobs and preferably multiple vobs. You can already edit perfectly well with one dvd2avi project file using the VFAPI virtual .avi maker. I'll try the Ligos codec out for stability and see if you can use multiple sources safely.

This will need serious testing though as it's uncertain how it will react to, say, using footage from multiple sources in one frame all with effects.

It's easy enough to test, though - I can just get it to render Shameless Rock Video from the mpg stream :)

I don't have a great deal of time for testing now but I'll try it later. Personally I think I'll be sticking to avisynth but if this is a working method then it's an alternative.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:46 pm

Wow, that's some neat stuff.

Just wish it worked better. The playback is fine in Premiere if you just dbl click on the file, but it's jerky once it's on the timeline.

Hmmmmm....

~klinky

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:11 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote: Well... yes but that's not the point. You can do that in virtualdub.

The point is to edit directly from the vobs and preferably multiple vobs. You can already edit perfectly well with one dvd2avi project file using the VFAPI virtual .avi maker. I'll try the Ligos codec out for stability and see if you can use multiple sources safely.

This will need serious testing though as it's uncertain how it will react to, say, using footage from multiple sources in one frame all with effects.

I don't have a great deal of time for testing now but I'll try it later. Personally I think I'll be sticking to avisynth but if this is a working method then it's an alternative.
I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I'll try a multi-source project when I finish the one I'm working on now. (my first! :? )

I just can't get avisynth or frameserving to work for me. I always get an error or a crash, no matter what. :x Only thing left for me to try is to recreate the d2v file as mentioned above in this thread. I *really* went over my avisynth script carefully, I just can't make it work.

BTW, "Shameless" owns. I need to learn all I can about how you did all that and get me some skoolin'. :D

klinky: I don't notice too much chop, and I partially blame the 5400rpm drive I have the source on. Maybe moving the audio to another drive might help smooth it out. Procs are nowhere near maxed during timeline playback, must be a throughput problem, for me at least.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:18 pm

What DVD authoring software are you using?

~klinky

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:39 pm

Hmmm... Just wondering... why the hell DOENT premiere allow you to edit from MPEG-2 files? The prog costs so much, can't they buy the license or whatever thats required?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:19 pm

klinky wrote:What DVD authoring software are you using?

~klinky
Its called MyDVD, and I'm a little embarrased to say that I've yet to use it for anything.
It came bundled with the refurbished Pioneer A-03 I got a good deal on, but so far I've only used the data disc burning software, Prassi PrimoDVD.
(Which I don't like very much. I'm going to install a full copy of Nero, as I understand it does DVD's now.)
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:33 am

Well looks like this thread has been dead for a bit but figured I'd give my input.

I first discovered this way back in August of 2000 while working on my blue sub video. The problem is that DirectShow filters are not frame accurate. From the AVISynth beta docs that old Ben Rudriak-Gould wrote conercing DirectShowSource:
DirectShow video decoders are not required to support frame-accurate seeking, and most don't. As long as you just read a portion of the video sequentially you should be fine, but heaven help you if you want to do anything more complicated. This limitation doesn't apply to AVI files, or to any other format for which there's a frame-accurate DirectShow decoder.
Suffice it to say there is not a single MPEG2 playback filter I've found that is frame accurate. Thus it is useless for editing. For Converting it works fine - in fact using DirectShowSource in an AVS file and then opening it in VDub to convert to Huffyuv works fine - although I find DVD2AVI gives better video quality at the sacrifice of speed.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”