Here is a stupid or maybe smart question...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:10 am

Lossless MPEG??? that mpeg2? i need to read Ermac's guide again.

Pwolf

klinky
Org Profile

Re: Here is a stupid or maybe smart question...

Post by klinky » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:57 am

Pwolf wrote: PS: ok i had to say it some time... Klinky... That darn Avatar of Misato makes me laugh for some reason. everytime i see it ^_^

Now I feel bad for being so mean :oops:

Lossy = it drops information, say it removes certain types of color information that your eyes won't notice. Things like MPEG, reg MJPEG,MPEG2, DivX.

Lossless = no information is dropped. Things like Zip compression, programs you download off the infternet CANNOT have information missing from them, so you have to compress them, but preserve the data so that when you decompress it, it's a exact copy of the original.

HuffYUV uses that type of compression. So there is NO data loss to the original image.

Now if you have MPEG2 .vob files, those are lossy and have already had a lot of data thrown out of them(data you probably won't notice is missing when you view it). How digital video conversion works is that it takes that compressed data, uses the codec to decompress it into a uncompressed bitmap frame, then takes that uncompressed bitmap and then sends it to another codec so that it can be compressed again.

So going from mpeg2 to huffyuv will not save you space, since it will be compressing, what your mpeg2 codec has already decompressed.

It's basically acts like it was never compressed at all once it comes out of the codec.

Now lossless MJPEG is alot like regular MJPEG except it doesn't drop any/as much video data as regular MJPEG.

You can pick up a lossless mjpeg codec <a href="http://www.jpg.com/video/">here</a>. Tho you have to pay for it.

~klinky

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:25 am

You were being mean O_o? I allready got the lossy and lossless part down, i just don't know too much about mpeg2. Thanks for the help, i turned the 4gb dvd into 1gb buy cutting the vobs.

Pwolf

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”