AWA PRo Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:15 pm

digital submissions ambigious?

they are just an adition to the normal submission rules

all contests can be submitted digitally

if you upload for the pro contest (digital is cd or uploading) you still have to send the blank tapes

and if anybody else has problems with buying postage.... please contact me

i want to work out a method for anybody to submit

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:23 pm

Administration talking here, no you don't need a proxy for pro contest. We'll do our best to get the award to you one way or another. (Although the box of awards to people we can't find keeps getting bigger every year.)

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:34 am

the AWA Pro contest deadline is this friday

if you are thinking of submitting... you need to get things togethor soon

as a good option... you can send the blank tapes and return mailer ahead... then friday request an ftp accoutn to upload with

if you are outside the country or unable to get postage and mailers... PLEASE contact me... i can work somethign out... i really want to open this contest up to anybopdy who can and wants to enter...
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

dji
Org Profile

Post by dji » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:51 am

Quu: my AWA Pro entry is in the mail.. I put it in the mail yesterday.. you should have it by Friday (no doubt).
"12 out of 10 crazy bald guys luv my new avatar!"

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:04 pm

Quu, Yeah you should have if not have already my tapes ^^; Stupid Canadian postange :p

Bleh... ^^

Oh well I still can't wait for AWA ^^

Petro
Location: In the Nuclear Blast Zone of Washington DC, Virginia
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:08 pm

Well, I finally decided not to compete this year: 3 VHS tapes + 1 CD + priority mail round trip postage = more than I want to pay for a contest. ^_^

If we can send blank CD-Rs next year I might be more inclined to compete.
My Profile There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:33 pm

your going to wait a VERY long time

I do not forsee any time in the furture putting the video entries onto CD-r for judging

the quality is just not there....

maybe eventually DVD-R... but that is a LONG way away... (way to many compatiblity issues)

I am sorry... but that is the way I see things...in some places VHS is still king
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Petro
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:13 pm

How many hours of videos do you expect? In DivX I'm usually able to make near DVD quality (640x480) videos that are about 2 hours and can fit on one 700 MB CD-R. If you drop the quality to VHS (320x240 - well, 352x240 if you wanna get technical) I could probably double that number.

With modern burners being able to burn a CD in 4 minutes easily, you get 1 copy of the votes (assuming 24 hours of videos - lord I hope it never gets that big) you get about 1 person's videos every 30 minutes (giving time to change CDs)

Let me know next year if you think you might want to try it on a trial basis - then again, if the competition gets much bigger I'm afraid you'll loose your sanity before I ever get involved. :wink:
My Profile There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:26 pm

a) I think Quu knows how to encode things. He's not a technical guru for no reason you know.

b) not everybody has a PC that can play divx

c) not everyone has a computer (which also rules out vcds)

d) Dropping the resolution wouldnt save you enough bits to double the amount of videos you can store.

e) I'm not having my videos fucking re-encoded to divx thank you very much. VHS is still superior, has fewer technical issues and is universally accepted (especially as Quu can make tapes in different formats such as PAL)

Petro
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:55 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:a) I think Quu knows how to encode things. He's not a technical guru for no reason you know.
I was never doubting his abilities. I just thought it might be an interesting idea to try.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote: b) not everybody has a PC that can play divx
Which is why it was just an idea, and obviously wouldn't be forced on everyone. (which is also the reason I encode my videos in multiple formats)
AbsoluteDestiny wrote: c) not everyone has a computer (which also rules out vcds)
Again, see above.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote: d) Dropping the resolution wouldnt save you enough bits to double the amount of videos you can store.
It was a rough estimate that would obviously varry video to video.
AbsoluteDestiny wrote: e) I'm not having my videos fucking re-encoded to divx thank you very much. VHS is still superior, has fewer technical issues and is universally accepted (especially as Quu can make tapes in different formats such as PAL)
Thank you oh so much for the mature and informed language you used here. I respect your opinion, but I disagree that VHS is "superior" to all MPEG-4 based codecs. They're designed for different media, so I don't think a fair comparison can be made between them.

If DivX were as poor as you claim. I highly doubt Blizzard would have chosen it for all the Warcraft III cut scenes.

I wasn't trying to make policy, just make a suggestion for future cons. I personally just didn't want to spend $20+ to send my videos to a con I would not be attending, that's all. I like the idea of the Professional contest very much, and I wish more cons did it.

Good luck in the con AbsoluteDestiny.

-Petro

Return to “AMV Contests”